Sign in to follow this  
FS4

Idea to speed up flight sim

Is there a way to run Flight Sim 2004 on multiple computers and a single monitor? For example, have 1 computer process the panel views and the other only for the outside views to speed it up? This would help a lot until the P4 5 Gz machines come out!!! Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

not at allbest thing you can do is use 5 computers and 5 monitors ...the thing you have in mind is multi-processor system. you can find motherboards with 2 CPU's on them. however this would not help for FS at all cuz FS is not programmed to take advantage of this. rendering programs like some CAD's etc do that, but not FS.

This is true, to an extent. What CAN be done, is setting what's called an Affinity Mask on multiple CPU systems. This is where you can tell the O/S to run on CPU #0, while MSFS runs on CPU #1.I haven't tried this myself, but I heard it's a significant boost in performance.

I wonder how well this will do for all the PM gauges and stuff. That would be great to run all your gauges off one PC. Get like a 2.8GHz system and this card.. I wonder how well it will work. Anyone have any comments?

Hm, I just read on the ProjectMagenta site that Matrox cards aren't very good for their software. Probably because Matrox doesn't do OGL very well.. :-(

That card has OPEN GL acceleration.Roberto

Hi, i've got one G200mms and I use it ti display the PFD/ND and EICAS using 2 monitors for now and it works great!I'm not using Progect magenta but FeelThere CRJ gauges or the Reality XP Jetline 4 and I can tell you that even on a XP2600 the gauges run great!Best regards,PedroHere's my lates pics from my sim :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/74771.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/74772.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/74774.jpg

Well hell... Then that just might be a good choice for those of us that don't want to use 2-6 P3-500 computers to run the "other" displays. One decent system with that card could do it all. I'll look up some prices for that card and post back. kk thx. :-)

Looks like you can get these cards on Ebay for around $108-$150ish. Sounds like a great way to go. :-)-Allistah

Yupe price is not that bad it will beat having to buy 2 or 3 computers.Roberto

I bought mine on ebay for 100 bucks.I'll try to test it with the PM demos and see it goes ok.I'm using this G200 with a Parhelia for the front view, and the result is great.You just have to see a ILS approach at night breaking through the clouds and see the runway in sight... ;)Best regards,Pedro

Pedro what a real beauty of a cockpit you have man!! Very simple yet very well made and you only using one computer!! Amazing please keep us updated!Roberto

Gracias!!!Just finished the FCP, that the Autopilot in CRJLand :) , only need to wire it up to FSBUS to get it running. This hobby is real nice.Your 767 is coming along pretty good also :) .Best regards,Pedro

Gracias Pedro! Trying my best to get the Sim as realistic as possible waiting for PIC 767 V2 and will try to use a similar approach as yours!! Keep the good work up man, ask Robert Prathe at www.simspares.com he has some CRJ panels there maybe he can cut you a good deal!! Tell him I sent you... Keep us updated man, my email in case you need something viro_online@hotmail.comTake care.Roberto

Hi PedroThanks for the pictures....looks great! Can you advise what frame rates you are achieving with this set up?.....assume you are using FS2004?CheersIan

OK, here's some numbers:Windows 2000Asus A7V600-XAMD XP2600 (1917Mhz)512Mb RAM 400MHzMatrox ParheliaMatrox G200MMSKLAX 07L Default Cessna 182Virtual CockpitNo WeatherNo AIFull Sliders 26FPSMAX Buidings and Autogen 17FPSIn the air FPS is above 25 most of the time.When the second videocard has some panels the Fps drop is about 3 to 5.Best regards,Pedro

With Feel There CRJ what is the frame rate?? Have you tried the CRJ gauges and not the REALITY XP??Thanks.Roberto

Yes I've tried , in fact is what I'm using.I used the Cessca because everyone has it .I'll post the results with the FeelThere CRJ with and without the gauges undocked to the G2900mms.Best regards, Pedro

Hi,Here's the results:Same settings as aboveNO BuildingsNo AutogenNo panels un dockedFPS: 22Panels Undocked (PFD, ND, Eicas1, Eicas2) - 2 monitors FPS: 14MAX Buildings and AutogenNo panelsFPS: 14With panels undockedFPS: 10Best regards,Pedro

A simple idea, you need 2 PCs.On one, you install no scenery addons, use lowest possible graphic settings and launch FS.The most powerful of the two, you launch FS with wideview, and use this one for main visual, with settings to full detail.This should give some boost.

If you are running FS on a Pentium 4 with HTT (Hyper Threading Technology), you can dedicate one 'thread' of the CPU to FS and run the rest of the processes on the other 'thread'. HTT essentially simulates multiple (2) CPUs in one Physical CPU.HTT allows allocation of specific processes to a defined 'CPU' and so you can have the CPU focused on FS with 50% or greater of its power and let the rest of the processes (Operating system, etc) share the remainder.I believe the allocation commands are available under XP and Win 2000.The effects are supposed to be rather amazing.

You using only one computer right?? Have you tried WideFs ??Roberto

OOps sorry yeah someone suggested it already below sorry :) Roberto