Sign in to follow this  

Landing FS2002 Jets

Hey GuysCan any seasoned sim pilot here tell me if it truly possible to land the FS2002 heavy jets the way they do in the real world? Of all the videos I've watched, the real world pilots just look like they are "driving" the aircraft down to the runway and land perfectly on the center line everytime with very little control input once they are on final. For some reason I cannot fly the aircraft straight down to the runway like that even with winds turrned off. I am always turning and ruddering trying to get lined up correctly but never can. Always seem to be off to one side or get a glideslope warning somewhere along the approach.I'm flying the PIC/Posky 767-300 the majority of the time. Any input would be appreciated.Thanks-Pk

I've never had tremendous difficulty in lining it up. Maybe try getting established on the localizer sooner might help you. Then just follow the needles down. I seem to manage to put it square in the middle of the runway, I just can't seem to "grease" in the landings.

First of all flying these aircraft is much easier in real life than any simulator. I have always dreaded my checks because I know that darn sim is going to make me look like a goof. I think the reason they're more difficult is because the sensations are not there,,, no seat of the pants. Obviously the pilots who fly for a living are going to make it look easy, they've done it hundreds of times in all types of conditions, so don't be to hard on yourself. My advise would be to get better just like I did. Start with small aircraft and perfect your approach, when you've got a small single down move up to a faster twin and so on until your nailing the approaches in the big iron. One other thing, while the opensky model your now using is excellent, I also find that aircraft difficult to handle on approach in the sim.

PSS 747 does it OK'ish especially on autoland.In my opinion, most seasoned sim pilots find exactlywhat you find. I really don't think the sim hasdeveloped sufficiently enough to behave like the real plane.I agree. I've been in the jump seat and they bring them downnicely every time, no matter what.People say they can do this and that perfectly in the sim,but I don't personally know anyone, who has stuck withlearning its basics, let alone actually landing a big plane.Plenty of them buy FS2002 but few of them can get further than that.If you can land the 767-300 after a fashion, then you're doing well.Squillions can't.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest Jimbofly

Pk,When I started simming twelve years ago I found landing the Cessna in FS3 enourmously difficult. I persevered, and eventually I could land roughly along the centerline. I felt pretty good about myself for the achievement.When I started flying the Bell hellicopter in FS98 I couldn't imagine it was possible to execute a smooth touchdown, because it was so difficult to control. What I didn't realise is that the human brain has incredible potential to refine its motor skills, as well as perceptual skills. That's why if you practise, say, juggling, starting with two balls, it seems overwhelming, yet practise over ten years and you'll easily be juggling five balls.Nowadays I can fly pretty much any aicraft, including the helicopter and heavies, and fly them with a great deal of finesse. Landings still require a great deal of concentration but that concentration is easier to come by. I regularly practise with all kinds of wind, which is by far the best way, and manage to land the aircraft with a great deal of accuracy. I feel like I've miserably failed if I deviate even a few feet from the centerline!I also find the Bell helicopter as well as other choppers a breeze to fly and land anywhere in most conditions because of the steady practise I've had over the years.In answer to your question: landing a plane in real life with the skill of a commercial pilot is not by any means easy, and requires a lot of practise, just like in the sim. And yes, it is possible to land aircraft in FS2002 with the same accuracy that is achievable in real life. Just keep practising!James

It's definitely possible to make a great landing in FS2002.I've made 1 or 2 landings where I wish I had made a video of it because the final approach, landing, and rollout were literally perfect...Other times I'm lucky to bounce it only 3 times, or to manage to finally get the spoilers up and reversers set by the 2/3 point down the runway........One thing that helps is to use the ILS to get lined up and to stay on the glidescope until DH. With a steady lock on the ILS and the right speed, it is definitely possible go make a perfect touchdown.As with lots of other things, it simply takes practice as well... :)Can you line up properly in a smaller plane such as the cessnas or beechcrafts? If not, or if you haven't tried, you might want to practice some touch-and-goes with a cessna first, and work your way up to the bigger planes, as bandicoot mentioned in an earlier post.

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

what ive found to help me line up is dont try to line up on the touchdown end, but try to line up on the far end of the runway - it really works, you will find if you try to keep the far end of the runway dead straight ahead that when you come to dh and ready to flair you will only to have to make very small changes to hit the centerlineciao!Brian S

Ciao!

hi this is what i suggest - i guess since u r coming up the runway u r doin most things rite.however ,capture an ils - on autopilot - from a 10 mile final ,and that will be 3000 agl.observe the a/p very closely and note the very minute pitch corrections it uses to hold the g/p ,and the minor bank angles used to hold the llz.since your prob is rwy centreline-- give the session a few knots of wind .note the ils inbound crs - which will be the same as rwy hdg - to the last degree. rwy 27 may be 267 ,268,269... and this is imp. when u correct close to the ruwnay say within 5 odd miles ,dont turn more than 2 or 3 degress,that too using a bank angle of no more than 2 deg!! this will prevent u from makin very gradual s turns ,but that is what is causing the misalignment in the first place.all corrections shud be within 3 to 5 degrees of noted rwy heading ,and when flaring to land ,probably not more than 2 degrees.all this sounds wierd since it says that u gotta look at minute changes inside the cokpit when u shud be lookin out ,but after a while when the importance of small corrections is drilled in - u will fly the plane just by lookin out .prior to this set your fuel to lets say 30 %.. this should allow u an approach speed of about 140 knots with flpas 30 in most jets. let the autopilot fly the plane ,engage autothrottle also . see,observer the pitch att required and , and the thrust that is the N1 held on by th a/t to mntn 140 knots, bi bikunal