Sign in to follow this  

This one's for you, Dad.

I had just finished a repaint of the new DHC-7 in Hawaiian Airlines' old livery today, when I received word that my father had died. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to go ahead and upload it. He would have liked this one especially. He spent the majority of the Korean war in Hawaii, having drawn a lucky posting to Air Search and Rescue at Hickam AFB in Honolulu. He always had the fondest memories of his time in Hawaii, and in the Air Force. A lifelong plane nut, he ironically was afraid to fly after receiving his discharge from the Air Force. We would talk for hours on end about this plane or that, comparing its strengths and weaknesses. He was a graphic design professor at a small art college, a job he held for 35 years and loved dearly. His area of expertise was taking the young, fresh faces and introducing them to the design thought process. I dare say thousands of eager young minds received their first real taste of what it takes to be a designer under his tutelage. I know he taught me a great deal about design integrity and being detail-oriented, and always, always doing what I loved. He thought it a far better thing that we all have a vocation, something that we care about deeply and do well, than all the high-paying jobs in the world. I'd have to agree. So, while my own humble artistic pursuits have brought me into the flightsim orbit, I think he approved heartily. Too bad he was such a computer-phobic, or I think he would have loved simming!Anyway, here's what I just uploaded. Enjoy it! And while you're flying, blow past Hickam and dip your wings to old Bill, Sr. He'll be the one in the standard-issue uniform, but with the argyle socks.http://www.spottedantelope.com/bwomack/ima...awaiian_air.jpgI'm going to take a bit of time off and deal with family matters. Hope to see you all here real soon, though! I've got a lot more DHC-7 repaints in me, and my first scenery file is almost done, too.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Nice job, and you can bet every time I fly this finely painted aircraft I'll think about your Dad. He sounds like one fine human being. Hornit

Bill,Very sorry to hear that. It sounds like he lived a long a fulfilled life. You have my condolences...P.S. I was just checking the forums before posting a request for the Hawaiian livery. Odd chance!

Guest Milton

Bill,Very nicely done! Thank you for sharing this texture and the heartwarming story of a great gentleman, veteran, father, and apparent mentor. This will be special to me as well.Milton

I am sure your father is looking down from on high with a broad grin, for surely, the apple has not fallen far from the tree. May your beautiful art soar on angels wings to your beloved father.I wish you and yours peace and solice in your time of loss. You have my family's sincere condolences.Best regards,Mike T.

condolances....My father passed in 97, I still contact him regularly....best wishesB

Bill,Sorry to hear the sad news :-(. Bill Sr. sounds like he was a great guy, very inspirational.Great repaint, I think I may install it and do a trip round the islands - I'll keep an eye out for the guy in the argyll socks :-).Dave.

Brillient Paint work ,it really is and your Father sounds like the sort of person I would be Very Proud and Like a lot ,I am sure he was Real Proud of you also :)Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry to hear of your loss, Bill. Fitting tribute to both an artist and an Air Force Veteran.Don

....a salute to you Bill Sr.thanks for all you've done.Bill Jr.....take care, man. we'll see you soon.

Sorry about your loss, I lost my father in 98, and looking back I wish I could have spent more time with him, I sure miss him and think about him quite offen.Like you I had a great Dad and I'm a better person because of him. Thanks Dad.jim

Guest Lizardo

Sincerest condolences also. I wasn't going to get that texture, but I will now and recall him and you as I fly it.