Sign in to follow this  
Guest rprachun

DC-3 Autopilot oddity

Guest rprachun

I am beginning to suspect that my brain is suffering from oxygen deprivation, but does not the DC-3 come with an autopilot? All of my models have none! A quick look in the aircraft config shows that an autopilot option is there. The first line is AUTOPILOT=1 ...does this mean a YES or a NO?I think I'll just have another suck of this O2 bottle while someone hopefully clears this up. :-)Ray

You have a fine Sperry autopilot just at the cockpit center! ;)I advise you to read the manual... it's a "rough" autopilot, just maintains heading and pitch, but it's wonderful.Ciao!

Ciao!

Rosario Manzo, IT

An autopilot serves double duty as a "copilot" when you are flying "solo" in flight sim.With that rationale as a prelude, please consider learning and using the keyboard autopilot commands. (Tongue in cheek here) Keyboard autopilot commands work with the Sperry and greatly enhance the capability of your "copilot".:-)Roy

Guest jaeger1952

Regarding the Sperry Autopilot, I'm wondering what purpose the "sensitivity" dials serve. I've been monkeying around with them and can detect no real difference in how the autopilot features behave. Can anyone enlighten me regarding this seemingly active feature?Jaeg-

Jaeg, when all else fails, there's always the manual :)Do remember, all, that Bill Rambow spent many months of his life and marriage putting together a fabulous manual for the R4D-6 package. It's there for the reading!From the manual, Jaeg:ADJUSTING CONTROL FORCE SENSITIVITY The three SPEED VALVE control wheels at the bottom edge of the unit are used to vary the sensitivity of the Sperry's hydraulic controls. Since it was designed specifically for this plane and panel, Arne has made the center setting of the Mark III's wheels normal for the R4D. Just click on the center of a wheel to set it to normal. When loading the R4D into FS, the wheels will be centered by default. Each wheel controls one axis and is situated below the corresponding gauge and control knob. Rotating the wheels toward a higher number, by clicking repeatedly on their right sides make the controls more sensitive, while clicking on the left makes them less so. You may hold the mouse button down for continuous movement. Don't be thrown by that arrow and the "sensitivity increase" label in relation to the mouse points. Think of the mouse points as where you would initially place your finger to rotate the wheel in the desired direction. Practice using the wheels in conjunction with the "RUD", "AIL", and "ELE" knobs to fine tune your control. Anyone can set digital readouts and push lighted buttons on a modern AP -- but it takes a virtuoso to master the Sperry's wheels and knobs to make the Douglas do your bidding!Arne also provided a copy of the relevant pages from a vintage manual sent to him by Danny Hecht. (see the manual for these, Jaeg)MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

Guest jaeger1952

Mark,Of course you're right! How inconsiderate of me to not even bother looking through Mr. Rambow's comprehensive manual before taking the lazy man's approach of posting a question here.Thank you for your kind response/reminder.Jaeg-

Guest ghrasko

Hi,I read the r4d_man.pdf (12.08.2004) about the autopilot and it is quite familiar to me as the Antonov An24RV autopilot work rathr similar. However I could not really figure out how to make a coordinated turn using the autopilot. It seems for me that if I use only the rudder control (gyro), then it really uses the rudder only, thus performing a very uncoordinated (slipped) turn. Am I correct to say that it is not intended to help that operation at all? I.e. it is only to keep actual (!) heading, bank and pitch?If this is true it means I have to disengage the AP; make the turn manually, trim the plane and engage the AP again.It is suggested by the manual on page 64 in a grey box with DONT'S saying:"Don't make turns or changes in altitude with autopilot engaged"Does this mean also that I can not manage a steady pitch climb or descend with the AP, but only horizontal flight? This seems to be unrealistic for me.I use FS2004.---Just for a comparison: The An24 has a similar (?) type of AP that is managing pitch and/or bank and it uses trimming for that. It also has two more advanced feature: 1/ keep altitude (more than keeping pitch) and 2/ turning to the direction set on the direction gyro using coordinated turn. If I understand correctly there is in fact less similarity as I believed earlier, as DC3 AP is not using trims for that. It is not even maintaining the pitch, but the angle of elevator only ?!?It seems that the DC3 AP is less advanced than that of the AN24's one. It is not a pejorative statement - I love playing with these old aircrafts and equipment. Gabor

Hi Gabor,In general the Sperry is for "constant direction" flight only. If you want to turn or adjust altitude, disconnect the Sperry, make the turn or altitude adjustment, adjust the heading or elevator dial and reconnect the Sperry.That being said, you can "cheat" and gradually adjust the heading gauge to turn or adjust the elevator dial to "trim", climb or descend, but these will all be a bit "jerky". For minor changes you'd be all right, but none of it would really constitute a "coordinated turn" !I've been flying the DC-3/R4D/C-47 since FS98 and the Sperry does work as a "workload relief" tool or when you want to hand over to the co-pilot and "go outside" to watch the plane in Spot View .......I'm sure the dedicated users would be appalled, but there you go !Cheers,Alastair

Guest ghrasko
In general the Sperry is for "constant direction" flight only.
Thanks, I am absolutely fine with this. In fact using FMCs and full AP in simulation is not my world. My only problem was that I had not been sure and I tried to look for something that did not exist.The only thing I do not understand is why it can not (or not recommended) be used for steady descend of climb? I just downloaded a nice document about the internal mechanism of the Sperry AP. Maybe I will understand that from there:http://pantonov.com/thoughts/assen_jordano...y_autopilot.htmGabor