Sign in to follow this  
mccoy007

ALT HOLD instead of VNAV ALT

Joe-What changes did you make in terms of your installation, or what did you do differently when this this started to operate normally?

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Yufeng-Post screenshots of what? Normal operation? I've asked repeated questions in this thread for information that are mostly ignored- OR there are only a few folks seeing the problem... Without feedback, it is exceptionally hard for us to trouble-shoot.As I've mentioned- we are trying to determine the source of a suspected data corruption, because we know that VNAV cannot revert to the modes described based on a normal logic process.So- we don't doubt that some of you are seeing this- but unless/until we find a way to duplicate it- we won't succeed in solving the problem.To duplicate the problem- we need to know more detail than you guys are giving. I've asked repeatedly in previous posts...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

>Joe->>What changes did you make in terms of your installation, or>what did you do differently when this this started to operate>normally?>>FAULT: Everytime I pushed the Vnav button it would go white in the PFD and disappear again, would not come on or start.When VNAV didnt work, I changed the data in the FMC by hand and set the speed and FL, after that it worked 100%, hasnt failed once since, and no matter what flight I fly it works, I think the level set in the FMC wasnt right when VNAV wouldnt stay on, there was conflict between the MCP and the level set in it i.e. 6000 for the SID I was carrying out and the FMC was reading 3000, so I manually entered 6000 into the FMC and it worked 100% Vnav has stayed on 100%, and I only done this the once, and since then its worked. Maybe worth checking the level in the MCP and the level set in FMC. Not sure this will help anyone but I did nothing else. Maybe go back to basics and check speed and height are correct. I have used this plane for months now and have read inside out all about it. I can also reload any old flights and they work. If the guys at PMDG have made things more accurate then maybe we as pilots need to double check our settings???? Dont mean to sound like an ####... but that was my problem. Not their fault...Its a user error, I honestly cant remember 100% what I did, but it wasnt a bug.... if it was I would still have the same problem now..Can I post any logs that may help others ???? Let me know if you guys @ PMDG need any of my files emailed, be happy to try and help, its a great sim....

In my previous post I forget to mention my configuration.Win XP SP2. No externel special hardware.FSX with Acceleration. And with Ultimate Terrain Europe and FS Global and London Heahtrow Mega Airport. No other addon.2 GB RAM, Core 2 Duo.Matyas Majzik

Hi RobertThe picture below is the problem. In this flight, my planed CRZ FL is FL350, but after take-off my initial CR FL is constrained to FL290. And this is what I got on my 744X after the SP. You can see the VNAV mode is partially disconnected, speed still controlled by FMC.Snap4.jpgSo what I would like to see is your or the beta testers' 744 in a similar situation's screenshots, because you said the beta testers don't have this issue. I don't mean anything offensive, but I saw some member's reply, I don't think all of them fully understand what I am talking about, someone just said the VNAV works fine. Yes, it will works very well if during the climb there is no constrained ALT setting on MCP, and if just follow the tutorial to perform a normal straight Climb to CRZ FL. Same as mine.But here I am talking about a specifically VNAV mode(setting). That is the when there is a constrained ALT setting on the MCP.Here is my detail about my 744X.I am running my Flight simulator X with SP2 under the Vista Home SP1 32BIT.I update my 744x from VERSION v2.00.0031 to VERSION v2.10.0040.The v2.00.0031 comes with my purchased your product on NOV last year.Hope I provide some useful information.

That's what I am talking about in my previous posts. Just read back.Matyas Majzik

The problem is always knowing exactly _what_ detail is required. There are so many variables in something like this that it's impossible for us (and possibly even for you) to know what's actually relevant to the problem.As I said before, I'm more than happy to send you config files and/or registry exports if you think they would help.Here's another possibly angle: we know that there are two symtoms here:1. VNAV mode switches off, replaced by ALT hold (should be VNAV ALT).2. Once in this state, it seems to be impossible to re-enable VNAV, at least until cruising altitude is reached.We've looked at 1. fairly extensively, but what about 2.? Is this completely anomalous behaviour, or are there legitimate situations where the plane would not allow you to engage VNAV mode? If the latter, could this provide a clue as to what state the plane has got itself in?Colin

