Sign in to follow this  
Guest shaunm

still have sudden cloud changes

Guest shaunm

Hi Still having sudden visabilty changes. Take off from Cardiff( EGFF ) and at start i have 5 miles visabilty, few at 7000 and then broken at 16000. Soon as i get to 7000 there is a sudden change from flying through thick cloud to few clouds about me and clear visibility between. Its early in the morning here. Still have to read manual yet but just didnt expect sudden changes like this. Thanks shaun

Shaun,Sorry your first flight was not smooth. Some suggestions:Use Minimum Weather Settings in FSUIPC.Like you said read the manual!Please, post back if you are still having trouble.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Same for me too, when the weather is updated, the sky changes immediatelly.I dont get smooth transition, overcast to clear sky????.Thanks,Allen CremeenLFBL

Guest rugerdog

Same here, no transitions at all. I have all settings according to the instructions and it's really quite terrible.

Are the clouds on the ground updating from the start of use with new weather data? This is how it is supposed to happen, the weather assumes the settings and relies on the station-based local range suppression features to keep changes away from visual range (in which you then fly into the weather visually without seeing any changes).Perhaps increase your local suppression range, ensure this option is enabled.... Do realize that instant changes on the ground are normal, the update MUST happen at some time, this is meant to happen at the start of your flight. After that the suppression features keep things smooth. Please read the manual (the options descriptions) for more info.If you are experiencing cloud changes when flying in global wx areas (no or few nearby wx stations) then try unchecking the Global Writes option.Does this help?Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Shaun,You had instant visibility change at the cloud deck level? This is normal, you were flying through a cloud, with the visibility layer extended into it. When you fly out of the cloud deck, the visibility is going to increase. Sometimes FS9 doesn't represent this perfectly especially with fewer coverage cloud decks.Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg

Damian Clark

Guest rugerdog

On my flights I'm experiencing the instant cloud disappearing thing with weather in my immediate vicinity, i. e., overcast under me will just pop away like magic. Clouds that form on the distant horizon are very very smooth in transition.

James,Please post your AS2004.ini file and I'll take a look.Are you running FSUIPC at weather minimums?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest babewatcher

I too have experienced a sudden loss of clouds while flying level at 32000 ft only to have active sky scroll across my screen 3 secs later a weather update. no transition smoothing noticed here also.Don

Guest rugerdog

Exactly what's happening with me Don.

Don and James,When this happened, were you in an area with very few reporting zones? Was the problem that you were in GLOBAL only weather and since the only wx that was updatable was the wx you were currently 'viewing'? If so, this is a known issue, read my other posts on the subject. You can greatly improve things by either a) unchecking Global Writes (and avoiding global wx, which can transition quickly when its the only thing around), or setting your suppression altitude above your cruise alt to avoid any udpates (set this back to 10K or wherever you want before returning to areas with many reporting stations - if you want to see updates anyways).If this wasn't the case - you had plenty of reporting points - then something isn't working right with the local suppression range. If this is so, I'd like to find out more details about when/how you re-created the problem so I can duplicate.I apologize for the problems you are having, and I hope we can sort them out for you. If the software can be improved to handle the situtations you're encountering, I'll do that ASAP of course, so lets keep this dialog going and get things righted for you! Thanks for your patience and support...Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg

Damian Clark

Guest rugerdog

Hi Jim,Affirmative on the setting FSIUPC at weather minimums before launching Activesky. I am following the instruction manual to a tee.Here are the contents of my .ini file://AS2004 configuration file[General]WindowPosX = 1935WindowPosY = 1545DefaultWeatherFolder = C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 10000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 10LocalSuppressionRange = 50OnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseGlobalWrites = TrueVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueRouteWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = FalseDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = TrueAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 9VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = -6TAFProcessing = TrueWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = TrueUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEThank you for for help Jim.

Guest babewatcher

DamianThanks for the quick reply. On the occasion that I had this quick disappearance of clouds I was flying from Toronto to Nashville at 32000 ft. I take this to be an area where weather stations shouldnt be a problem. I also experienced some real radical wind changes after this happened that caused my speed to fluctuate by as much as 100 knots. Its possible i went from an area with reporting stations to an area without reporting stations.At the time I was about 120 miles north of Nashville.Im also having problems with my auto throttle not responding as it should on different planes and at different places and altitude. Global wx was ticked off on default and I have unticked it at your suggestion.Don

I saw this cloud disappearing thing on my first flight too - it was a simple KTUS-KPHX flight at 12000 feet, about 93nm. I saw an entire cloud bank in front of me disappear suddenly, then reappear, then dissapear again!Also, I think this must be the vertical visibility problem mentioned elsewhere, but I took off with a really awesome looking realistic haze that looked very true to life - as I climbed (still in the same weather region), that cool effect suddenly disappeared, letting me see for like 100 miles in all directions with no haze at all. Is that supposed to happen? It sure didn't look real after that...What I did notice was the abscence of crazy wind shifts - good job in that department!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>suddenly disappeared, letting me see for like 100 miles in all>directions with no haze at all. Is that supposed to happen? >It sure didn't look real after that...I think this may have nothing to do with AS. I see it happen even when using regular static, user-defined weather in FS9 with no other weather add-ons or online updates. I think this is how FS9 draws weather - with having some sharp transitions in visibility when you cross specified altitudes. I am afraid FS9 weather is far from perfect.Michael J.