Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilC

E-Dimensional 3D glasses

I just got these for Christmas, but can't get them to work right. After much "tinkering", I got them to work briefly in FS2002. After a few seconds, images seem to be retained on either the left or right side and then overlap the current images on the other side. What you end up with is a completely "jumbled" picture. I am currently running a Ti 4600 Video card an a p4 2.8, Det drivers 41.09, Stereo drivers 30.87, DX 9. I have tried numerous driver changes, but all the same. Could it be the DX 9? Any ideas? Thanks!Mark

Guest sunstriker

HiLucky you nice present; have you got the driver for 40 series from the stereo section of www.guru3d.com? Have you read the info there?I dont have the glasses but did run for a while with the cardboard ones though I used 3072 driversSun

I had trouble when I upgraded to 41.09, running the 30.82 stereo drivers. I've since gone back to 30.82 main drivers which are so much more stable for me, and all is well. In every other respect, I'm right up to date with XP Service Pack 1, DX 9 etc.Remember your glasses won't work with many panels in 2D mode, only in 3D.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Well, I think I found the answer! Kill the AA in your Geforce control panel. I found a post over at guru 3d that suggested killing the Anso filtering too, but mine works fine with just the AA off.

Query.When you run stereo drivers, what happenes to normalapps. such as Photoshop, or word processors.Or do these have to be on another computer?Peter Sydney Australia

I had similar problems and uninstalled / reinstalled FS2002 after the Nvidia stereo drivers were installed and that did the trick. They were problem free after that.

THe easiest thing to do is set the stereo drivers to turn on and off with a hot key combination. Turn 'em on when you want'em and off when you don't!

Howdy Sarge,Let me suggest first that if you are using the 30.87 Stero Drivers you should then use the 30.87 regular nVidia drivers. The 40.xx series drivers will not work, (or at least I have never been able to get them to work), with the 30.87 or 30.82 drivers. What works best on my system, is the 30.82 drivers and the 30.82 Stero Drivers. These seem to be the most stable, although the 30.87 work well as long as I use both of the 30.87 drivers. I am also using DX 9. DX9 works fine on my machine.My system is a P4@1.4Gig. the vidio card is a geForce4ti4600. I have tried the 40.xx Stero Drivers, and the 40.72 drivers, but they would not work well on my system. I have tried several different 40xx and 41xx drivers and have always went back to the 30.82 pair or the 30.87 pair. Either of these work well.For 3D stero, your Ansitropic settings make no difference and I don't believe you need ant-aliasing with stero, but I thing that AA will work with stero, just a large framerate hit. You should uncheck Transform and Lighting however, else things on the ground do not stay put. With T&L unchecked your VASI lights and towers will stay on the ground and not split into two parts. Vertical-sync must be left on.You must run in full screen,,(ALT+ENTER), as sterographic 3D will not work in a window. Sometimes when stero will not start, hit the ALT key twice, this will bring down the menu, then hide the menu, often this will force stero to work. If after hitting the ALT key twice, stero still wants to be cranky, bring up the Menubar and go to, OptionsSettingsDisplayHardware, and change the resolution usually one lower, than the resolution you were using, then if stero starts go back and change the resolution to what you had originally. This will usually force stero to start. Occasionaly stero will get cranky and not syncronize the glasses with the screen, if this happens you may have to change the resolution a few times, try one higher or one lower, usually a couple of changes is all you have to make. 3D works best with the virtual cockits, in the 2D panels, it pastes the panel against your screen and it appears you are looking out of a window. Using the virtual cockpit, it looks as if you are looking into a mirror.The Stero Drivers will not make any difference in any other graphic programs. or any program that is not running full screen.Good luck with your E Dimensional glasses. I have had mine for nearly a year and a half. There is a bit of a learning curve on how to best optimize the stero application, sometimes it seems to be a bit of a pain getting things to work right, however when it does work, it is quite amazing. Well worth the effort in my opinion. :)

Let me add a bit more to this post. You must set up your stero drivers from the control panel before using them. Did you do this?Right click an empty spot on your desktop, click properties, go to SettingsAdvanced, then click the Stero Properties tab. Select Enabled or Enabled by HotKey. Check Page Flipped in the radio button. Leave for now Stero Seperation at 30%, click Medical Test Image. Now wheather you can see the test image or not hit escape and then click yes to the dialogue box that comes up. Now Hit the Apply button. Click Stero Setup and Test. If Monitor size is not already selected, set it to your monitor size. Your first resolution is 640x480 set your refresh rate up to around 100 to 120hz, then click Launch TestApplication. If you get stero, go back and set the refresh rate up one more notch, and try the test at that resolution. Keep trying until you get the fastest refresh rate, then, BE SURE AND SAVE THAT SETTING. Do the same for each resolution, finding the fastest refresh rate that your monitor can handle, then save that setting. You must do this for all of the 16 bit pixels,(Notice that 16 and 32 bit pixels are at the very top of the box), then do the same for each resolution in the 32 bit pixel range. If you do this and be sure and save the setting at the fastes refresh rate that your monitor is capable of you shouldn't have much trouble. Admittedly Stero is a bit cranky about starting from time to time, but again it is worth the trouble.

Thanks for all the help. I've actually got everything working pretty decently now. The Iron Knuckles VC looks great in 3D! Mark

tnx, om, for ur FAQ re. Edimensional glasses. The vasi lights were driving me crazy until reading your msg. I now have it filed away in duplicate :).Before reading your post, every time 3D wasn't happening I was in the habit of exiting to the Stereo Setup and Test utility where of course I changed the resolution to run the test. Little did I realize that it was my switching resolutions which was kicking in the 3D.Thanks again for the tip sheet, I've only had mine since XMAS day.== WHK ==

Guest kdfw

HiIron Knuckles in 3D is great. Notice the VC gauge update speed? On my system it updates ~1/sec or so which is a little too slow (3D or not 3D).If you have the trackIR then 3D effect is better. Pat

1st Issue: Refresh RatesI have a 19 In Viewsonic A90f monitor. Within the Display settings, I placed the resolution at 100 Mhz, however, within the Stereo Separation settings, I can not get anything other than 85 hz. Does anyone know what I need to do to have several refresh rates available to select within the Stereo Setup?2nd Issue: Separation percentageI am getting a 3D display with my separation set at 22%. If I set it any higher than that, I get double images so I press Cntrl-F3 until the images come together. Is there anything I can do to cause the 3-D separation to look like a single image if I set it to a larger percentage of resolution?3rd Issue: Image too darkI tried increasing the gamma value (Ctrl-G), but the image looks too washed out. It seems you lose a lot of contrast at the expense of making it brighter. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the best quality image after increasing the gamma value?BOTTOM LINE:Despite all the troubleshooting involved in setting up these glasses, what I have seen thus far indicates using them adds so much more to the experience of flying within FS2K2. I just need a little more fine tuning, and I will be one happy flight simmer.KeithStuck at 85hz