Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

Do you need to input every waypoint or fix for the fmc?

Guest speight

The best planner is free and it generates RW plans here;---http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/If you read the instructions carefully, you will see the flight plan in correct format with sid and star near the bottom. This can then be quickly typed into the fmc and activated.If using FSNavigator, it will create almost RW plans with sid/star, you then save the plan, export to fs with the file type; EGLLEGPF001.pln, then, if you have the export module from pmdg web site, you can export it to your pmdg plans folder and will be able to load it direct into the fmc using the co-route function. eg; when you exported, the co-route name will be EGLLEGPF001.rte. Type this into the co-route box and off you go.If you make the plan with fl. simulator's planner, save itin the save box, then using the free tool from avsim, "plan2route", convert the fs plan into rte format, stick it into pmdg flt plans then it becomes a co-route.To make fs atc recognise your plan is a bit complicated, but is possible; lets say you have the same plan saved both in fs as EGLLEGPF001.pln and in pmdg plan folder as EGLLEGPF001.rte with the proviso that you set the fs altitude to the correct first height restriction of the sid,(you need charts for this) then you can start your situation by loading your saved IFR plan from fs. Load the route using co-route function, get IFR clearance setting the atc specified height resrtriction into the mcp, taxi, take off and when told to contact dep, just tune dep - don't contact them just yet...... let the fmc fly you through the sid then when you get towards the end of that height restriction, call dep and fs atc will cycle through a couple of commands, then say the words "resume own navigation". Now you can select v-nav and successivly ask fs atc for a higher altitude, until you reach your desired level.When approaching your destination and shortly before your TOD, successivly ask atc for a lower level and when they come back with "you are xx miles xx turn rt expect vectors" you can then choose from the text atc menu the correct approach procedure with a transition point. PHEW!!!!!Hard work eh?, but with practice-quite possible.Much better though to fly online with vatsim, ivao, fsinn, or whatever. The other options of course are at present; Radar Contact and one or two new atc programmes that are shortly gonna become avalable. Radar contact is pretty good though, it allows you to fly your dep/arr procedures, but some of the voices are computor weird. The backgroung chatter is ####-on though!Microsoft learning centre has a lot on using built in atc and it is worth reading if you want to be able to manipulate it.Of course, the simplest way would be to just not use atc, but that is not realistic and if you like to fly in crowded skies and in IFR as commercials do in RW, it is better to have atc vector you away from other traffic.

I didn't know PMDG had an export module. I still think I'll create my own or use FSBuild, LOL.That default ATC work-around seems like too much work. :-lol ETA: That website for planning in nice. Thanks for the link. I might just use it for some of my GPS GA flights.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Buck Bolduc

I have FSbuild. If it's set up properly it saves FP's in both formats. One with a .pln for MS and one with .rte for PMDG's FMC.When you use airways it's sorta like the interstate highway system. Interstate I-80 goes across the country, like an high altitude airway can. If you get on at exit nn in PA and get off at exit nn in CA the fmc would fill in all the exits in between by itself. So if you enter the entry point and then the exit point it automaticaly fills in all the waypoints in between. As Cris or Randy said you can see all those waypoints that were filled in automaticaly when you go to the legs page.Of course you have to enter the entrys and exits from airways on the RTE page.If you left Las Vagas and entered NORRA Direct---NORRAJ9 ------DELTA (Flying NE)On the legs page you would seeNORRABERYLMLF (Millford VOR)DTA (DELTA VOR)So you entered NORRA as your first fix (entry)and then DTA as your exit.But BERYL waypoint and MLF are entered auto because they lay on airway J9.When you get to DELTA you most likely want to branch off to another airway. Find one that goes close to your destination and put it under the VIA colume with the exit point to the right of it, (Right LSK)Once you get the hang of it, nice. I'v had it enter a hundred waypoints automaticaly.Hope this helps.Regards

Guest frankathl

Hi Joe,Which version of FSBuild do you have? If you have the latest(payware) version, you can configure it to generate BOTH a PMDG flightplan AND an FS9 flightplan simultaneously. That will solve your problem.BR,Frank

Guest frankathl

Hi Chris,The payware version of FSBuild does have a map which is quite useful in Plan Mode, especially for choosing the appropriate SID and STAR for your route. BR,Frank

Hi Frank are you saying that having the payware will let me file a .rte and a .pln for pmdg and fs9 meaning the exact same flight plan, so that will make atc read my whole IFR flight.Joe

Hi guys I found a converter from .pln to .rte which will enable fs9 to vector you the same flight plan in your pmdg for IFR, you can use high vectors but i believe vor to vor is easier to manually type in, if needed in case of deviations, intersections seem more complicated. The file is(PLN2RTE) found in the avsim library.Tell me what you think?Until now all i did was create a vor to vor and manually import to fmc but with this tool i can create longer flights and import into the fmc automatically. The good part is proper vectoring of the flight and no flight plan typing in the fmc which can be so long on some flights.Joe

>Another question though what happens with atc now i can't>have an ifr flight because fs9 will not direct me at the same>waypoints as i filed with fsbuild. And i want to use atc?In Fsbuild2 select 'both' the PMDG and the Fs2004 export options.Fsbuild then creates the exact same plan for FS9 as for PMDG and you have FS9 ATC using the same plan you are using with the FMC.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

>Hi Frank are you saying that having the payware will let me>file a .rte and a .pln for pmdg and fs9 meaning the exact same>flight plan, so that will make atc read my whole IFR flight.>>JoeYes that is exactly what he is saying.Feel free to send me an email at alstoer1@compuserve.com if you still need assistance in setting this up.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Hi its a little costly for a program that is only a flight planner just my opinion. Don't get get me wrong i have the free one and it works well but its missing the fs9 option i believe it only has copy to'pmdg' creating a .Rte flt plan.

>Hi its a little costly for a program that is only a flight>planner just my opinion. I think maybe you underestimate the features available in version 2.0. It's not merely an upgrade from version 1.0.But okay, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.>>Don't get get me wrong i have the>free one and it works well but its missing the fs9 option i>believe it only has copy to'pmdg' creating a .Rte flt plan.>The 1.43 update to the free version exports to both FS9 and PMDG.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Yeah, I've messed with it a little. I just wish I had a map like FSNavigator that ran outside the sim. I like how FSNavigator shows everything on the map, like the FAA paper ones I have. I don't want to run the sim just to look at it or have it taking memory when I'm not using it for a flight.I do like FSBuild, however, I like to make my own plans a lot without SIDs and STARs. They often take you too far away from the airport. I know you can disable using these in FSBuild, but I still like the option of flying waypoints that aren't always part of a standard plan.Joe - I hope I was of some help. I didn't know about all these plan coverting apps or exporting options. I'm sure you're an expert by now, LOL

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest frankathl

Yes, Joe, although it's been forever since I used the FS9 flight planner! If you have SID/STAR in your original plan, I'm not sure how it treats them, but it should get the waypoints, at least? I am at work now, and won't be near the sim before Sunday night, but I'll check it out then.BR,Frank

Guest frankathl

Oh, right, Ernie! Haven't used the freeware version, so didn't know it could export to FS9.Cheers,Frank