Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scott Campbell

Dual Monitor - cannot move the mouse to 2nd monitor

Guest gasebah

Hi pros,I am using a two monitor setup now for some time and I still have probs at times.Initially when I set it up everything is as it should be. But after some time I stumble over the following problems.1. After switching between the Windows desktop and FS2002 I cannot move the mouse over to the 2nd monitor anymore. I first have to click a window on the first monitor and move it, or enlarge it. Then suddenly I can move the mouse over. This problem is only FS2002 related. It never occurs on the desktop.2. After a week or so performance of FS2002 is degrading and I get stutters. Especially when I click stuff on the 2nd monitor. A reinstall of the drivers helps for a certain time, then I have the same problems again.Both monitors are running frm a GFTi4600 with dual monitor output.2nd monitor is running at 1024x768x32. Primary monitor is running at 1600x1200x32.What the hack am I doing wrong.Thx fr any help,Alex

Hi Alex,Make sure that you are in "cockpit" view and not "Virtual cockpit" view when you change to the desktop.Ed

There are 3 little tricks I have picked up about FS use with two monitors.Free up the mouse pointer to get to monitor 2 by doing either of the following. Undock any window (GPS, radio stack, panel, etc.) and move it over. Or... Move the mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen until it "expands" and left click. Either of these will free up the pointer for unlimited use on monitor 2.Trick 3....If some FS or third partie key combinations fail to execute (and they will), move the mouse pointer back to monitor 1, and left click anywhere on the screen. They will then work.Finally... If you have 2 monitors working, get FS Navigator. In this configuration it is an absolute must have, and makes the sim much more enjoyable !!!!Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Guest gasebah

Hi Bob,thx fr all the tips. Of course I have FSNAvigator. That is why I started all this 2nd monitor thing. So basically it seems I did not do anything wrong. I will have to work around all these things a little.Alex

I had the same problem, especially when trying to put FSNavigator on the second monitor. I found the solution (for me) was to open another instrument -- GPS, for instance -- and drag it over to the second monitor, too. Then, bingo! I could move the mouse to that monitor with ease. Seems like there was a problem with FS2002 recognizing that it had been stretched to 2 monitors when only a third-party module (FSNavigator) was placed there.Bill Womack

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Aidan,Are you running Fs2002 in full screen mode? If you do, then moving the mouse to the second monitor is not possible.Actually, it is. Instead of choosing Primary Display Driver (for the full screen display) choose the entry for Display1 and that will allow you to move the mouse across to the secondary screen.I have three entries in the display drop-down box : -Primary Display DriverNVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 (.DISPLAY1)NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 (.DISPLAY2)This certainly works with a Ti4600 but should also work for other graphics cards that support two displays. I can't say whether it will work where the secondary display is driven by a separate PCI card.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I haven't had the problem for some time and I was just thinking what I may have changed to get rid of it. The only thing I can think of is that I made sure the primary monitor resolution was the same in FS as it was in Windows. This fixed another problem I was having - when switching between full screen and windowed mode, the undocked gauges would change size and position. All is well now.Andy (YSCB)

I'm running dual monitors, full screen, primary off GForce3 and secondary off TNT2 PCI. Sometimes the mouse won't cross over to the secondary monitor. All I need to do is move the cursor to the edge of the primary and left click once and the problem is solved. This has always worked for me.David

Guest gasebah

Hi David,do you also have the feeling that performance is degrading after some time. I seem to get stutter after a certain time when using 2 monitors.I there any advice on the resolution of both monitors. should they both ru at the same resolution (which I would not like), or does it make no difference.Thx,Alex

Guest Scott Campbell

Alex,I have no problems with two monitors. I also use full-screen and have the FS resolution at 1024x768, and the second monitor at 800x600. I use FSNav on the second monitor (as well as just about everything else, including FS_Meteo, and some other programs I run). As was stated above, I select as Primary display driver to be "unit 0". I have dual-monitor support on the card.I only get performance degredation if AI stacks up over time. It's a good idea to reset AI once in a while to fix this. Othersie, I have no rate drop. I also use RamBooster to free up memory over time, or let it handle it automatically. This helps a lot.

Guest gasebah

Hello Aidan,now that is the great tip that works!!!!Everybody try it. No more ging back to the cokpit view and clicking around. I love this because I have the GoFlight stack. Now I can fly my planes from VC without ever going back.Thx a lot Aidan. Great tip! Strange enough noone else here seems to know this.Alex

Alex,Aidan? Sorry, it's Ray. Glad it helped - I found out purely by accident.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest gasebah

Yeah Ray,I saw it immediately after I issued the post. I wanted to edit it, but it did not come up for such a long time that I started a flight frm ESSA to EHAM in the Falcon. All in VC. Did not touch the keyboard once thx to GoFlight and your tip. Now I am back to the Forum and I hope a lot of people using two monitors read this thread cuz I am sure most of them do not know this Display 1 trick. No probs ever since.Thx again.Alex

Cheers Alex, thanks for the acknowledgement and the nice words. Happy flying!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather