Sign in to follow this  
Guest d809dp

In flight shutdown

that's the best speed for obtaining a windmilling restart. Luca

If you lose or deliberately shut down engines in flight, you'll get this message, basically it indicates the Altitude and speed envelope required to effect a windmill restart. Descend to that altitude and operate within that speed range, notice that the engine indications show rotation on the dead engine. If you haven't yet, pull the power level back to idle for that engine. Then switch the corresponding fuel switch to RUN. Bingo. Power!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest d809dp

Thanks for the replies, I did exactly what what you advise at the time but it didn't work. Should I be worried? What could the problem have been?Thanks again,Tom

Well the first thing is to look at the N2 value for that engine, was it over 18% or so? If not, remain at that speed and altitude until the engine spools up.The only other thing I can think of is a hole in my technique: I don't THINK you have to pull the ignition toggle on the overhead but I may be wrong.EDIT: I've just seen in your EICAS screen shot the 'fuel tank/engine' message. This COULD be the issue. You will want to configure your fuel pumps to provide the required fuel feed to the 4 engines when this message comes up, check the manual section on the fuel system for this. The absence of any low fuel warnings suggests you have fuel flowing to that engine but I can't be sure. Did you shut the engine down manually using the cutoff switch or did it shut down of it's own accord?

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

The engines spool up quite a bit slower when starting at altitude.If you are outside the magenta windmill start evelope that you currently see in you picture of the eicas you would get the alternative message X-BLEED indicating you would need to pull the start switch on the overhead panel aswell as putting the fuel control switch to runCheersJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.