Sign in to follow this  
pilotguy365

Landing Roll Out

First of all,I want to give thanks to PMDG for a great MD11. On to the potential problem for me though. It's been a long time since I last posted in PMDG's forums as I have never had a problem with any of the products and when I have, I've lurked around for other people having same issues. This time though, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not crazy. Whenever I land the MD11, for instance today at DFW's 18R (which has 11,000 or more feet of runway [should be plenty]) I landed well within the TDZ at or right below my 147 VREF+5 target. Everything deploys correctly. I check that the spoilers are fully deployed the ABS are Medium with the High Deceleration box checked and when reverse thrust is available I hold F2 (although it appears to never get any higher than some odd 50% N1). If I don't disconnect ABs until 60kts I'll tend to be right at the threshold on the other side or like at JFK through the fence. I don't think its my throttle as I have set a deadzone well within any kind of error it has so that it might not stop reverse thrust from deploying. Are most people using manual braking? If I use manual braking I can make it no problem with brakes sitting at 40-50C. The 747X I've never had any landing problems with. No overrunning at all. Any help would be appreciated (as I have a feeling it's Pilot Error in this Case)Thanks,Tony N.

I don't have an answer or an explanation, but I can relate similar experiences while landing on 13L at JFK. Although, I have to report that my experience with 13L getting "short" in a hurry has also been noticed in the 744X.Just for reference, I'm using that new JFK scenery.-Ken

Well maybe I am just crazy haha that's probably what it is for me maybe I feel like I'm running out of runway. Just for reference though it is autobrakes disconnected at 60kts correct? And the standard for autobrakes being medium on low decel and low on high?Thanks,Tony N.

Guest JIMJAM

Its not just you.I will be the first to admit that I have only glanced at the manuals.First few flights I was eating up every inch of a 8000 ft runway.I also did not think the speed brake was working but replays at least show it deploying.Since I have more time under my belt,I have lowered my touchdown speed and my spot landing ability is better.Still, the md11 loves to eat up the runway and if you are fast and a little long,you sure cannot count on the speedbrakes or wheel brakes to stop you.I also run activesky and have had it produce some strange acceleration as if the plane was on ice.With only 1/3 fuel,lightly loaded and close to the numbers however,I should not have to be standing on the brakes and eating up a 10000 ft runway.:-eek Maybe this plane needs a chute!

good lord! I couldn't have put it better. I'm glad someone sees this. I am by no means saying anything is wrong. I am simply imploring whether or not this is correct? I'll have to ask my uncle who's been flying UPS MD-11's for a long time where he ends up exiting the runway or when he disconnects the autobrakes. I've had the 747 come in close to 140 something knots and it manages to slow down to 60-80kts in about 1/3 of the runway letting me exit about 5-7 feet down the runway. The MD however like I said in my original post often makes me disconnect and stand on the brakes to ensure I don't plow through the fence :)

Thanks for the reply Andre,You seem to have good luck with your landings :) where do you manage to usually get off the runway and with what autobrake setting (if any)?Thanks,Tony N.

In FS, KDFW has an error in the 18R approach; the glideslope is misplaced due to the runway being lengthened a few years ago.I am fixing that in a KDFW scenery I am making right now. Then the MD-11's autolands should do better there.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

You're totally correct about that. However, I did a visual approach today into DFW I only intercepted the Localizer and then disconnected both autopilot and ATS. I know I landed within tdz at a decent if not slower speed and I still only managed off just short of the 36L threshold and one time within the threshold. Where are you managing to exit? BTW let me know when you finish that scenery until FSDreamTeam finishes KDFW.Thanks,Tony N.

>Thanks for the reply Andre,>>You seem to have good luck with your landings :) where do you>manage to usually get off the runway and with what autobrake>setting (if any)?>>Thanks,>>Tony N.Will have a look had yesterday a flight EGLL / LEMD and runway 18RWas a flight with FS2Crew and CATIIIB landing with autobrake at min set... and with RC4 + ASX...We had exit Z10 but could have take a much earlier one but that one don't exist lol :-)Have done several manual and auto always have much runway space left ahead...The exit depends on ATC traffic behind and sometimes a late exit at 18R EHAM to shorten the taxi time but always enough runway left lolCheers,http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

>>Will have a look had yesterday a flight EGLL / LEMD and runway>18R>Was a flight with FS2Crew and CATIIIB landing with autobrake>at min set... and with RC4 + ASX...>>We had exit Z10 but could have take a much earlier one but>that one don't exist lol :-)So would you say then that you needed about 6-7k feet (sorry for the feet i know Europeans typically use Meters) of runway from touchdown to exit (around 20 kts)?Thanks,Tony N.

>>>So would you say then that you needed about 6-7k feet >>This is still way too much for a typical MD-11's landing>weight. You should be able to bring her to a complete stop in>not more than 4000-5000 ft. >Touche then I am obviously doing something incorrectly. I have no idea what it is. I just completed a flight from KSDF-KPHL and at PHL landed 9R at flaps 50 @ 148 VREF+5 and upon touchdown within the TDZ immediately began holding F2 with autobrakes Medium *High Decel checked* and what I thought was spoilers deployed as the PMDG native co pilot said so (but on replay they don't deploy?) I know they were armed though and i was able to turn off at U about 3/4 of the available 10,500 and that was only because i used manual braking to make it there i was about 80knots 1 thousand feet short of it so i knew i needed to use some stronger braking. I have no idea if this is good or what.Thanks,Tony N.

Sorry for the many posts, but I am now aware that my autobrakes are not working. I have just done three consecutive landings one with only reverse and spoilers. One with RT, spoilers and Auto brakes minimum and one with all of the above but manual braking. My auto brakes are definitely not working. Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to why they might not be working?Thanks,Tony N.

Have you guys tried working through the EGLL LSZH tutorial? My first few landings were hairy probably because I was trying to do them as if I was flying a 747. There is also a gotcha about manually closing the throttle before touchdown that has caught me a couple of times. Paul Smith.