Sign in to follow this  
Guest Reddog

1/2 OT - Movies w/aviation

Guest jabberthecat

Starting looking a my used VHS collection and noted a strangepattern... spanning across a few genres I found hints of aviation in many of my tapes. Anyone have a simliar experience ( obesesion ) ? :-lol Any I should add to the list ?- MylesCastaway6 Days and 7 NightsBlowExecutive OrderTurbulanceTurbulance 2Ground ControlPushing TimAir Force 1AirportAirport 75Flight of the IntruderBat 21Top GunCon AirAliveDie Hard 2Top GunMemphis Belle

Dude, You missed "12 O'Clock High"! Utterly unforgivable! :-lol

hehe same as me. Although I love all the Die Hard movies I only taped Die Hard 2..I wonder why? :-lolTake careMike

Dont forget "Airplane" & "Airplane II" my personal favorite movies of all time! Oh, and "Iron Eagle"... I was just wondering the other night if there would ever be another movie as good as "Top Gun" made.-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" -(Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)

Guest Wayne Smith

Also, for you rotor heads out there, don't forget these movies:Birds of Prey (TV Movie with David Jansen in the 70's)Air AmericaBlue Thunder (ultra police helicopter)Firebirds (with Nicholas Cage - as an Apache pilot)Blackhawk DownWayneN457WS on VATSIM

Oh my god. Time for an old man to educate the young'uns.Top Ten Aviation Movies (most of which haven't even been mentioned here yet. Sigh)10. The Little Prince A children's movie (albeit a terrific one) this is more notable for who is was written by (a pioneer of flying), although it does contain some terrific opening and closing sequences about the joy of flight.9. Fate is the Hunter Bearing little or no relationship to the far superior book, this still offers a rare glimpse at the job of the people who try and figure out why a plane crashed. Until they make Michael Crighton's "Airframe" this is probably the definitive look.8. The Blue Max What can you say? WWI at its essence.7. The Magnificient Men in Their Flying Machines And the silly side of the early flying with wires, but offers some great stunts and wonderful wacky planes that actually were surpassed in wackiness by the Real Life models.6. Firefox Outdated special effects and 2 hours of boring front-end don't mitigate the wonderful last 30 minutes of jet speed chase.5. 12 O'Clock High Yep, WWII at its essence.4. The High and the Mighty Almost impossible to see nowadays due to the Wayne estate, this is a much better "Airport", with the Duke sitting at the wheel.3. The Right Stuff While the astronaut story will fascinate you, the heart of this movie is Chuck Yeager, and the story of the end of a breed. Right stuff indeed.2. The Spirit of Saint Louis While perhaps not as exciting as it could have been, this look at the early life of one of the greatest pilots of all times can not be missed.1. Flight of the Phoenix Any wonder that Stewart, a pilot himself, was in two of the greatest aviation films of all times? This is as good as it gets.

Oops, forgot to add:11. Hindenburg. Not the most exciting movie in the world (for the most part it moves with the same pace as the ship itself) it still offers extraordinary effects (which hold up even in this day and age, but are all the more impressive considering when they were done) and a thorough glimpse at an extraordinary craft. It is impeccably accurate (all except the sabotage implications -- modern theory has pretty well discounted this) and worth seeing by anyone who has even a passing interest in these unusual aircraft.

One last thing and I'll shutup.After reviewing the thread I realize the original poster wasn't so much as compiling a list of aviation movies as noting his own collection of various films had aviation in a lot of them. Sorry to let my enthusiasm for film let me get carried away.However, if you haven't seen *any* of the films I mentioned I strongly recommend them all. Just make sure you see them on a big screen.

I suggest you guys watch "Always". It's the movie that ignited my love for aviation and in addition, my love for the A-26 firebomber. Great, great movie.

Iron Eagle! I've been trying to come up with that name for a long time now. Some great flying in that if I recall. Silly premise but I think my son would like it.David

"Strategic Air Command"! Where else can you see B-36's and B-47's up-close and personal? :_

BobK

On the comedy side - HOT SHOTS with Charlie Sheen. I'm always in stitches when I see that film lol.My collection with ac action:Hot ShotsIndependance DayPushing TinUS MarshalsAirplane I & IIDie Hard 2CliffhangerAirforce OneCon AirCastawayDedicated programs:Air Europe 777 & 767 - world Air RoutesA320 Simulator - ITVVCathay Boeing 777-200 - ITVVCathay Boeing 747-400 - ITVVVirgin Boeing 747-400 - ITVVVirgin Boeing 747-200 - ITVVGo Boeing 737-300 - ITVVConcorde - ITVVBlack BoxBoeing 777 - Harry'sA340 - Harry'sJust 777's - Just PlanesHong Kong CLK - Just PlanesChicago O'Hare - Harry'sStill wanting more !! :-lolDoes anyone know where I can get hold of the complete series of 21st Century Jet, the program which documents how they designed, built and tested the 777?CheersAKEGKA

Alaister Kay

"Always" is my favorite aviation movie of all time! That and "Air America" are classics for bush flyers. Ken

Guest Reddog

And some of what I have on the self:633 Squadron (Mosquitos)12 O'Clock HighTest Pilot (Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy early B17's and P35's)Fighter Squadron (P47's)Combat America( Documentary with Clark Gable Bi7 group in England)Plosti( the B24 at war)B17 Flying Fortress(Documentary)Memphis Belle( the documentary not the movie)Flying Tigers (John Wayne!!)Flying Leathernecks( John again and the USMC)Hunters in the Sky( gun camera footage from all the theaters of WW2)The Spitfire Story( how it came into being)and a few more that I loaned out and forgot the titles of.http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/596406.jpgUSMC Retired