Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

747 engine startup sound

>Listened closely right now on the external sound (in spot>view) when the engines are spooling up and in that view you>can at least hear them but even there I think the volume is>very low.Richard, go back to the ITVV DVD you mentioned before, calibrate your volume and listen to all the inside/outside engine sounds. It is really very quite, I think PMDG got is 100% right this time.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

>Mmmm... Maaaats... your pearls of wisdom are really full of>significance and usefulness.This particular pearl of Mats' wisdom is actually very useful and significant. But you are welcome to "sweep it under the rug" if it doesn't fit your agenda.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

OK, you have my word I won't even say a word about the engine sounds when the MD-11 is released ;-)

Richard Åsberg

Yes, I will do that Michael as soon as I find the DVD...I know it's here somewhere and I'm looking forward to it now after all these talk about sounds. When I looked at it before I never paid that much attention to the various sounds but more listened to Cpt Carter and his colleagues.

Richard Åsberg

Well Richard you can always ask! But if both the developers and the experts on that particular aircraft tell you it is correct what you hear then you should accept that ;)Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

>I never paid that much attention to the various sounds but>more listened to Cpt Carter and his colleagues.Just so happens that my first officer on the way home tomorrow is Senior first officer Alan Rattagan as featured on the DVD in question!He agrees, there`s no noticable engine noise on start up:-)There you go-straight from the horses mouth(as we say in England-no sure why)regardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Wow Jon, what a coincidence and thanks...now I will rest my case on this one :-)Say hello to Alan and tell him the DVD is great!! Lost count on how many times I watched the movie when I first got it ;-)

Richard Åsberg

No no no no,If there is one flaw with the Queen it is the engine start up noise. If any of you guys have LDS 767 or have heard it..that my friends is what engine start up should sound like. You should hear a deep vibrating sort of sound, similar to the Queen's shutdown noise (but in reverse). Btw engine shutdown noise is excellent, why did engine startup fall short? I have flown business class on the upperdeck (just behind flight deck door) and I can tell you that you can definately hear the engine start up. I am sceptical of the opinion that you can't hear it, and btw you can definately hear the APU start up. Sorry guys but this start up noise has bothered me since release date, I have tried mentioning it in previous forums but it hasn't really generated discussion till now. I hope this will be worked on and not just seen as a "pet hate" or "idiosynchrasy".CheersTristan

Hi Tristan,I haven't been convinced either until I received Jon's comments on the subject - see higher up in this thread.I still think it would be cool to hear those huge engines spooling up on start but appearently that's not the case IRL so I guess what you hear now (nothing) is the closest to reality you'll get when it comes to the engine sounds on startup...

Richard Åsberg

I just rang my mate's dad who is a senior captain for Qantas. He mostly flies in the simulators now but he is rated 747-400. Anyways, he told me that you can definately hear the engine's start up in flight deck, and he disagreed to not being able to hear them at all. He further explained that on the 747-400 you can start two engines at the same time which is quite an impressive sound. In my opinion PMDG could atleast provide a more subdued version of engine shutdown noise (but in a reverse assending fasion). By the way John sounded quite curious about the Queen once I started telling about how detailed it was. He wants me to show him the next time he's in my neck of the woods.CheersTristan

>I have>flown business class on the upperdeck (just behind flight deck>door) and I can tell you that you can definately hear the>engine start up. I am sceptical of the opinion that you can't>hear it, and btw you can definately hear the APU start up.With all due respect but those kinds of comments are just silly. Sitting in the cabin or sitting in the cockpit are two COMPLETELY different things! On a flight deck there are a lot of ambient sounds which you do NOT hear or hear them differently in the cabin, and of course there is the wall separating the cockpit from the cabin.So if you can hear something sitting in the cabin that does not mean it is also true for the flight deck. I'm sorry Tristan but that is a simple fact...Best regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

OK, looks like we have some different bets here and I guess the only way to be 100% certain is to listen yourself...but unfortunately I guess that won't happen in a near future...at least not in my case...Thanks anyway for sharing what you found out from your friends dad and hopefully Jon will listen more carefully for exactly what he hears from the engines during startup on his flight tomorrow and then share it with us.

Richard Åsberg

Markus,Ok maybe there is a difference between sitting one metre away from the flight deck door to being on the other side of that door. And maybe that differnce is - "ok I can definately hear engines start up", to - "wow I can't hear a thing, but gee I sure can hear that APU though." Isn't the APU a small engine in the back of the plane? Go figure. I understand the implications for recognizing a fault so soon after update, but my argument is just applying common sense. Surely people, there could be a compromise in recognizing that this argument has SOME validity, as opposed to being out right wrong. Lets not let pride get in the way of an even better product. CheersTristan

Guest teeloo

>Also on the topic of cockpit sounds does anyone else think>the spoiler sound is a little over the top?? I'd suggest it's>almost impossible to hear them when deployed in flight. Can I>remove the sound manually?>>-Paul :-)>Are you talking about the Lever-sound (servo driven) or the wind noise.The servo is a cockpit noise... fairly loud.The wind noise is very noticable in real life as one of the biggest things in flight (wing airflow) gets disturbed.However, it all depends on IAS... nice of PMDG is that they really made it clear when flying above 220 IAS-ish or below.Thats where I like the engine sounds at appoach, they are more 'there' then infight otherwise.Teeloo