Sign in to follow this  
Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

I feel sad...

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Greetings Boeing lovers :-)What's going on with the Flying Computers anyway ?!Everybody wants to make Airbuses! PSS gave us a very good one, now Wilco is making another one and the long forgotten Apollo is making another one disquised with the name of FlyByWire!I mean, come on, how many Airbuses are we going to expect?! And all A320s! I wouldn't say 'no' to a good A340, but more A320s?!It seems that some legentary aircraft are being forgotten by both freeware and commercial authors.We have good 734, A320, 763, 744, 777 in the commercial side and some good 727s, 732s, A320s in the freeware side.And there are going to be Concorde and Dash7.But what about the 757 (which happens to be my favorite a/c) ?What about L1011? MD8x series ? The last descent MD80 flown was back in FS98 with Eric's panel and a freeware model which I don't recall the author's name.757 ? The same! Last good was for FS2000 of Euroflight that had excellent flight model and merged with PIC quite nicely! Every 757 I have tried for FS2002 are below average on my personal scale. They do look nice, that's a fact, but none flies as it should.Bottomline... FS lacks of some GOOD 757s, Tristars, MDs and more.I just hope someone listens. Especially for the 757.Fly safe.George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

Hi George,Maybe this Airbus mania is only the reflect of the real market ;-)For the fist time, Airbus sold more aircrafts than Boeing this yearDid you know that ?Regards,Laurent Crenier_____________________________767PIC Panel co-designer

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Yes, I am aware of that (hurey, hurey.. yeah...right!)But, there is only 1 Airbus company (a consortium actually), and 1 Boeing company. There are not 4 or 5 manufacturers that construct Airbuses or Boeings!I can understand the real market trend since the 'Bus' is more economical to operate (more expensive to lease/purchase though), but such talk gets way off topic as there are lot of factors to consider.However, the 757 is still my favorite aircraft, and unfortunately it's still one of the many that are overlooked by the developers (freeware and commercial) for the FS2002. Have you seen the 757 for FlyII ? From the screenshots I have seen and comments I get from the beta testers it's outstanding! But I don't want to change sim for just one a/c and crappy scenery (sorry guys, that's the truth!).George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

How do you measure number of aircraft sold? Deliveries? Orders? Options? :)I believe you're correct in stating that Airbus delivered more aircraft than Boeing last year. Not sure about orders myself. I do know that Boeing counters that argument by saying that Airbus is at their maximum production capacity, while Boeing has capacity to spare and will be able to turn out many more airplanes once the economy turns around.Depends on your viewpoint, I guess.Jon (KSEA)

Airbus' are not more economical than Boeing, that's an AirBus sales gimmick. The only difference in their economy is that AirBusses are intended to be flown at lower speeds and climb rates and thus your savings. That and the AirBuses' wing make for longer than Boeing takeoff rolls. Sure, AirBus may be selling more units this year for the first time, but that isn't nescessairily representative of the market or it's future. Notice All Nippon Airways in Japan and the order they placed at Farnborough - 777's and 767's to replace all of their AirBusses. And even when KLM said announced they were going to buy 24 AirBusses, they did also mention that they would still want two 777's.Both are great companies, and I think the prescense of each makes the other that much better! :D

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

I won't argue with any of you...That was NOT the subject of my post. I just said that I feel sad that there will be so many Airbus simulators around and NONE for the 757.I was expecting comments on this subject or FS addons in general, or maybe a point to a direction to find a nice 757, not an argument who is selling more aircraft. Frankly, I don't care who does! I would if I was working for any of those companies, but I don't so... :-)George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

Guest Lenny Zaman

we only got 1 relatively decent airbus at this time, so when we get the Wilco bus, we'll finally have a QUALITY airbus(sorry but PSS is not good enough for me..) and and the FBW by Appolo will be handy for home-cockpit designers.So what's the deal?i mean it's all okay nowDF is doing thye 340, and probably the 330 aswellWilco the 320 and for the smmaller ones, get PSS' stuff.We have a decent 767, a relatively decent 777 and an AWESOME 744(PS1.3) we also have a grrreat but performance-nitty B737so i think boeing is well presented here.i think we now need tog o for the lesser known a/c builders, like Gates Learjet, or Dassualt with their falcon.I really am looking for a good Embraer aswelll.........;my 0,02

I agree. If Airbuses were more economical to operate then all the most successfull "budget" operators like Southwest, Ryanair or EasyJet would be ordering Airbuses. And in fact they all have 100% Boeing fleets. Boeing is still #1 choice with such airlines.Michael J.

Good points. When it comes to counting the best - there are very few Boeings or Airbuses. But when it comes to regional aircraft (jet or turboprops) - we have practically none.Michael J.

Rdrebers....Your post has some valid points however Airbus does have Boeing beat in one area in terms of economical use. Let's compare two of the hottest short range jets from each company, the 737 and A320. The advantage the A320 has is below in the cargo hold. The A320 holds more cargo than the 737 could ever hope too due to the way the aircraft are designed. More cargo equals more revenue. Michael J. What about Jetblue? They are 100% A320's. By the way, they and Southwest are sttarting to go head to head in many more markets. Big articale in my local newpaper last Sunday talking about this.

Eric 

>Michael J. What about Jetblue? They are 100% A320's. By the >way, they and Southwest are sttarting to go head to head in >many more markets. Big articale in my local newpaper last >Sunday talking about this. Yes. But If you compare all outstanding orders for A320 and 737 from all low-cost carriers from around the world 737 beats A320 4:1 (source: Aviation Week). 737 is still clear favorite in this market for economy and reliability. Clearly JetBlue belongs to this 20%. More cargo room brings more revenue only *IF* you can fill it up with revenue generating cargo - carrying empty cargo space is expensive. For low-cost carriers 737 may just have enough cargo space.Neither aircraft "beats" the other - it is silly to make statements like this. They were designed differently with different trade-offs and different criteria in mind. Nothing comes for free - cargo, fuel, overhead bins or yet some other space.Michael J.

heh, this time a year ago people were complaining about the developers making all Boeings and no Airbuses.....funny how things can turn :)and about the 757, you haven't checked IFDG's? *COUGHAvsimlibraryCOUGH*

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Indeed! I was one of those complaining back then that no Airbuses were available!!! But those were the times of FS98 and FS2000, and eventually Airbuses did come out for FS2000.I have downloaded a couple of the IFDGs 757s and tried them. They look very nice indeed, but seem to be underpowered, while the real 757 is actually overpowered (especially with the RR Engines).I also tried Mike's proposal for merging the 757 with the PIC panel (I don't like flying the 75 with the 77 panel!), but again the performance was very poor. With a GW of 90T (MTOW for the 757 is about 105-115T), the a/c could not climb to FL370 and the speed would not increase past m.78. I had to stop the climb to FL310 and it reached that with just 500ft/min climb at 95% N1 while trying to keep the speed above m.72I know that the PIC panel is designed around the 763, but appart from the FMC values and performance information, the rest of the cockpit is the same.In FS2000, the Flight model of Escape Airways Virtual was very good and worked excellent with the PIC panel. Unfortunately, as far as I know, it has not been updated for the new FS2002 models. If I recall correctly the air file of Escape was based on the FFG model.George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

Guest Matthias1975

I think that there is no Airbusmania or something described here. I would rather say there

It's not fair to include Southwest in this. They started out about 35 years ago with three 737-200s, and one of the principles of their business plan then, as now, was to only have one type of aircraft to reduce maintenance costs etc. I doubt that Airbus even calls on them because the Boeing decision was made when the first 300 series Airbus was still on the drawing boards.