Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

737NG Rudder Problem

I asked this a while back and no one responded. For some reason when I'm in the air with the NG (-600 to -900), I can't get any rudder authority unless I turn off the Yaw Damper. The rudder works fine on the ground for taxi, and I have no problems in any other aircraft with rudder input. My auto-coordination is most certainly off, and I have no other settings I can think of that would cause me to lose the ability to have some control in crosswinds. It makes dealing with x-winds on final a real problem.What could it be that it only works with the YD turned off when it should be left on?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

>>>>

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

>I asked this a while back and no one responded. For some>reason when I'm in the air with the NG (-600 to -900), I can't>get any rudder authority unless I turn off the Yaw Damper. >The rudder works fine on the ground for taxi, and I have no>problems in any other aircraft with rudder input. My>auto-coordination is most certainly off, and I have no other>settings I can think of that would cause me to lose the>ability to have some control in crosswinds. It makes dealing>with x-winds on final a real problem.>>What could it be that it only works with the YD turned off>when it should be left on?Silly question, but did you turn on your hydraulics and engine bleed air?- John

Oh yeah. This seems to be a new problem, as I don't remember it doing this a few months back when I was flying the NG more often.

- Chris

How about posting a screen shot of your overhead panel? Lately when I start up 737ng some electrical settings are wrong. I have not saved any flights etc. and still do not get the default when starting. Someone on here can probably tell from looking at a screen shot if there is a problem there.RegardsRick

<>I'm wondering what you're trying to do with rudder during approach, but can't help with the technical problem. During crosswind landing, the aircraft should be flown with a crab angle on final to maintain a track coincident with the final course. The difference between your heading and the runway heading will depend on the magnitude of the crosswind component. The crab angle is held until just before flare, where the rudder is used to line up with the runway center line and then to prevent from being blown downwind the downwind wing is raised and a bank held in a cross-control (rudder and bank are opposite of each other). In other words, you kick rudder to line up and turn into the wind. Use right rudder to move the nose to the right and use opposite bank if the wind is blowing left to right. If done right, the upwind main gear will touch down before the downwind gear with the aircraft over the center of the runway and lined up with the runway. This manuever shouldn't be done until just at flare because it is an uncoordinated manuever that increases sink rate, which is compensated for by the flare.I get many opportunites to execute this in Corpus Christi, our normal winds are about 20kts usually 30-deg to my preferred runway. However, I have found the manuever difficult to execute smoothly in a flight simulator because I'm missing the "seat of the pants" feel for slip/skid and sink. It's usually ends up being a touchdown in some kind of crab that's hard on real landing gear but FS doesn't care. Steering the rollout is the main challange.

Dan Downs KCRP