Guest Oz_Animal

Robert I think you have missed reading one of my posts somehow as she is crystal clear to me the kids and the gold fish :)I will point it out clearer for you anyway.Firstly the original section of the post to recap what I did.-----------------------------------POST Wed Jun-04-08 08:08 AM"*IMPORTANT*After doing the test I described above the systems are working as per the book. Could it of forced a condition by doing this? Just a thought...Now by using different saved panel states and flights I managed to get her to fault up again. This stayed the same no matter how I loaded the flights or what I changed from this point on.I then removed ALL the saved conditions in the My Docs folder and the PanelState folder and she is back to normal "by the book"Could it be an issue with the saved panel states...not the saved flights as such but the "cold & dark states etc"?? Just a thought."-----------------------------------------To clarify the file locations and types etc...1...My Documents folder Flight Simulator X *.fssave , *.wx and *.flt files (Saved flight files) I removed all files except the *.cfg (Removed means put in a different location so they don't interact with the program and can be replaced at any time which I did for testing later)2...Program files Microsoft Games Microsoft Flight Simulator x PMDG 747400 PanelState *.sav files (panelstate files) Removed all as above.-----------------------------------------Next PostPOST Fri Jun-06-08 03:17 AMI put my old files back and it had the same fault.I then removed the files and she was fine.These files are the effecting cause in my case but what changed them to do this in the first place I have no idea??When the boys get back to this thread I will ask them if they would like me to send them the files that way we would know but until then she's a waiting game.Maybe while we wait you might want to try the same thing I did and see how she goes?--------------------------------------The files are the same ones talked about in Post Wed Jun 4th and explained in more detail in this post.You still have not advised if you would like the files to test on your system as that would hopefully generate the issue for you to see? Up to you as mine is fixed since I found the cause but I thought you might want to find out why yourself and more importantly what could be changing them or what are the users doing wrong?I'm actually just trying to help you but you appear reluctant for some reason?Steve

do you have a shot with the ATL from the FMC and the LEGS page with the ALT on too ???

Guest Oz_Animal

OK Guy'sI have just finished going through the whole process again of testing the VNAV and in "My Case" the problem is with the files I described earlier.Just for my own "peace of mind" has anyone with this VNAV problem tried removing ALL the Flight Save files and the Panel state files to see what happens?The location of these files are listed in a previous post of mine June 8 06:48.Just remove ALL the saved flights (leaving your *.cfg and logbook files) and remove ALL the panelstate files.Start a flight using the FSX panel for location type weather etc and then set up the fmc etc and see how she goes?The test flight I used with no files in the 2 folders (except the cfg and log file of-course) was YMML to YSSY starting on rwy 36, dosel 6 departure, fl350, fuel 120,000lbs. MCP set to 200 IAS and 5000 ALT, left everything else as default.VNAV worked as per the book, switched to VNAV ALT when expected...Reset ALT to 12,000, pressed FL CH then VNAV and up she went with VNAV SPD, all good...When I put the files back into the folders the problem came back.Someone give it a try as these files could be corrupted somehow as they are in my case. Now I just have to find out who the culprit is..me or them...lolPMDG have still not asked for my files to try so I can't give you any information on that front yet.Please report back your findings if you try this.RegardsSteve

Guest Oz_Animal

ROFL RyanYour not wrong there mate...Must say though after all the changes everything is fine with my set-up at last/ Pity we can't tell others what computers not to buy :)There is a very good chance that this VNAV issue is user generated but how it is happening is the big question.Hopefully if someone try's what I did then we might get a better idea? ... maybe...kinda...prolly not...lolGave me a good laugh, tks RyanSteve

SteveThanks so much for your details about the experiments on your computer.I will take a look at my Queen of sky to see if the problem can be solved.It seemed that the problem caused by the panel state files. I use the panel state files that come with the original install program, which is Cold and dark for both 744 and 74F.Will give you the result later.RegardsYufeng

Guest Oz_Animal

YufengNP, looking foward to your results.PS, before I get lots of Q's re "FL CH"...yes the Alt button works as well and is the usual method of instructing her to go back to VNAV...:)Steve

Wellit is hard to believe.I think I got the key. Take a look at this. NormalSnap7-1.jpgIt is caused by the panel state file. If just use the panel state which is loaded with FSX(Fresh load). There will be no problem on the issue I said.This is what I used to do. I didn't use any "saved flight" from FS itself. I only use "Free flight" from FSX, then load PMDG744X, and choose an airport. So after loading, the plane will already in engine start state. But every time my flight start with "cold and dark", so I load the state panel that come with the install program. Then the problem will occurred.My suggestion is that there should be a update on the panel state files, especially the "Cold and Dark" panel states.Thanks for Steve, Robert's help on solving this issue.RegardsYufeng