Sign in to follow this  
Guest jayson2830

Localizer doesn't line up with runway

Guest jayson2830

I have searched and searched on this subject but did not come up withany questions on this topic. I seems that at some airports the localizer does not line up with the runway. One in particular is ILS 22R at JFK. I tried two autolands there and the runway is at least 100 feet to the right of the Aircfaft which is perfectly ligned up on the localizer. I know a lot of you are going to tell me to disengage the autopilot and land manually but I find that the 747 just doesnt respond quickly enough at that altitude to get ligned up properly. By the time you are ligned up the Aircraft is too far down the runway to make a safe landing, so a GO AROUND must be initiated.

Rich: Your answers are on the charts.. the airport diagram shows a heading of 224 for the runway and the ILS22R chart shows LOC is 222. That 2-deg difference is what you are experiencing. Look closer at the approach chart, the LOC/DME antenna location is given on the small airport diagram in the lower left corner, it is to the right of the runway. Note that the minimums for the approach are 250, which is 50-ft higher than a standard ILS minima... it could be due to obstruction but I bet it is due to the alignment. Not all approaches are suitable for autolanding, my guess is that only CAT II or III are qualified based on ILS signal alone.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest jayson2830

Dan You are probably correct. I will try a Cat II approach and see how it works oot/

Guest tmanaon

There is a problem with the localizer on 22R at JFK. I just avoid that runway. I land only on 22L - which by the way is the landing runway at JFK in real life.Anthony

The default FS9 ILS22R is accurate. Most localizers have an antenna centered on the runway but this one is offset between 22L & 22R. An approach requires hands-on flying below DH (250 agl).

Dan Downs KCRP

Maybe the offset was applied to enable the path seperation restrictions of simultaneous parallel landings at the time?

Ron Ginsberg
KMSP Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Puddles
rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

Support Team