Sign in to follow this  
Guest AJ

744F lower lobe cargo temp

Guest AJ

Perhaps this has been covered before, but I am just trying t make sure that there is noting wrong on my end. On my 744F instalation, the temp controls for the lower lobe cargo holds have no effect. The temps work fine on the main deck and the upper deck, but looking at the ECS schematic, the lower holds seem permanently fixed at 26 degrees for the forward hold and 0 degrees for the aft hold (regardless of where the knobs are set). Does anyone else have this issue. Not a big deal, but I think some fish went bad down in the forward hold on my last VA flight, and I'm afraid we may never completely get the smell out :-)Andrew

The only control you have over cargo temp is the cargo heat to keep it above freezing. Good thing they ship fish on ice.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest AJ

I don't understand. On the overhead there are clearly marked temperature control knobs for all sections of the plane included upper deck, crew rest area, the Main deck (fore and aft), and the lower lobe holds (fore and aft). What I do not understand is whether the response failure in the lower lobes is a problem on my end, or a small bug on PMDG's end. As I said the temp setting work on all other decks.Andrew

I'm with Dan- my understanding is that only the aft cargo hold (744) is HEATED (hence the switch label). The remainder of the holds are not heated and therefore the aft hold is the only one used for livestock, etc. where sub-zero temps would be an issue.There are no cooling provisions for any of the holds that I'm aware of. Perhaps Q could further advise on the 744F? I'm ashamed to say I don't really fly the freighter a lot- 99% of the time its G-CIVX.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest AJ

>I'm with Dan- my understanding is that only the aft cargo>hold (744) is HEATED (hence the switch label). The remainder>of the holds are not heated and therefore the aft hold is the>only one used for livestock, etc. where sub-zero temps would>be an issue.>>There are no cooling provisions for any of the holds that I'm>aware of. Perhaps Q could further advise on the 744F? I'm>ashamed to say I don't really fly the freighter a lot- 99% of>the time its G-CIVX.>>Best->Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225>http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.pngOkay, I must have misunderstood something all this time. Please help me sort out the temp controls? There are five knobs in all. Accross the top, we have FD, followd by Main Deck (FWD adn AFT). I had always assumed that these refer to Flight Deck, and the Main cargo deck respectively. Then below that we have Lower Lobe (FWD and AFT). What is the Lower Lobe if not the lower cargo holds? Does Main Deck, then, refer to the small passenger area behind the flight deck then? Seems kind of strange to call that small area the Main Deck. It is labled the same way on the pax version as well. I just assumed that the Main Deck would be the big deck where most of the cargo, or most of the pax are located. Unfortunately, the manual does not go into detail regarding the temp zones and where they are. Please clarify.Thanks Andrew

Andrew-I'm out of my depth here. I understood (400 not 400F) that the only temp controls in the cargo areas were HEAT for the rear hold (where livestock and temp sensitive cargo is carried). I do not know of any standard COOLING system (air cycle machone etc.). My interpretion of "main deck" is exactly the same as yours- so I'd assume (and you know what they say about that...) the lobes reference galley and crew quarters below......someone with operational experience in this type (Q) could best advise.Sorry, that's all I know....will try and research further for you.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest joediamond

From the 747-400F differences document included with the freighter:"Individual control of all seven temperaturezones is only possible when the LLCCFR(not modeled on this aircraft due to thelocation of the control switches on the flightdeck) is set to allow manual control of LowerLobe temperatures.For the purpose of this 747-400F theLLCCFR system is modeled in it