Sign in to follow this  
Guest castleberg

ATIS-problem

Guest castleberg

HelloI tried to fly to Cape Town the first time. I then tried to receive the ATIS with the PMDG 747-400. Freq: 115.7 or 117.8. The VHF radio however only lets me choose freqs between 136 and 118.0 MHz. How the #### am I supposed to hear an ATIS I can not hear?Help - thanks a lotRegardsTom

Hi:115.7 and 117.8 are NAV freqs. (NAV freqs. from 108 to 118) They are not COM (voice) frequencies. There must be a mistake in your chart.Jose Luis

Not necessarily. In Australia it is common for the ATIS to be broadcast on the terminal navigation aids (VOR and NDB) as well as on a discrete VHF com frequency. So if it is a navaid frequency then you need to select the aids audio button to hear the ATIS.NB

Guest castleberg

Thanks a lot. Certainly no mistake on the original Jeppesen plates:-) But now it's gonna be complicated. Do I have to dial up ATIS via NAV RAD page on the FMC then?Thanks Tom

Tom you are correct there is no mistake on the Jepp charts. It is common practice to list both the the comm and nav frequencies for the ATIS in the one box. The user will know by the frequency where to tune it. Yes you have to enter the frequency in on the NAV RAD page as if tuning a VOR and then listen to it as you would when aurally identing a VOR station. If the ATIS Frequency is shared with a VOR then the ident coming thru can make the ATIS difficult to hear. If that is the case then select the V (for voice) position on the NAV filter selector (The 3 position switch on the audio selector panel at the bottom in the middle marked V B or R.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Guest castleberg

Cool, Steve. Thanks a lot. I'll try this out. The first time I hear that thing. I keep on learning. Cape Town has absolutely no ATIS above the 118.0 MHz-range. So I'll have to hear it on the NAV-receiver. RegardsTom