Is anybody flying through this one tonight? One word - awesome. One of the most rewarding flights i've had in a long time. Very high wind speeds for a small hurricane. A fun flight for a sim pilot anyway. :D

I did some testing in FLOSSIE when it was building up around 70kts :) While of course the hurricane simulation was tested a bunch before release of ASX we were using canned data... this was the first real test possible and as you can imagine I was quite happy with the results :)BTW, check out one of the pinned topics here in this forum and post that pic there... I do believe you have won a prize!Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Really! Thank you, I saw the contest a while back but since forgot about it. Then I heard tonight about Fossie and loaded it up. It was really and truly an incredible flight. I flew directly towards the eye, and at first it wasn't too bad - later it got worse - and the whole experience was much more realistic than I thought possible. Everything was there, even the eye of the storm! I have a screen of that one too. I could see right down to the ocean. Thanks HIFI for a truly great flight sim experience!

Hey! I just saw your post. Was that fun or what?I had a very similar experience, although I loaded up an the A310. I was around FL29000 with I finally saw blue sky. There were a few moments where I was full throttle and still struggling to climb with the wind. The highest wind speed I noticed was around 214. Now that's cooking!

>Hey! I just saw your post. Was that fun or what?>>I had a very similar experience, although I loaded up an the>A310. I was around FL29000 with I finally saw blue sky. There>were a few moments where I was full throttle and still>struggling to climb with the wind. The highest wind speed I>noticed was around 214. Now that's cooking! Yep was real fun and never saw clouds performing that particular pattern in FS...Saved the weather we should try it with a p3 hurricane hunter lolGreat job hope never to encounter this in real life...Even the eye wall is there in FSX :-) fun to experience it via simulation :-)Andr

André

Agreed, I can't wait for a cat 5 to come across (although I hope it doesn't reach land for safeties sake) but I hope never to be in one in any real flight.I originally took off from PHTO in the Realair scout, but I realized that I couldn't make any headway into FLOSSIE. So I switched in flight to the A310. Just for fun I killed engine #2 at about Fl18, and I realized I wasn't going to have the power to maintain altitude. Fired up #2 and finally started to climb! You are right about the eye, I have some other screens in the area of just above the eye and was amazed at to see that it was depicted so completely in ASX/XG. It was really neat to fly just above the ceiling and see/hear all the lightning and thunder going on in that baby. I saved the weather as well, and indeed a trip back in a p3 Hurricane hunter would be very nice. I've only seen a FS9 version at the file library though.We need to keep an eye on Dean and Erin as well. I heard Dean is expected to reach hurricane status within 24 hours.

We need to watch out Scott soon we are official hurricane hunters virtual that is :-lolYep read about Dean but was curious what Damian could do with ASX and FSX and that is impressive :-beerchugI'm using it from the first version (ActiveSky wxRE) till the latest and great progress has been made... (from 14-12-2002 with a file size of 3.448 KB)Performance was great to even with all those clouds and layers in FSX was flying a complex add-on in terms of system simulation...Great graphics from ASG too :-)Edit::-lol was just checking and look what I've found :-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176729.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176730.jpgBut super typhoon Sepat isn't depicted and should have hit a weather station that big lol Damian comment?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176731.jpgAndr

André

I guess it has yet to hit of 64kt winds at a station yet? Hard to believe with a storm of that size. Looks like I know where I'll be flying tonight.This kinda stuff is addictive to me as a fan of Flight sim and the Weather channel, I guess we can be the official non-official Hurricane hunters :D Erin is shaping up to be primarily a rain event, and Dean is soon to be a hurricane.

Hi Andre,I investigated and it looks like we are lacking data coverage in this area (its JUST outside our western pacific regional coverage area).The good news is during investigation we have found several new enhanced sources for southern pacific data which we plan on implementing in the next few weeks (well before the southern pacific's hurricane season).We'll look at some possibilities of increasing coverage here in the extreme west pacific in the near future. There are many advancements taking place in hurricane/storm reporting facilities and data sources, and we are hoping to take advantage of it. Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest MauiHawk

Hey Damian,While I haven't had a chance to do any hurricane hunting yet myself, the shots posted look awesome... good work!But I was wondering why you have a reliance on actual stations. Wouldn't it be possible to generate virtual stations given the advisory info? Also, when the storms are close to land, dropsondes would actually give you some real readings to work with in addition to educated estimates from advisories. I suppose your wx servers might not have access to the advisory/dropsonde data and/or it would be difficult to normalize the data? Then again, you surely have to be using some advisory data in the depictions you are already doing, yes?This is not a complaint by any means, just a curiosity....

>Saved the weather we should try it with a p3 hurricane hunter>lol>Funny you should say that, I just completed that flight in a P3 and recorded it to post on YouTube. I set the date in ASX to yesterday, when it was still a hurricane and flew through it at 2000ft. While the clouds was impressive, although not completely overcast, The wind in game never went over 16kt's right from the outer edge up through and across the eye. Plus there was no rain. The ASX radar did show 90mph wind and was very distinctively depicted, but in game not so much. This is with ASX SP1 installed. Your shots doesn't show wind speed in game, did you notice high winds depicted other than in the ASX radar?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hmm, I had complete overcast at over 3000ft, and had plenty of rain. The wind though, it didn't seem to be as powerful as I might have imagined. Everything else was pretty solid. I know your speaking to Andre, but my screenshot does show 79kts although, honestly I didn't feel an overwhelming shear condition, but it did effect my overall speed, I guess it was the way I approached it.

>Your shots doesn't show wind speed in>game, did you notice high winds depicted other than in the ASX>radar?Once in the cloud deck:Had high winds thunderstorms + a lot of rain to...Winds up till 114 knots and guesting much higher the airplane had a rough time to keep up with this stuff...Never experienced this intense weather in MS Flightsim ;-)The model is intense curious what a category 5 indeed will do ;-)Tom which P3 did you use?Cheers,Andr

André