Sign in to follow this  

Active sky wxRe-YESSS!

Just gave it a try-just scratching the surface with what it can do but flew from kfnt to kdet-left at 1,100 overcast-by the time I got to kdet it was snow and 2 miles v-this program did a great job-it was very real-and updated about 5 times during the flight. Transitions were smooth.. So far very impressed!Thanks for a great addition...Just verified with duats:KFNT:wind 360

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I had the pleasure as serving on the beta team. Damian has done a wonderful job and it is amazing what wxRE does to the weather in FS2002. And using the default FS2002 clouds!Fantastic add-on.

I must agree. ActiveSky is one awesome piece of software and Damian is a great guy who will keep on improving it over time. Happy flying,Philip

I, too, had the pleasure of beta testing wxRE. I have been using it with the FS Sky World SE clouds, and this combination works great together as well. The manual is also well done, and is very educational regarding FS weather and weather reporting. I recommend this program ... Damian has done an outstanding job and is committed to making the program even better in the future. Steve J.

Geof, you can also set the rate of updates in "Options" if you want more or less of them.

Hey Geofa! I purchased this program tonight and am also an "X" FS Meteo user. What did you think of the clouds??? I thought they were pretty damn amazing, a nice improvement over FS Meteo! Glad I bought this and thanks to Damien! ;-)

Hi Geoff,As a long time and happy FSMeteo user, is there anything in Active sky that would make me move over to it?Any info would be appreciated,Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australiahttp://members.iinet.net.au/~portercb/flyp...ta_tester_3.jpgIntel Pentium IV 2.26GHz(533)512K L2 Cache NorthwoodIntel D850EMV2-LAN P4 (533MHz FSB)Kingston/Samsung 256MB PC-800 RAMBUS, x 2 (512Mb)MSI-8872 GeForce4 Titanium 4600 128MB DDRMSFS2002 Pro Full install at 1280x1024x32

Better Clouds, Wake Turbulance, better support, what more could you want? ;-)

More reason than you listed thats for sure. We have received excellent support from Marc. Your comment in another thread regarding Marc's failure to allow you to copy the program to any computer is a licensing issue. Not a support issue.As a happy FSMeteo user, I too would like to hear a "constructive" comparison between the two. Perhaps it is better and if thats the case, I'd like to take advantage of it as well.Michael

More reason than you listed thats for sure. We have received excellent support from Marc. Your comment in another thread regarding Marc's failure to allow you to copy the program to any computer is a licensing issue. Not a support issue.The support issue goes deeper than that Michael, I care not get into it here.Just take it from someone who has used both. I like wxRE much better. Again, I'm in no way afiliated with them either. If you are happy with FS Meteo stick with it.

Again, I understand you like it better. However, are you willing to tell us that do not have it, why its better?Thank you,Michael

I guess we'll just have to wait until daylight to get an objective opinion from folks who have both. :-lol

Geezzzz, how many times do I have to say it, I HAVE BOTH, AM RUNNING BOTH and like wxRE Better for the above stated reasons. If you want a more in-depth review that pretty much is just a bunch of words, I'm sure someone will provide it for you soon ;-0(

Actually what you said was that you had a problem with Marc over installing FS Meteo on multiple computers. So its understandable that you are probably biased against FS Meteo in the first place.

Well, that is understood, but since I still have a working version of FS Meteo (5.1) I went into this open-minded, just read my posts in the wxRE forum today. With that said and as I said on the thread I started, my first impression is wxRE is a winner and I'm glad I purchased it. I still have FS Meteo and will continue to compare them.

hmmmm....I just checked the FS Meteo website and the current version is 5.2. I didn't know ActiveSky had a forum; I'll check the posts there...thanks.

hmmmm....I just checked the FS Meteo website and the current version is 5.2. LOL, exactly my point! ;-) I can't get the upgrade becasue he doesn't shoe me in his "database" even though I purchased through simmarket.com With that said, I'm glad I didn't get it as two people that fly with me online have had all sorts of trouble with 5.2 (weird,wacky berometor reading, i.e. 32.84) and complete "Grey" outs, not white outs due to bad visibility.Anyway, as I said before, I'm happy with wxRE and appreciate the support so far (not that I've needed it yet) ;-) But at least they have a forum ;-)

SteveJones or somebody else... On what settings do you usually run FS Skyworld and Active Sky?I haven't been confident how actually the FS Skyworld works... does it consider what kind of weather Active Sky is updating to the FS?So if it's light clouds when departing and when later on Active Sky changes weather to thunderstorms, does the FS Skyworld notice this and install automatically the thunderstorm cloudset...I have tried to understand this by looking information about this in these forums and elsewhere... There has been some explanation how FS Skyworld works, but i guess i'm a little bit "homer" ;-) because i still don't get it...So, can somebody recomend what kind of settings to use in FS Skyworld program when running Active Sky at the same time? Thanks!-HJ-

Sounds good to me. Price and PayPal makes it attractive for me.QUESTION: I have installed the demo for FsMeteo and used it a few times. Newer got beyond that. What do I need to do to remove the demo? I killed the exe by renaming it to Xexe. Are there some dlls I should also cull out to purge the system of FsMeteo?Thanks,BobThe FAQs for the TB20Gt are loacted here http://mtco.com/~rsam/FAQs.htmWe R rsam@mtco.comHelp us make it better!http://mtco.com/~rsam/fartslogo.jpg11/23/02

HJ-Here's my understanding of it. wxRE does not automatically install cloud textures, it uses whatever cloud sets are already installed in FS2002. If using with FSSWSe, you must first select and install the cumulus, high/mid level and thunderstorm set you wish to use (I believe during wxRE beta testing, or possibly in the final manual, there is some caution about using FSSWSe V-Sky....I'll have to check). My impression is some testers like FSSWSE better, some default, depending on the type of weather they are trying to simulate. So, unless you have FSSWSe updating cloud sets randomly during your flight, the set you start with will be the types of clouds used by wxRE for that particular flight. And regarding your question about transitioning from light clouds to thunderstorm, yes wxRE will sense this from what is reported in the METAR and TAF, and then simulate.....both types of clouds are installed and available in whichever cloud sets you are using. HTH, Steve J.