Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

19" LCD Monitor for Flight Sim

Is anyone using a 19" LCD Monitor for FS2004? I would be interested in the Make, model and your comments.I am considering the Benq FP991ThanksAndrew.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi Andrew,I've just bought a LG 1811S (18.1"). This is my first TFT after years of 19" CRTs. I'm impressed with the sharpness and geometry and being able to move it without employing the local muscle boys to assist. On the downside the lack of true black is a pity especially with night flights. Overall though there are more plusses than minuses.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

As the refresh on the 19" LCD monitors is at best 25ms do you get any ghosting using FS2004?Andrew.

Andrew,I haven't noticed any so far. If it concerns you then consider a 17" TFT as the better ones (Iiyama for example) have a 16ms response time. Most of the 18"+ displays have 25ms and it would be difficult and expensive to get this down.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Andrew,First, shock, horror, my friend Ray has moved from CRT to TFT, what next ;-)I have recently purchased a 17 inch Image Quest (Hyundai) to replace a 19 inch CRT.A while ago tomshardware.com did a comparison test on a number of TFT screens and the Hyundai came out top although they did have some minor complaints.That site also did a technical article on refresh rates which basically concluded that most of the figures are hype and cannot be relied upon.I find the TFT much sharper than the Compaq 19 inch CRT and more contrast in the image.I have no smearing whatsoever, about the only negative is that the 'jaggies' seem more pronounced so would like to run 2x AA but of course that screws up FS menus and FSNav. 4x AA cures those problems but for me that is too much as it seems to adversely affect the ground mesh.I am sure you are aware that TFT's have an inherent resolution which they work best at (mine is 1280x1024) and a refresh rate of around 60Hz but I don't think that is an issue. Also remember that a 17 inch TFT is a similar screen size to a 19 inch CRT.The Image Quest Q17 I have has both analog and digital input, I am using it with a digital input but have no idea if there is any difference between the two as I have not tried the analog input.One big bonus, as Ray pointed out, is you no longer need a hernia operation when moving a 17 inch TFT as you would with a 19 inch CRT :-lolHTH

Guest SoarPics

I just bought a 19" Samsung 191t. I like it alot. Vibrant color and no ghosting in FS9. I'm running it on a 9700 Pro through the included DVI cable. I tried it first with the standard cable, but did see ghosting with that.My only complaint is the refresh rate. And I'm not sure it's the monitor's fault... I believe it's video drivers. I can't run the sim at anything above 60Hz. The card and monitor are both supposed to support 75Hz, but if I set it at anything above 60 I get occasional screen flickers that last 1-2 seconds. Very annoying. I use the Omega drivers and will await his next installment to see if that resolves my problem.Overall I'm quite impressed with the monitor. Great picture, great colors, and all in a 6Kg package. Much lighter than my previous 19" Sony CRT.

>I can't run the sim at anything above 60Hz. The card and monitor are both supposed to support 75Hz,

Guest SoarPics

"Greg, check the documentation that came with your monitor."I wish any kind of documentation came with the thing!!! Nothing, nada, zip. I had to d/l the drivers from the Samsung website... not even a floppy disc with the monitor. The install docs covered only "plug this cable here, that cable there, adjust color this way, etc."I didn't think about the digital versus analog cables. I'll give that a try and test it for a couple days to see if I can raise the refresh rate AND not suffer the screen blanking.Thanks Vulcan,

Hi , all.If you plug the DVI cable, the refresh is 60 HZ . If you do it with analog cable, then you can select 60,72,75 or whatever refresh your display supports.I think that with DVI cable the monitor shows its best, looking at the fonts you

I am currently using a Hitachi 17" with 16ms response and a Benq 15" with 20ms. The reason behind me questions is that I am consider moving the 17" over to the 15" (AS2004, SB, etc) and using the 19" for FS2004. My concern is that the 17" Hitachi may be better than any 19" LCD. I would hate to shell out for a 19" LCD only to find that I use it for other that what I intended. Your thoughts.Andrew.PS You can buy a most 19" LCD monitors in Sydney for around AU$1000

Two weeks ago I got a 19' Multisonic T19DS.Last week I was so satisfied that I got a second one.They are both connected on my FX5950 card and have experienced no problems at all.They were the cheapest I could find ~740 Euros each.I run them at 1280x1024x32 75HzKyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vateud.org/images/vatsim-eurs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Hi Dave,Because this thread has been moved by the moderator I didn't get advised when new posts were made - hence my delay in replying.<>Running in full-screen mode perhaps? ;-) After telling everyone that FS is best in windowed mode I now find that because of my own setup full-screen mode is fine. If you're running a lot of apps on a single machine then switching is a pain in full-screen mode. as I only run Fs2004 on my new machine there are no other apps so full-screen mode gets rid of the title bar. I run Project Magenta on two CRTs via my second machine and the proper black display is great! TFTs have some way to go before they match CRTs completely although they have made great advances.On the subjectof refresh rates my LG1811S only has a analogue input so I'm running at 75Hz. No flickering of course as TFTs work on a completely different principle than CRTs. The differences between image quality with digital and analogue inputs have also been reduced to imperceptible levels with the latest models and it's no longer necessary to have a DVI input for the best quality. I certainly have no problems with the image sharpness.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest TerryT

It is good to hear that the LCDs with the digital inputs do not have that sickening flicker at 60Hz like the CRTs. I wonder how they get away with that? I guess the pixels are not put up in sequence like the old CRTs starting at the top of the screen and working down to the bottom.Terry