Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimmer

how will it run on my system (last post put wrong stuff down)

Guest jimmer

this is the correct stuff for my computerprocceserintel pentium 4-2.66ghzmemory512mb ddr-sdam 333mhz (hopefully 1gb)storage 80gbvideonivdia geforce4mx -440128mb dedicated video memoryand ut on 100% sorry for the mess up this is the correct things on my computer

Guest D17S

Go for the gig-O-ram and a new Vcard. That MX Vcard is just not enough and with just 512/ram, swapping back and forth to the desktop takes forever. You're not building an Uber-system, so just get a name brand's economy PC3200 ram. Make sure it has a lifetime warranty. That's the only real quality criteria to look for . . . and an additional 512 meg will be plenty. The Nvidia 6600GTs are probably the best bet right now. Gotta be the "GT" though. Any mfg is fine. Buy the cheapest one. Your system really couldn't take advantage of a 6800, so why spend the extra $$$? But watch out. These modern Vcards are a big load. If wierd thing start to happen when you install your new vcard, think Power Supply. If you need a bigger PS, a name brand 400 watt is better than a cheapo 500 watter. Pay a little more, but stick to a name brand PS. Now overclock that 2.6 to 2.8 (If you spend anoher $50 on a new CPU cooler, it'll go to 3.0-3.2) This O/Cing thing is no big deal. I've been running my 2.8 at 3.1 for years. I did finally break down and spend 50 bucks for the fancy fan though. Now I've been at 3.4 for 6 months and it's running 10© degrees cooler than it ever did before. No problem. It just takes a couple of changes in the Bios. You are within $200.00 of a stable, fully functional MSFS system that will run just fine at med-hi settings and you just updated your system so it can go for another couple of years before the new games render it (finally) obsolete. . . . and in the mean time with these hardware changes, you'll enjoy MSFS soooo much more. Now, ever heard of VATSIM? Good luck.

Guest jimmer

where can i get the video card in the uk

Guest Buck Bolduc

>where can i get the video card in the uk Sam is 100% correct wrt your PSU.For AGP based boards I recommend Antec's 430 watt PSU. It has seperate rails for 12 and 5 volts. Beware of combined units, there cheaper but you get what you pay for.For PCIe dual vid card setups you need even more power, think 550-600.

That was the deafult video card that came with my computer and i can tell you FS was like a slide show. Then I bought a ATI Radeon 9600XT and it improved immensely (spelling?). After about a year, I bought the Radeon X800 PRO and it only made a small difference as far as performance. My conclusion, get a better video card, and you should get some good results, but if you really want an improvement, move up to a Gig of ram and get a 3.2 processor or something.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest D17S

These's a non-GT version of the 6600 that boasts 256 meg-o-memory. Don't go for it. 128 megs is fine, and you gotta stay with the GT version. Even if you had a non-GT 6600, it's had to see that a ATI 9600 would show a dramatic performance increase. Sounds like something else was going on. The 9600 was (still is) a great card, but time marches on. That ATI 800 WILL give the 6600GT a run for its money though; I just like the cost/performance ratio of the 6600GT with non-Uber systems. On Matching Vcard to Machine:I put a 6600GT, then a 6800GT, then a 850XT in my ~3.2 CPU

Guest jimmer

would the gig of ram on it's own do anything

Guest D17S

You bet! Notice how long it takes to swap back and forth between the desktop and MSFS? That's your 512-O-ram completely 'filled up' by MSFS and having to be cleared out before anything else will run. An extra 512 will certainly help. But that darn Vcard is your real bottle neck. How about this. An extra 256 meg-O-ram will get you over the hump. (A single stick though, so you can get the other 256 later.) Your box will actually stay usable even with MSFS running. Then save up and get a 6600GT (Watch for rebates. $125 at Best buy). These days, anything less is a waste of $$$. That's what you really need. Your CPU is plenty. I'm running a 6600GT with a 2.8 and that darn PMDG airplane is just beautiful.

Guest jimmer

i am thinking of get a new v card but i would want to buy it from a well nown brand in the uk

Guest D17S

No Best Buys in the UK? How could you folks get by!? It's my favorite toy store. Maybe some one could help. I haven't been to the UK since Wimbledon in '84. Loved it. The weather was just my old stompin' grounds in Northern California.

>No Best Buys in the UK? How could you folks get by!? It's my>favorite toy store. I find it pretty easy to do without going there and I have 3 of them within 5 miles of my house. ;)

Guest D17S

Ah, then that can only nean one thing. There has to be a Fry's or a CompUSA close by. They're building a new Frys near me. I'm gonna go block the bulldozers. It's my only hope.