Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wac

ILS Problem ...

Guest Wac

All,I need some help, I have found that the ILS doesn't work correctly for a few of the airports in FS2002.The ones I have discovered so far are Liverpool(EGGP Only RWY9) and Cardiff(EGFF Both RWY12 & RWY30).The problem is that when I tune into the ILS I only get one ILS bar, normally you get two, a vertical and a horizontal. However I only get the vertial bar, which is rather like a VOR.Now I know I've tuned into the correct freqency, and I know how to use the ILS system, I've been flying with FS for over two years now.If anyone can shed any light on this it would be very welcome.Regards,Wac :-wave

Greetings Wac...I hate giving incomplete information, but there's a program out there that can fix or change ils's in the FS2002 database. I know it's at flightsim.com, but I don't know about here. Hopefully my reply will tickle someone's memory, and they can give you more info...-John

While not a frequent occurance, I believe that some airports may exist where HNAV but not VNAV (GlideSlope) may exist. I believe that they are actually mutually exclusive although in most case they usually exist together.I state this because often on airport navaid facility info, G/S is listed as a seperate item.It may be a cost item at some locations. As an example, when I was flying real SE props in 1973, I was doing VFR into Dayton, OH. ATC asked me to do radar ID turns. I asked if I could squawk ID on my transponder and he replied that their approach radar was not transponder ID equipped and mumbled about budget restrictions. I was surprised at that "late" date that in major US airports, approach radar would not recognise transponders. So perhaps a similar case occurs with Localisers (HNAV) and G/S (VNAV) at some locations.Look at the airports in question at www.airnav.com, an AOPA airport guide, etc. for facilities. In the FS2002 folder the file for runway and aid data is prnydata.txt that you can look at with wordpad. One of the ILS parameters may signify which services are available.

This is quite interesting. However, Cardiff does have an ILS for both RW12 and 30, the problem with FS is that they share the same frequency. If your plane's gauges show Navaid identifiers you'll see you're tuned into the wrong one. This problem has been around for a while (at least since FS2000), and if there's a fix, I'd definitely be interested. Until then, it's BC approaches...Cheers,Gosta.

>However, Cardiff does have an ILS >for both RW12 and 30, the problem with FS is that they share >the same frequency. Well, this has been discussed extensively on this forum. It is actually a non-issue if you approach the airport on the correct 'side' and then tune your ILS (and not before). I have no problem conducting ILS approaches to both ends of runway that share the same frequency. No BC needed. Michael J.

Guest RonB49

Hey Wac,Scroll down in this forum and find the thread entitled, "SNARL ! More ILS Crapola in FS 2002," it was started by JSacks. It is rather long but there is lots of good info there on all manner of things that contribute to this problem and how to fix them. R-

Guest Wac

Nope, I've already checked out that thread ... I don't have any duplicated bgl's. Never changed any of them, my flightsim is like this after a clean install. :(Regards,Wac :-wave