Sign in to follow this  
Guest malcolmt

Extended Flaps at the Gate

I also had the impression that it is not a bug of the FMC but rather was caused by wrong Navdata-Files, therefore I put quotationmarks around "bug" ;)

On the -300 not setting the CRS window to the correct ILS inbound course will have a pretty major effect on the approach. Same on most glass cockpit aircraft. The Autopilot figures out how to intercept the LOC using loc lateral deviation and selected course.On the NG (also on 767's and 744's similarly optioned), a backcourse approach will be set up if the course selector is more than 90 degrees in error. The G/S pointer should also be biased out of view.As you say, it can be quite embarrassing if you don't set up the course correctly.Cheers.Ian.

Interesting Chris and Ian, gotta make sure we have that "mistake" on the 744 Ian ;-D[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Hey guys I don't post often, though I do often lurk around. :-)I just wanted to let you all know that leaving the flaps in the 'FULL' down position during taxi to parking or the gate is in fact an internationally recognized signal for help. More so on a military installation than a civil airfield.I recall a story told to me of a fellow crew taxi'n to paking here at Tinker who 'accidently' missed a step in a checklist, (Raising the flaps) and was subsequently met in mass by security forces prior to shutdown. Quite a funny scene really... Imagine AWACS being pulled over, guns and all, on it's own base. Now imagine the look of dumbfounded suprise on the pilots face, who didn't understand what was going on.. LOL Bored as they seem, those guys (Security Forces) really do pay attention.. LOL :-lol-Jason Peters E-3 AWACS Flight Engineer USAF (Former B-52H Crew Chief) Jason.Peters@cox.nethttp://www.feelthere.com/banner/erjpilot.jpg

Directly from the FS crew ops manual.FLAPS 15If there is a chance snow or slush was trapped (or could get trapped) in the flap components, click this button to instruct the FO to set the Flaps to 15 for the taxi-in, as well as trim the horizontal stabilizer full nose down (done to prevent melting snow/slush from running into the balance bays, which could freeze on the stabilizer limit switch). Retracting the flaps all the way up could damage them if snow or slush gets trapped in the inboard flap wells. Once at the gate, call for maintenance to check the flaps.I don't work with aircraft quite on this scale but it seems like an entirly logical reason.

Flaps 15 is fine.. and it is a logical reason. We follow a similar prcedure with the E-3 to prevent damage due to ice. However Flaps 15 is not 'FULL' flaps. If you wish to use your flaps as an emergency signal, they must be left fully extended after landing. There are a few exceptions to this rule, as some aircraft are known to taxi and park with the flaps fully extended. Such as a B-52 for example.Hope that clarifys things a bit. :-) -Jason Peters E-3 AWACS Flight Engineer USAF (Former B-52H Crew Chief) Jason.Peters@cox.nethttp://www.feelthere.com/banner/erjpilot.jpg

Malcolm:1) Yes, this IS true. It IS an international signal that you wish the assistance of law enforcement; it is something that every airline pilot and flight attendant knows.With that said, every now and then, one gets a little behind on the after landing checklist and ends up taxiing around the airport with flaps down. In MOST cases nothing will happen unless you pull up to the gate with them in the same fashion which would definately get you a radio call asking if the flaps are broken or you want a SWAT team to kick in the galley door :-lol .We have joked many times watching pilots taxi with flaps 30 wondering if he needs armed assistance.2) Your course knob on the MCP should be set to the runway heading. You will find that if you set up your approach in the FMC and do not have the course selector locked in, you will get a warning. Why? well of course you could land with it in any position you want, but for the sake of situational awareness, why would you? When flying strict IFR and you are flying the panel the old fashioned way, if your HSI course is wrong, you have a good chance of blowing your approach.Hope this helps.Mike T.