Sign in to follow this  

Hi all, I posted this over in the hardware forum, and I apologise for the cross-post. But I thought I'd try over here since this is where all the weather/visibilty gurus hang out ;-)I was wondering if some kind soul out in FS-Land could help me with the settings for an XFX GeForce 6600 256MB card (this is the "Plain Jane" one, not the GS or GT).I recently upgraded to this card from an ATI Radeon 9200 128mb card. With the old card I had a nice smooth transition from the sky to the horizon (using the ATI "Table Fog=0") line in the FS9.cfg file. However, with this Nvidia based card, now there is always a haze it seems, and the aircraft has a circle of white around it on the horizon between the sky and horizon that I didn't have before. This has my stymied...I've tried changing every setting I can think of in FSUIPC (registered ver 3.60), ActiveSky ver 4.5 and FS9 itself. I hate having that white circle around the horizon...any suggestions will be VERY appreciated. I'm using the ForceWare 84.21 drivers.Thanks in advance,ScottKJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Hi Scott,It could be the FS9 haze, that moving island of thin clouds that follow you wherever you go. The only fix I know of is to use AS and then there is an option to disable this haze. Maybe I already posted this somewhere!Edit: You can do this! I just fired up my AS2004.5 and the option is called Depict FS9 Haze Layer. Make sure this is Off and see what happens.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Hi Jim,Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried checking and unchecking the Depict FS9 Haze option in ActiveSky. It makes no difference. That broad band of white I described is also present using when I just use the weather that FS9 loads at start up also.Before I came to work I looked at some screenshots I took before I installed the Nvidia card. That broad band I described was not there with the ATI card. I like the performance of the Nvidia, but now am beginning to wish I hadn't switched to it.Regards,ScottKJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Scott,have you tried an older Forceware version yet?I have a GeForce 6610XL, and encountered visual problems compareable to yours, after installation of Forceware 84.21 .Downgrading to 81.98 solved this problem.Give it a try...Regards,

Joerg Alvermann
Win10 Pro 64Bit - i9-9900KS - GTX980Ti 6GB - 5760x1200

Thanks for the driver tip. I might just have to do that.Regards,ScottKJMS

Scott Cebula

Since I have my Nvidia 6600, 256Mo., I used the old 79.84 driver.. Never had problems...I'v tried to change one time without succes...Alain

Hi Alain,Thanks for the tip about the 79.84's. Where did you get them at? I just searched the Nvida site file archive library, and I cannot find any with that number.Regards,ScottKJMS

Scott Cebula

Thanks Jim!ScottKJMS

Scott Cebula

Thanks Alain!ScottKJMS

Scott Cebula

Hi Everyone,Just did a long flight KJFK to KDFW with the LDS 767 and nVidia81.98 driver on my 6600 card with 256mb of memory and everything worked great. Like those before, if I used the latest drivers I got terrible cloud rendering in the distance, but with 81.98 it was great and really good FPS.Havins said that, is it a problem with the latest nVidia forceware drivers and if so, how do we let nVidia know that this problem is happening with their latest drivers?Suggestion would sure help. But thanks for the advice on the archive drivers, as I said sure works well.Bob

Hi all,Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread!Just as an update, I retro-graded from the Forceware 84.12 driver to the 81.98 set yesterday. BIG difference in how the horizon and faraway clouds are rendered. After some fiddling with FSUIPC v3.60 and ActiveSky4.5, I have things pretty much to where I'm happy with them.All your responses and help were very much appreciated.Regards,ScottKJMS

Scott Cebula