Hello !We are in hurricane season and we have Dean (tropical storm level 4) on Hispaniola now. Weather reports winds around 200/240 km/h (it's 130 kts). In ActiveSky X, we have still winds limited to 99 kts beetween 0 and 15000 feet. (I have surface wind velocity in settings limited at 200 kts). We have also no turbulence (strange in a tropical storm) and a wind direction constant in each part of hurricane.So, is hurricane depiction only graphic or is FSX unable to render such weather phenomena ? I can't believe that Active Sky can't modelize winds in hurricane or at least give some realistic wind speed (more than 99 kts with turbulence and windshear).Maybe a track for SP2 ?Pierre N

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just a possibility ?Nowaday, depiction of hurricane is given (I suppose from the map in ASX) by 5S03 (VAS). May be it's possible to have a net of 5 VAS to depict such hurricane (or 4):One for eye of hurricane (no wind, pressure minimum and a radius of 10 to 20 nm) and some VAS around with winds rotating around the eye.IE VAS at north : wind 90/150 distance 40 nm from eyeVAS at east : wind 180/150VAS at south : Wind 270/150VAS at west : wind 360/150I know that FSX fails in depiction of winds (hoping that an hypothetic FSX-SP DirectX10 gives us a better modelization)By the way, for FS9, Wetter 2004 from Prischatz gave wind modelization around depression, have you any contact with him ?Friendly flying.Papy_PegaseAsus P5BDeluxe- Core2Duo 67008800GTX - 2 GB DDR2 PC6400FSX + FSUIPC4 Asus P5WD2 - P4 830DnVidia 7950 GT - 2 GB DDR2 PC5300ActiveSkyX + XGraphics + Radar Contact + WideFS.

Re hello !In fact, these VAS around are present in Active Sky X : "Radius dynamic station for Hurricane Dean" and there are a lot :-) But all these stations give the same METAR (excepted name of station !)4133 190843Z VRB99KT 185V355 1SM OVC010 OVC120 OVC220 +RA 20/20 Q0921 RMK DEAN LOC 016.600Is it possible to program wind parameters (VRB99KT and 185V355) in function of azimut and distance from the eye (or 5S03) ?And to add extension for Simconnect (@xxx) for turbulence and windshear ?I'm very confident you are capable to add this to ASX :D Pierre N

> We have also no turbulenceMy experience differs. I flew through Dean in the Lear jet (FSX), and experienced SEVERE turbulence. Got tossed around like a cork in the ocean, in fact.

Hi everyone,Thanks for the feedback...It must be said that of course our hurricane depiction isn't "perfect" and we do have limitations we are up against.With that said, we are ALWAYS working to improve things and based on some feedback here we already have started working on several things including:- Better modeling of the eye with enhanced clearing of clouds and wind speeds (currently being modeled by ASX but not depicted properly always in FSX due to limitations we are working to get around)- Better modeling of wind directions around the cyclonic air mass so winds properly shift in their proper directions based on radial from the eye and the direction of cyclonic rotation (which depends on hemisphere)- Increased "rough-weather effect" option which can enhance the apparent turbulence and general difficulty of flying in various areas of the hurricane (i.e. penetration of the eye wall being most extreme)If you have suggestions, comments, etc. that you would like to be officially considered for future development, as always, please write us at tell-us@hifisim.com.Thanks all!

Wow great. All those things sound like just the ticket to take these events to the next level.

Hi Damian,Great news about this issue. I knew you were aware about it. And I wish you all the best to compel FSX to execute orders of Active Sky X ;-) Thanks a lot for your answer.Pierre N

>Increased "rough-weather effect" option which can enhance>the apparent turbulence and general difficulty of flying in>various areas of the hurricane (i.e. penetration of the eye>wall being most extreme)I'm eagerly awaiting this enhancement, no gusts no glory! ;)

While I admit I've only once & briefly tried "hurricane hunting" with ASX, following hurricanes has been a minor hobby of mine for quite a while. The additional turbulence sounds great... but I wonder if you can also amplify it even further on landfall? Maybe you already do and I didn't notice it?I know that the turbelence from hurricanes becomes so severe upon landfall that hurricane hunters aren't even allowed to fly over land when hunting. Even close to land I think the turbulence can get significantly worse in the offshore wind such as was noticed in this report from the hunters:http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/text/REPNT...00708210833.txt