Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Controller question:

Well! my second VatSim flight ended in disaster. In order to make everything as smooth as possible with minimum complexity, I switched from the DF737 to a Boeing Factory 717 with my favorite freeware panel, and extra good frame rates. Unfortunately the autoland feature of the DF737 had spoiled me, and I forgot to disengage the AP on the 717 before touchdown, and wiped out all the approach lights at the end of RW26R in Atlanta. My apologies to Stephanie, the patient Atlanta Ctr. controller who was entertained by all of this I am sure. Tucked my tail between my legs and closed out my flight plan after ending up somewhere in downtown Atlanta.Now that I have entertained you with my inability to handle a plane on the ground, (and probably bored you), my question:My flight was from KIAD (Washington, Dulles) to KATL (Atlanta, The Hartford). When I departed KIAD, the only available control in my ATC Directory window was Unicom, and to my surprise, Clevend's Center. My flight was originating in the Washington Region, not Cleveland's. Should I request departure clearance from Cleveland which really is not the controller for my DC region, or should I go the Unicom route to begin my flight?Thank You:RTH

It's basically a "bottom up" rule for deciding who to contact. You contact the lowest controller possible to get your clearance. In other words, start with Delivery, if none try Ground, if none go to Tower, etc. Remember, you're working your way UP, not OUT. A neighboring CTR probably won't want to issue a clearance unless you're going to end up in his/her airspace anyway. In your case, since IAD isn't in Cleveland's CTR's airspace, they shouldn't be issuing a clearance. Unicom would have been appropriate for your flight. I realize it's difficult identifying center boundaries during a flight, but if you are about to fly into an active CTR's area you should try and contact them at least 10 miles before entering their airspace.Mike BromleySenior ControllerBoston ARTCC

A couple of points as I understand things:1) the vatsim software sometimes will show available atc that is nowhere near where you are. That does not mean that you should contact the controller in Cleveland to help you in the Pacific NW. He will merely tell you it is out of his area.2) If you get and use FSNavigator 4.5, the map view (f9) shows ATC boundaries...very handy knowing when to switch from a non controlled to controlled region. Otherwise, controllers who are adjacent and share a will hand you off, just as in real flight...sherm