Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

DX8.1b... help confirm: flashing textures problem fixed

Working fine at this point!FS2002 is running as smooth as always, so no difference at this point.Ed#2

Guest flightpro08

I agree with some other XP users. I'm completely lost on the install process. No readme, no help files, nothing. I think I did it right, but then again I think I've done lots of things right that turn out to be wrong. Anybody with XP understand 100% how this interested "patch" install works?Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com

I just downloaded 8.1b and went to CVG (where I always get grassy ramps). The flashy stuff is pretty gone, but still the "creeping grass" as I approach the gates...try it...DaveKCOS

Guest PaulL01

Just a reminder to make sure you install the right version of DX8.1b for your operating system.For win98SE and winME users there is a painless 12mb install.exe that will update your previous version in less than a minute once you have down-loaded the file.Win98/winMe go here:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release...earch&ordinal=3If you use Win2k or winXP you will have to settle for the 25mb down-load for the end-user Redistributable version that developers can include in their product as yet the smaller upgrade version is not out and you may want to hold off untill then. But for the brave: Down-load, save the file and then Run the executable to unpack the download files. win2k and winXP users first may want to read this post concerning some great feedback from aparently MS on the subject go here:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8If you use XP you may want to wait for the official DX8.1b upgrade that may be a stand-alone update simular to the win98/winME version or it may find its way in to the service pack but plese don't quote me on that. ;)And then if you are sure you want to go ahead the Down-load can be found here:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release...earch&ordinal=3Thanks to all who are able to report results concerning the Z-buffer problem. :)

I had the flashing concrete problem but I havent seen it forever. The only thing I can contribute it to was my upgrade from a G3 to a G4. Im just not sure when it went away. Im still using dx8.1. BobG

Guest PaulL01

>I had the flashing concrete problem but I havent seen it >forever. The only thing I can contribute it to was my >upgrade from a G3 to a G4. Im just not sure when it went >away. Im still using dx8.1. >>BobG Hi Bob,Thanks, How about the very small auto-gen objects? Some of them like the airport red and white checkerd equipment housings have a small concrete pad that would blink like crazy at many airports, if you see those please get back and report.Thanks again. :)

Guest flightpro08

I just want to confirm that there will be an easier method to installing the upgrade for XP soon?Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com

I installed the XP installation yesterday which was part of the 24 meg distribution file, Looking at System info three files have been changed, ddraw.dll and d3d8.dll and qdvd.dll, both have got a date of Feb 2002 excecpt qdvd.dll which is dated April 2002, the rest are dated around august 2001.As this pic shows my flickers didnt go away :-( dont know why either.Ive got a geforce3 card btw and using 29.42 drivers.Craig Kiltie

Further to my post I read on a MSDN news group that you have to wait until Windows Service Pack 1 is released before the installation will work properly.This was posted by a Microsoft employee on the newsgroupInstallation notes: On Windows XP, you will need to download the latest Service Pack, or install the corresponding hot fixes. Please see the following Knowledge Base Articles Q321178, Q307207, and Q318507, for more informationI tried looking up q321178 but couldnt find it, so I guess I will have to wait for Windows XP service pack1Craig

Guest PaulL01

As far as I know DDraw.DDL should be 5/1/02 as for what exact files are changed you can look at the directx.logSince you are running XP it was early this morning that other steps may need to be taken for an XP install, there is a great post here on the subject:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8Please get back to us when/if you follow through.Great Pic BTW, captures perfectly the problem as I would see it on various setups, do you mind if I steel it to use as an example? I will of course provide credits. :-roll

Hiya PaulYeh course you can steal my piccy.Here are the titles of the hotfixesComputer Does Not Resume After You Connect a USB Camera (Q307207)(win2000 only)DirectX: AmCap Does Not Start When You Install It As a Service (Q318507) This one you also have to get straight from Microsoft, by emailing them or calling them personally. It replaces the Quartz.dll and they say its best to wait for the service packs for XP and service pack 3 for Win 2000 for a fix.The other one didnt exist when I did a search for it so I dont know why or even what it is. I guess that I will have to wait for the service pack which I think is due out soonish, anyway its not like I cant live with some flickering textures, its been like that for months anyway.Craig

Guest PaulL01

>Hiya Paul >>Yeh course you can steal my piccy. >>Here are the titles of the hotfixes >>Computer Does Not Resume After You Connect a USB Camera >(Q307207) >(win2000 only) >>DirectX: AmCap Does Not Start When You Install It As a >Service (Q318507) >>This one you also have to get straight from Microsoft, by >emailing them or calling them personally. It replaces the >Quartz.dll and they say its best to wait for the service >packs for XP and service pack 3 for Win 2000 for a fix. >>The other one didnt exist when I did a search for it so I >dont know why or even what it is. >>I guess that I will have to wait for the service pack which >I think is due out soonish, anyway its not like I cant live >with some flickering textures, its been like that for months >anyway. >>CraigThanks Craig, consider it stolen! :-lolThanks again, (also the added info)Later

Guest Claviateur

No I am still geting flashing textures on the runway with 8.1b :(I am using Win ME + GeForce2Michel

Well maybe this is a good thing?I just looked at my DirectX files thru dxdiag app.None of my files have changed. They are all original Xp installed DirectX files that all say:Version 5.01.2600.0000 Final Retail, English, 8/23/2001All of them say that. I check this before the update and after. Since the install took less than 1 sec im going to say in my case it did not work.????????Ed (The other Ed):-hmmm