Sign in to follow this  

still no success with glidescope capture

hi can you tell me when landing the GS captured properly?i am having problems with my planes, add ons and stock MSFS planes capturing the GSthe needle comes down, the ALT button goes off, the engines rev up, the speed increases, and the plane takes a dip,never to recover and i end up landing on the grass at the MM or in the sea short of the runway...

Volumes have been written on the subject. Just search this forum. Michael J.

i search for "glidesope"but no infoexpect for the last request a few days ago

.. how about "GS", "capture" ...and search in archives too. I hope you can figure out how to use search options.Michael J.

One thing that usually works for me is to be set up, gear down, trimmed and on speed for FINAL approach prior to glideslope capture.Capture the glideslope from below in level flight. Dont wait til in close, as it usually cant hack it. Most of the time it works great for me. The only problem now is watching out for those killer ILS's out there:)Hornit

Hi,I have a 99% succes ratio on capturing the glideslope and making succesful ILS landings on everything from default Cessnas to the most complex Category 3 Autoland Heavy jets. 3 very brief rules of thumb:1) Make sure you are centered on the localizer as far out as possible. 10 miles or more is great. This usually means making your descents at a HIGH vertical speed (2000 feet per minute or more) combined with a LOW forward velocity...never over 250 kts. This will get you to a low altitude in plenty of time to start your approach many miiles from the airport.2) ALWAYS capture the GS from BELOW. Wait until you start to see the indicator come down and THEN push the approach button. If the indicator hits the center or goes below it, you are out of luck. Timing is everything here.3) Keep your speed up. Even though your calcualtions or your FMC might tell you that your 737 or A320 (for example) should be landing at 135-140 kts, I find that in most cases if I let the speed drop below 150kts, the plane will loose the glide slope, and will not have nough energy to climb back up to capture it again. It is my opinion that this last point is responsible for the trouble that many people have with the GS capture. Landing a little fast seems to have few ill effects, you just get a little more smoke out of the tires!!!!!As others have noted, volumes have been written about this, but I think if you try these three rules, you'll have great success!!!Good Luck,Vonat(PS - actual succsful GS capture illustrated...it CAN be DONE!!!)

yea thanks i will give it a go when i come homethe thing is i tried everything from slow speed to, low fuel, to fast speed, however this time i will get dirty before gs capture, also this time i will press the APP button once i see the GS coming down,but i need to press the APP button earlier so the localiser captures first ?:-hmmm p.s also i havent been centered, so i may have to centre myself first...

Localizer and Approach are two seperate functions. Most if not all planes have two different buttons for this. You first get yourself centered in the horizontal plane by pushing the LOC button once you see your VOR/Localizer indicator start to move towards the center. This ussualy happens several minutes before you reach the point where your GS indicator starts to move down. It is at this pint you push the APP button. You might want to take a quick look in the MS2002 Help section to get familiar with these concepts. There are also some good flight lessons that came with FS with instructors explaining all these things in great detail as you go along.Vonat

thanksbut correct me if i am wrongas i dont have FS2002 at work,but in the default planes there is only the APP button?no LOC button?i know is payware like PIC Phoenix they may be two separate ones

Yep, you're absolutely right. On many smaller planes, the NAV button doubles as the LOC button, so push that one. Be sure you have NAV selected and NOT GPS ...you will usually find a switch for that near the VOR readout.Vonat

ah ha oki never knew the NAV button was also the LOC button,ok so this time i will press the NAV button first for intercept and then APP button for Glidescope intercept and trackingthanksi will give it a go when i get home and report back:-wave

Actually, the APP button will automatically intercept the localiser AND (then) the glideslope, provided you are within reasonable intercept parameters (< 45 degree localiser intecept and under the glideslope to start). Note localiser MUST intercept before the glideslope does.Gary

ok guys it hasnt worked here are some pics1/ has you can see i am getting stablised on the ILS, glidescope is still up awaiting to intercept2/ got the Outer Marker3/ Intercept Glidescope Alt Button gone off4/ Plane takes a dip 5/ See the GS needle, its up, i am too low, plane never recovers and i land on the grass:-hmmm

Well, it's hard to tell exactly what's going on from still pictures, but I do notice two things....one is that your NAV button is not lit at any time. You may be headed in the right direction, but if that button isn't lit, your computer has not locked on to it.Secondly, your IAS is set to 140. I would set it at 150. Even though at the moment your speed IS 150, it must be decelerating to match up with your 140 setting. Allthough the APP button IS capable of capturing both localizer and glideslope, EVERYTHINGS has to be perfect when you push it to be sussceful with that button alone. A good strong localizer lock, a STEADY speed and a CONSTANT altitude. all locked in several miles before you cross the glide slope from below are crucial to your success!!!Good Luck,Vonat