Sign in to follow this  
KERNEL32

Anyone use flat screen for FS?

I was wondering if anyone is currently using a flat screen monitor for flying and if the "latency" is an issue or has that problem been nullified by advancing technology?I was reading the article below but it is not dated (at least no where I could see)...so not sure if they make the flat screen refresh rates "faster" these days where it isn't noticible while flying?http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/iss...gs_to_know.mspxThanks for anyone who can answer! I am very interested in upgrading to the flat screens because they are so much clearer/brighter.

Guest Ken_Salter

I do. I recently bought a Xerox XG-700 and I am very happy with it.I play Doom3 with it and notice no problems, as well as MSFS.

Guest danowat

Yep, I use a 19" LG Flat panel, top notch piece of kit, works like a dream in FS.Dan.

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

i just bought a samsung 173t and love it no issues hereshane

I've had a 17 inch Hyundai TFT for a while and no problems with latency. I don't think any of the modern TFTs suffer any more, unless you buy a really cheap one I suppose.Only thing I do notice and that is with no AA the jaggies seem to stand out more, maybe because of higher contrast.

17" Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 (20ms recovery time) here and it is a great performer with no noticeable smearing during fast action.Only 'problem' with LCD TFTs is with their failure to render true black. However, you only really notice this if you fly with the room lights out. With normal ambient lighting the blacks appear fine for the most part.Mike

Guest derrfly

Check out this new Sony flat sceen, best color and responce time (12ms) I've ever seen! for a 19" flat screen. This monitor is available thru Sony and many electronics stores.Make sure it's this years model (Model:SDM-HS94P/:(, last years product had very slow performence The Link: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....PanelLCDs_18%22I don't work for Sony, a freind bought one last week and I was very impressed with the output!

Guest adrianc

I was running a Philips 107P which has a flat trinitron screen and it was great. (Well you didn't specify what type of flat screen):-) Seriously though, I now have a BenQ FP767-12 TFT monitor and I've noticed no problems with latency and the image is brighter. The latency was the thing I was concerned about before I bought it and did a fair bit of research on the net. One thing I read in a number of reviews was that the rated refresh time (ie 12ms, 16ms, 20ms) isn't necessarily a good indication of how well the monitor performs. Some of the 20ms ones can be just as good as the supposed 12ms rated ones.Although mine is rated at 12ms that wasn't the main reason for choosing it. It did come up well in the reviews and was within my budget.Flight Sim is the only "game" software I run so I can't comment on how well it performs in other types of games.RegardsAdrian

Guest kingairvols

I followed the link you supplied and got this message,"The requested product is no longer available"Anyway how much did you friend end up paying (ballpark please) if you dont mind sharring.Thanks.

Guest derrfly

Paste the complete link into your browser, then it will workThe pice is $849.99 with a $100.00 mail-in rebate=$749.99BTW...this new screen is much brighter and has more contrast then the other TFT displays that were at Fry's Electronics...better looking too

I use the Dell 17' flat screen and I am very satisfied with the results.Roger

Roger

See my specs in my profile

HelloInterestingly I have just this week obtained a TFT monitor, it is a benQ FP991 which is near top of range obtainable today.Some points I have already discovered: The native resolution is 1280x1024 (like all or most TFTs)and any other setting of the graphics card degrades the image. This leads to a problem with FS9's aspect ratio when using full screen insofar as the panels use a ratio of 1.33:1 and the monitor cannot be changed from 1.25:1 and we are left with elliptical gauges which should be circular. My solution which is not very satisfactory is to use "windowed" mode and crop the window to give the correct aspect ratio. It would be possible to modify panels using FS Panel studio but then windowed mode would present a few problems and anyhow I couldn't face the task of modifying all my panels.Otherwise the image is absolutely crisp and clear and I have not as yet noticed any other negatives.Will post again after I have more experience.ken ellis