Sign in to follow this  

how do YOU taxi into the gate?

How do YOU taxi into the gate in addon sceneries, such as UK2000? Do you have a second monitor that has the side view on? I'd really like to know how you do it, as sometimes I'm right on the line, sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right. I use the 767PIC and PSSA320 panels with a zoom of 0.7 on each.Any tips for a perfect taxi into the gate??Thanks!don't forget to say how you taxi into the gate!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Simply press "S" to get the virtual cockpit view and follow the yellow lines. Most addon scenery also have lights to indicate when you should stop.

A319:Given the overly-dark and somewhat constricted visual perspective of FS2002, I have no problems justifying going into spot plane view, say, 1000 feet or so, and positioning myself behind and above the airplane in such a way that I can see the taxiways ahead of me. Of course the wonderful taxiway signs released by Taxiwaysigns.com has made staying in the cockpit a little less confusing since you can now see the bright yellow signs easily (see the photo). You need to have good, up-to-date airport charts or else the signs are meaningless. Alex CN562ZMinneapolis, MN

There is a little utility called Air Chart viewer that may help.It opens a little window and displays the ground layout of any selectable airport with the position of your plane shown.File name airchv25.zipPersonally I switch between cockpit and spot view when I am lost :-)

I have no trouble taxiing to the gate. It's just the final 90degree turn that I can't seem to perfect. Sometimes I'm right on the line, sometimes way to the left, othertimes way to the right. THat's what I was wondering: Do you guys always make a perfect 90degree turn to the gate? Just curious, how do real world pilots do it? Whenever I've gone spotting they seem to turn perfectly onto the line

> Just curious, how do real world pilots do it?With crazy amounts of experience. :) Just as you and I know how to turn nicely into a parking space in our cars, those pilots know how to turn nicely into THEIR parking spaces as well. As for me? Heh - let's not go there. -Greg

Try using differential braking; F11 for left, F12 for right.

>I have no trouble taxiing to the gate. It's just the final >90degree turn that I can't seem to perfect. Sometimes I'm >right on the line, sometimes way to the left, othertimes way >to the right. > THat's what I was wondering: Do you guys always make a >perfect 90degree turn to the gate? > Just curious, how do real world pilots do it? Whenever >I've gone spotting they seem to turn perfectly onto the line As Greg says.......with plenty of practice ;) Also remember they have far better vision and perspective than we have in FS although a VC will help.I have problems turning also, mainly because of the front overhang, how far back IS that nose wheel?I asked a rw 'Bus pilot in the PSS forum and was told 'you develope an instinct for a spot on the side window, when that 'spot' is in line with the stand lead-in line you turn'I guess that with practice you can develope this 'spot'.Go into spot view and do sone turn-ins until you get it right, then when you have it right note where the lead-in line is in relation to the aircraft body.Do another turn-in but stop the plane when the lead-in line reaches the spot on the plane's body.Jump into the cockpit with the view set to that you normally use for taxi and try to find where that lead-in line is, either from a front view or side window.Start a flight video recording and make your turn, then review the flight video to see how well you did and keep refining the turn-in point until it is perfect.Or do what a lot of us do, use spot view :-lol HTH

You've gotten a wealth of information here but to me the easiest way to taxi is to use the top-down view by pressing CTRL+S.This is a little known command but it gives the best view of the airport; also you can zoom in or out by pressing the "-" and "=" keys.If you can't see the taxi lights after using this command and zooming in then something is wrong. :-)

Since I can't find the "autotaxi" key ;-) I just leave it for the valet! :D