Sign in to follow this  
bigtallman

New Processor

Just a quick question please. Im gettting a new processor for Christmas, after its been installed do you still need to ask for a new code now that SU2 is out?Richard Wheatley

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you're moving from a non-HT Intel CPU to an HT CPU, it's probably not going to be as simple as just dropping it in. It may work...but it won't work well. I had to reinstall WinXP to get all the proper low-level support drivers to load up right with the new (3.06HT) CPU.So it may be important to know, going in, what the deal is if you have to reinstall the whole OS.CheersBob

There was some discussion on Pete Dowson's support forum about this recently I recall.Just realize going in (I'm assuming an HT CPU is your upgrade) that you will probably be up against a reinstall...so back up anything and everything. Especially remember to save your Internet Explorer bookmarks out as an html file for reimportation, address books in outlook etc. That's where I hosed myself. That and wasting a day and a half trying to recover, with each step just digging the hole a little deeper.WinXP said it found/installed new drivers on the first boot after the new CPU went in...and it worked...but it was slower than before. After the XP reinstall I saw the performance gains I paid for. It appeared that some of the low-level drivers, and some of the higher level ones (like Creative Audigy) made choices in the driver setup based on the CPU in-place when the OS was installed.Good luck!Bob