Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

747 engine startup sound

>can start two engines at the same time which is quite an>impressive sound. Sorry, I am not going to accept any hearsay from anyone about any 744 sound, not even from your "mate's dad" (how many times I heard a similar line :-hmmm). The ITVV DVD has really high fidelity sound recordings and I can judge with my own ears what sounds there are and whether they are impressive or not. You are dead wrong, there are no "impressive sounds" that you speak of, and by the way they do start both 1 & 2 engine smultaneously on this Virgin Atlantic 744 DVD and the whole precedure is very well recorded.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest Andrea

Many thanks Marc,hope it will be soon, because due to the manner used by the 747 to manage sound files, it is not possible to use a standard FS9 sound package as it is, in place of the original PMDG one. The people who have tried know well what I mean.Andrea

Right the definative answer on start up sound:between 30% N2 till 45% N2 there is a very hushed low frequency growel which peaks at about 40%n2 then fades away. I had to make a real effort to listen for it though as theres a lot of fan air noise from the aircon and window blowers that drown it out.The noise is obviously very different on the flight deck than sat in the cabin you can`t try to compare them,you can`t hear a cabin PA from the flight deck for example and thats quite loud down the back.Just for the record I was down for breakfast with 5 other 744 pilots the other day in the hotel and no one remembered hearing any start up noise from the engines when I asked them.So the answer would be yes its there but you would only really hear it if you were making an effort to do so.If thats not a good enough answer, I`ll try and phone some one`s dad who once sat on the upper deck cabin or something for a second opinion as they all ways seem to know :-)regardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

When I started this thread I didn't think it would grow into such a huge one but I guess this concludes it.Many thanks Jon for your participation despite all your boxes waiting to be unpacked ;-)All the best,

Richard Åsberg

Jon, very informative and very satisfying answer. :-waveMichael J.

No problem guys,I meant to listen for the shutdown noise but I was just so tired I forgot,which is also why i slammed it into the ground landing at LGW on the way home. Oh well ,nothing fell off,I`ll try harder next time!Jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Hi,Ok from Jon B's perspective he has to ###### up his ears to hear engine start up noise which he described the noise. I ###### up my ears and listen hard in the Queen and I can't hear anything. Just the noise of the engines when they reach idle n1 speed. SO obviously I'm not hearing what Jon is hearing in the real thing. Furthermore, I feel quite passionate about this issue, and I'm not going to say: "yeah I think the start up engine sound is 100% realistic congratulations PMDG!" This isn't going to get results. And those who seem sceptical about my "mates dad"..well let me say this, I have read a lot of people on these forums who claim they are 767,747,777 and USS Enterprise Starfleet commanders. When I landed in Canberra from Melbourne on a Virgin B 737-800 I asked to visit the flightdeck (like a little kid). I was talking to the first offficer about his job in general and he was interested whether I did any flying. So anyway I told him I plan to get my PPL, but in the meantime I am just flying on my PC. Lets just say he gave me a look like: 'dude go and fly a real plane'. I love my flight simulator, but after sitting in the 737-800 cockpit, I can't imagine why any real airline pilot would still be a flight sim enthusiast. My scepticism over airline pilot interest in FS9 is just as valid as other's scepticism about my mates dad. CheersTristan

a friend of mine who is a pilot commented at how real it was, but he didnt want to do his work on the computer, he just wanted to play the fighter simulator games. I think any pilot who hates the idea of flight sim cannot come to terms with the fact that being a pilot is more about having the money to spend on training that it is "god given talent"

Guest thscholz

>If thats not a good enough answer, I`ll try and phone some>one`s dad who once sat on the upper deck cabin or something>for a second opinion as they all ways seem to know :-)>>regards>>Jon:-lol CheersThomas

Guest Andrea

Jon,I'm not able to check what real 747 pilots hear in the cabin (that is PMDG747_ENGSTART file) when they start engines (nothing to argue) but I can definitely say that the spot view sound of engine start (that is xPMDG747_ENGSTART file) is very far from being a realistic reproduction of a 747 engine start cicle (e.g. the first 20 seconds of silence and the clear rattlings when it starts to be audible) regardless of the engine we talk about: GE, PW or RR. I invite you to listen to it using any kind of sound player. What I mean is only that it could be easily fixed with a better quality and more progressive sound file.Andrea

I want to throw here my own personnal experience of what one can hear in a 747-400 cockpit during start-up, since I was lucky enough to experience it twice: almost nothing, no sounds of the engines. A tiny vibration maybe, that's all.You can see the engines starts running by looking at the EICAS actually.So I am for one satisfied with the silent start-up. I've always found on other add-ons exagerated the way the engine start-up sounds was done, way too loud.The very slight sound of the 747-400 SU1 is ultimatley realistic for me.As it was said previously, during start-up you hear mainly the air conditionning and flight attendant coming in the cockpit to report that the cabin is checked and ready-to-go!Regards,

Guest Andrea

Jon,I've created with a sound editor a couple of engine start sounds for internal and external views and would like to replace the exixting ones. The question is simple: what are the sound files I have to replace? After some attempts I realized that no changes happen if I temporarily replace the two xPMDG747_ENGSTART amd PMDG747_ENGSTART in the corresponding "sound" (GE, PW or RR) folder of the 747. Why?Andrea

Andrea,I`am afraid I can`t be of much help with the sound file info as I`am not on the development team and don`t know much about the programming side of flight sims.If you wanted to PM me the files I would certainly give them a listen,but you`d be better off talking to Marc or Rob from the development side.regardsJon

787 captain.  

Guest Andrea

Many thanks Jon,I can send you the sound files but I dont know how to manage attachments in PMs. Due to the dimension of the files I'll compress them using WinZip 10 at maximum available compression (which is not compatible with prevoius WinZip versions). Is it ok for you? If you send me your e-mail via PM I'll send them a.s.a.p.Andrea

I can't imagine why>any real airline pilot would still be a flight sim enthusiast.>My scepticism over airline pilot interest in FS9 is just as>valid as other's scepticism about my mates dad. >I`ve got a great looking girlfriend but it still doesn`t stop me from browsing adult websites from time to time ;-)Jon

787 captain.