Sign in to follow this  
Guest ciropv

How to set FULL thrust with an Engine Failure (737)

Guest ciropv

Hi everyoneThis is a difficult question about the PMDG 737 (all patches installed).As far as I know, in real life, if you have an engine failure after v1, you should need full thrust with the working engine, either by "pushing" the throttles all the way forward to get full thrust with the working engine or the system automatically commands it (I dont't know as i am not a real pilot and i have seen it only on DVD)... how to make it with PMDG?Imagine you are about to take off with a 737-700. Fuel=9.000Kg, GW=60.300Kg, OAT=15C, Assumed=50C --> D-TO=89%, Flaps 5, Rwy=3.200m, Sea Level.... (with this config, you get airborne in the first 2.500m - 2.700m)Passing V1, you have an engine failure. You NEED full thrust with the working engine (at least max rated thrust for that OAT -with only one engine at 89%... I always finish in the water-). How?I have tried: -hitting again TOGA (this works with the PMDG 747, by the way)-Disarming Autothrust and pushing the throttle up to the limit (this is how it works with the Wilco 737-300)-Disarming Autothrust and pushing F4....nothing seems to give me more than the D-TO powerAny ideas?Thanks

Guest ciropv

Any help? Any idea?Thanks,Ciro

Hi,My response would be AT off, full power on the remaining engine.I didn't think Boeings automatically compensated for engine outs?Best regards,Robin.

You need to go to the FMC and choose max continuous thrust wich should be listed as CON under the N1 Limit page. You also have other options as from going from a D-TO to a full TO thrust.Just go to N1 limit page and you will have the options to choose from.Keep Autothrust off and go to manual thrust control.Best wishes,Leonardo Calzoni

In the real plane the autothrottles will automatically disconnect when you have an engie failure. The throttles stay at the takeoff thrust setting. We fly up to the engine out acceleration height at V2 to V2 +15kts and set the speed to the UP bug. We clean up the flaps on speed and when the UP bug is reached we go Level Change, manually set max continuous thrust and start the checklist. The power setting we use for takeoff has been calculated to be adequate in an engine failure based on our takeoff and runway data. That is how it works in the real world but as is often the case FS may not work exactly the same.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Guest ciropv

Thanks everybody!Robin, Leonardo, I have already tried AT off and throttles up, but they remain at R-TO (in fact it is the max N1% allowed in that config). Anyway, I'll try the N1 page... (not too realistic to play with the FMC while you are trying not to put a tree inside your wheel well...I think Tom has pointed the real fact (FS is not as the real thing). By the way, thanks a lot Tom for your explanation; it is always nice to hear from a pilot how the real thing goes. I didn't knew "The power setting we use for takeoff has been calculated to be adequate in an engine failure". I thought that in case of an engine failure you push the throttles up to the limit as in a windshear scenario. I can tell you that with FS9/PMDG737 that power is not enough to climb with a single engine.Thanks a lotSeeUCiro

At 60,3 Tons, I wouldn't derate to 89%. That makes you end up in the water.If you have adequate power, you will succesfully t/o on 1 engine.Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

Guest ciropv

Hi BertThe 89% is the result of applying the assumed temp for that OAT, weight and rwy lenght as figures in the charts provided by PMDG...Anyway, now that I know that I cannot modify the thrust (e.g. pushing them all the way forward) and that that thrust must be enough in a single engine scenario, i think i would use a much conservative assumed temp ;) Thanks for your comment.SeeUCiro

In Real Life the sequence goes as:No Actions till 400 feet except on Positive Rate, Gear Up and Cancel the Warning / Reset the Master CautionAt 400 feet, HDG SEL, Identify the Problem and if any Recall Actions are needed, If time permits declare emergency with ATCAt 1000 feet or Single Engine Acceleration Altitude, Flaps Up on schedule, LVL CHG, MCT (This is where you go on N1 LIMIT Page on FMC to set CON Thrust), Climbing to MSA (Set MSA on your MCP), NNC (Do your Non Normal Checklist), After Take off Procedures followed by Checklist, Then again Tell ATC and Passengers your Intentions.Your Reduced Thrust N1 will cater for 2nd segment climb requirements which should safely clear all obstacles.if you decide to fly on Manual Thrust / No Auto Throttle, you still need to set CON on N1 LIMIT page, and then manually set the throttle to the green bugsHope this helps, CheersBhaskar Krishna

With the A/T disarmed, it should let you go pass the Green Band indicated on the Upper Eicas N1. You may have to pull the thrust lever Aft a little and then back to full thrust.On the overhead panel go to the Engine mode selectors. Working Engine set the Thrust to CON. The other set to OFF.

Hi,Great explanation of how it is on the real thing! Thanks!Best regards,Robin.

Guest ciropv

>With the A/T disarmed, it should let you go pass the Green>Band indicated on the Upper Eicas N1. You may have to pull the>thrust lever Aft a little and then back to full thrust.>I have tried exactly that, but as soon as it reaches full thrust, then it spools down again to the green band limit.Thanks,Ciro