Sign in to follow this  
Guest roystondh

The "format" of the Boxed MD-11

Guest roystondh

I noticed the other day that a couple of companies are already taking orders for the boxed version of the MD-11.As I like to have the printed manuals this is the route of purchase that I am going down.Out of interest one supplier is offering a Boxed FS9+FSX version, the other is offering a boxed FSX version, both being via Aerosoft.When the boxed version is released is it going to be a dual platform offering or specifically a FSX or FS9 one?Thanks in advance for clarification - and good luck with the projectRoy Hinds - UK

>I noticed the other day that a couple of companies are>already taking orders for the boxed version of the MD-11.>>As I like to have the printed manuals this is the route of>purchase that I am going down.>>Out of interest one supplier is offering a Boxed FS9+FSX>version, the other is offering a boxed FSX version, both being>via Aerosoft.>>When the boxed version is released is it going to be a dual>platform offering or specifically a FSX or FS9 one?>>Thanks in advance for clarification - and good luck with the>project>>Roy Hinds - UK>Be careful with these preorders and take their "release dates" with two pinchs of salt at least, Aerosoft hasn

Those order pages are fake - we do not have any specs for the boxed version. The manuals will almost certainly not be printed in the boxed version as they will be many hundreds of pages long. Aerosoft may make their own "Quick Start" guide for printing but there's no way they'll actually print the real manual.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest roystondh

>Be careful with these preorders and take their "release dates">with two pinchs of salt at least, Aerosoft hasn

Guest roystondh

I'd suggest then perhaps a quite word to the parties concerned suggesting they remove the order pages until such time as the details are a bit more concrete.If it's not even clear if the what FS is going to be offered in boxed format I don't think the product should be on offerAs for printed manuals has any thought ever been given to offering them even if they are a separately priced item - another supplier of high quality add-ons does and I find it easier to grab the manual if I need to undertake something new or just to double check procedures.

>Those order pages are fake - we do not have any specs for the>boxed version. The manuals will almost certainly not be>printed in the boxed version as they will be many hundreds of>pages long. Aerosoft may make their own "Quick Start" guide>for printing but there's no way they'll actually print the>real manual.Ryan, if it is a false ad, then why is PC Aviator advertising it http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=894 ? I really don't think they would do that without concrete information, would they??

>Ryan, if it is a false ad, then why is PC Aviator advertising>it http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=894 ? I>really don't think they would do that without concrete>information, would they??Yes they would... same for Aerosoft and many others. Why? You'd have to ask THEM to get an answer...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest roystondh

>Yes they would... same for Aerosoft and many others. Why?>You'd have to ask THEM to get an answer...>>Regards,>MarkusSo you really don't care that third parties may be making ill informed statements about the format of any potential boxed products, quite remarkable!So your not worried that this might harm your good reputation ?RgdsRoy

Gentlemen-We've gone around on this topic before- as occasionally some vendors decide that they want to jump ahead of others in the pursuit of your add-on spending.PMDG does not control what vendors such as PC Aviator or Aerosoft place on their websites. Aerosoft, our official publisher, has been given very little information as to what the final package will look like, and we have given them only a very general release expectation of "sometime in 2008."When the time comes to give them the product specifications, I'm sure they will update their pages at that time- but we are many months from providing them with that information.I haven't any idea where some of these other vendors come up with the information that they are presenting on their websites, but having briefly scanned the PC Aviator page mentioned above, I can assure you that a good portion of the information that they list has already changed, is likely to change, or simply hasn't been decided yet.We haven't even decided precisely what the download version will look like, so we certainly aren't close to deciding what the CDRom version will look like.(Heck- we are looking at a manual that will be someplace between 800 and 1200 pages when finished... I'd LOVE to see them print that and find a way to stuff it inside your CD case! hahahahhahaha)As I said the last time someone posted one of these questions: I would simply hang on to your money until we tell you that the CD version is close to being released.Until we decide the product is ready for CD release- anything you see will not be official information.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest roystondh

Many Thanks Robert for the definitive statement.In respect of a full printed manual I ask myself is it not worth PMDG considering publishing it as a separate purchasable item ?You are doubtless aware that printing such a manual would not be without precedent in terms of complex flight simulator products and I can think of one case where it has considerably enhanced my flight Simulation experience. Is it something that PMDG would consider looking at and then perhaps gauging demand if you can get a guideline price?With modern technology publishing runs of a few hundred units have become more affordable.ThanksRoy Hinds

I have a suggestion for those who want the printed manual. How about you download the manual and burn it onto a CD when it's made available and take the CD you've just burned to a professional printing shop (eg, Snap Printers in Australia) and have them print it into a nice little binder manual for you? You aren't going to get a 1200-page manual with a CD of the product from your local computer store, so this option seems the next best thing and it'll be printed professionally!Anyone think this is a good idea?

That's a great idea.I used it for all the Boeing manuals we need for testing. And that is definitely a couple of thousand pages. Got it double sided and bound for a reasonably cheap amount. Staples here in Canada has store print facilities and you can order and upload online and just pick up at the nearest store.Cheers,

Guest sunbear

Ditto....I did the same and it was relatively cheap and well done with a binder.Regards,jack

Guest roystondh

>I have a suggestion for those who want the printed manual.>How about you download the manual and burn it onto a CD when>it's made available and take the CD you've just burned to a>professional printing shop (eg, Snap Printers in Australia)>and have them print it into a nice little binder manual for>you? You aren't going to get a 1200-page manual with a CD of>the product from your local computer store, so this option>seems the next best thing and it'll be printed>professionally!>>Anyone think this is a good idea?Think this is a great Idea.I spent some time in the USA about 4 or 5 years ago and this kind of print on demand service seemed to by covered well in all the major CBD's however it's not as common place in the UK yet.I will check out what options exist - cheers Matt