Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lufthansa321

Autoland

Guest Lufthansa321

How do I perform an autoland on the PMDG 738/9 aircraft. I've looked through the manuals and have not founbd anything. I've also done a search on the forums here and I've tried it, but it didn't work for me. Any help is appreciated.

A real basic answer is put the ILS frequency for the runway you want to perform the autoland into both NAV1 and NAV2, set the inbound course, engage APP on the MCP, intercept the localizer and glideslope at an appropriate distance from the runway and let the aircraft fly the approach. Page #8 of the manual titled "09 PMDG 737 Automation and TCAS" on the start menu has detailed information about the procedure.Jim Karnhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_pf.jpg

Works for precision (ILS) approaches only. Set up both nav radios with LOC freq and set course (the sim may require a slightly different setting from current charts, but it lets you know if there is a mismatch).Once established on initial approach leg (on final course but before glidesope intercept) press APPRCH button and both AP switches, it uses two channels for autoland. The key is to be established and stable below glideslope, the AP should capture the glideslope when you fly into it and maintain both localizer and glideslope during final approach. The annunciator will indicate the approach progress, you should see a white FLARE turn yellow when 50-ft above the runway.The aircraft should flare and on touchdown automatically cancel autothrottle (if used). I've never had consistent results with armed spoilers so I don't use that feature. After touchdown, I lower the nosewheel and when all three are on the ground and centerline steering is achieved, I hit the "/" to deploy spoilers, the "F1" to close throttles then "F2" for reverse thrust.If it's not working for you, please disclose a little more about what you are trying to do and the approach you are attempting.

Dan Downs KCRP

a couple of things that i have found handy as a beginner starting out on ILS in the 737NG1) Make sure you have your speed for landing set in the FMC. Do this before you start your descent. its in the INIT REF page, select the landing flaps you want and note the speed for the landing.2) tune your radios and enter the proper course heading for your runway3)At your arrival runway, on the ND screen you should see a dotted white line. if your runway is at sea level then try and aim for the edge of this dotted white line at 3000ft (its a good base height for an ILS i find). As you near the white line press VOR LOC. As your aircraft nears the whiteline you should intercept the localizer and the plane will automatically turn to the course heading you entered.4) check your PFD display. The magenta diamond running vertically is your glideslope, as it moves downward press the APP button and hit both autopilot buttons (A and B i think). You should be on the glideslope no problems. on final you should have a full autoland configured , a good sign is if you see FLARE in the upper right of your PFD. The plane lands itself then!

Guest Aubrey

>I've never had consistent>results with armed spoilers so I don't use that feature. After>touchdown, I lower the nosewheel and when all three are on the>ground and centerline steering is achieved, I hit the "/" to>deploy spoilers, the "F1" to close throttles then "F2" for>reverse thrust.>I have same experience with armed spoilers, but if spoilers are not armed, they deploy automatically after touchdown and main strut compression, once you press "F2" for reverse thrust.