Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

why do you say HEAVY for example for a 747

Guest dwinters

It is important so that ATC know that you are a large aircraft. This ensures that they keep adequate separation between you and smaller aircraft, to avoid you catching up with them or them bouncing around in your slipstream!!!David

Joe, From my understanding the "HEAVY" suffix is only used in the USIt is used mainly to alert ATC and other aircraft that you are a large beastie and be aware of wake turbulance as well as assisting ATC for separation. 747, 767, 777 DC-10, MD11 and of course the mighty concorde all use the HEAVY suffix.Hope this helps

Guest Jeff_DCA

>Joe,> From my understanding the "HEAVY" suffix is only used in>the USNegative sir, heavy is a term used certainly in the US and Europe, and worldwide to my understanding. It is used for aircraft having a MTOW of 136,000 KG or more, putting them into the heavy category of aircraft. The suffix is therefore used as a warning of the associated wake turbulence, as you correctly point out. :-)Cheers,Jeff

Guest aarskringspier

And the 757 fits in that category because of its massive engines.

Guest Simuflator

Normally (ICAO) you append Heavy to the callsign on initial contact with Tower on departure and on initial contact with Approach en Tower on arrival.In Canada (and maybe the USA) we say Heavy in all calls.Have fun!Remco

>And the 757 fits in that category because of its massive>engines.Nope, 757 is not considered "heavy". No pilot flying 757 would identify himself over the radio as heavy. 757 however has its own category in the ATC due to particularly strong wake turbulence it leaves behind. Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest aarskringspier

Ok Michal, Ok.

Guest allblack

Michael,What's it's 'own' category in ATC then? Does it have a name?CheersTim

>Does it have a name?Yes, it is 757 ;)They adjust spacing and add extra distance if you are following a 757. I have a training syllabus for Traffic Management Coordinators and if I get to it I believe I will be able to find that the spacing for 757 is actually larger than for 747.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest neeraj.pendse

757 can be greater than 255,000 lbs some times, and I *heard* that in those cases it can be called as heavy.It is interesting that the wake of a 757 is very strong for its weight. The reasons are unknown still, right?- Neeraj

Guest neeraj.pendse

757 can be greater than 255,000 lbs some times, and I *heard* that in those cases it can be called as heavy.It is interesting that the wake of a 757 is very strong for its weight. The reasons are unknown still, right?- Neeraj

>They adjust spacing and add extra distance if you are>following a 757. I have a training syllabus for Traffic>Management Coordinators and if I get to it I believe I will be>able to find that the spacing for 757 is actually larger than>for 747.ICAO classifies the 757 as a heavy in wake turulence category, nothing more nothing less. No special separation required, just the normal heavy separation.However in ATC there are many different rules in different countries, so maybe Michael if you find that section again in your manual you could also tell us from whom those manulas are (ICAO, US, whatever)?Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest takki113

Michael,Yes I think you may be wrong, I have herd way too many times listening to the ATC at my airport (KMSP) I have herd many 757's identify themselves as "heavy" esp the the 757-300, just thought I would let you know.