Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shep

NEW ATI card tool

Guest Shep

CamiloAny idea of his system spec as we may find a common denominator if folk, who have problems say exactly what PC spec, ATI basic drivers or full version with CATALYST Control Center, what they may have running in the background and anything else that may point to what is causing incompatibility. I have the basic ATI drivers and use ATITool 0.24 to O/C my card.I'm glad to see Keith has found a way to fix his problem.Shep

Thanks for the step-by-step Keith.However I think I will pass on the mod for the moment.When I saw the explanation and effect of the mod I had similar thoughts to Paul, i.e. it makes the ATi cards behave as the NVIDIA ones on AA, with the associated drop in FPS.Thanks for confirming the effect Paul.

Guest camilo

Shep,He's running this specs:XP PRO with SP2FS9.1INTEL D865GBFCPU Prescott 3.21 gig ram corsairCatalyst 5.6 only with the control panel (on my previous post I said 5.8, my mistake)Ati Tray Tools only for setting AA and AF and then closed.Hope that helps.Thanks.

Hi,I just tried it using my trusty old 9700pro and it seems to work great. This is a cool fix... we get ATI image quality with nvidia image stability.Looks like i'll be sticking with ATI for a while longer.Paul

Guest PaulL01

What are your settings for FS/settings/display/mipmaping? Anything more than 4 and you are asking for shimering as pixels then have to fight for the same space on the disply and they will pop in and out>shimmer.as well as your display driver settings? I have always gotton rock solid image quality from GF2/GF3/GF4/GF6 there has been some shimmering problem with the GF7 however they were fixed right quick with new drivers from NV.

Guest Keith Sebastian

An undesired side effect of this mod would be lesser FPS in very cloudy skies due to AA being applied to cloud textures. Can anybody benchmark and report an performance differences? I've got my hands full (work related, overseas trip) and might not get FS time for a month or more. I'd appreciate any before/after benchmarks especialy with FE clouds. Peter Wilding from FE reports that there's no adverse effect, but apparently he isn't using a dated 9800 Pro like me.Cheers,Keith

Hi Keith,"a dated 9800 Pro like me".....Hey, I'm a member of the 'dated' 9800 Pro club and proud of it! :) I've used this card since shortly after its release and it has always performed superbly. In FS9 I normally run AAx6 and AFx16 forced with Mipmapping slider at 4 and have just applied the Alpha-test override tool and can honestly say I haven't noted much difference, if any, in general smoothness of performance (note I don't refer to fps). Image quality has always been very good, but this tweak seems to add a certain subtle something which makes it seem even more real to me.Scenery complexity - very denseAutogen - denseView distance - 30 milesClouds (ASV) 256x256 (Mips enabled), Draw distance - 40 miles, 3D 100%, Coverage density - maximumObviously the more you ask of the sim the more of a hit you will experience. That hasn't changed. It's all a question of balance. I reckon my P4 2.4 / 9800 Pro partnership is a nice combo and doubt whether upgrading my Radeon will produce much difference in performance as I suspect it is underdriven with my current CPU which is the main bottleneck. I tend to fly mostly in scenery areas that are not too taxing, but are interesting and beautiful nonetheless, so frame rates tend to be at or near 28fps where I usually have it locked. This can drop significantly to the low teens with heavy overcast but, again, that has always been the case.Overall I am very pleased with this tweak. I had just assumed, like the rest of us, that the shimmering was here to stay. Just goes to show we shouldn't take anything for granted.As you can see from my specs below they are far from being the latest and greatest but FS9, Falcon4, IL2, LockOn and RealFlight G2 all work well. Same can be said for HL2, Doom3, X2-The Threat and several Astronomy packages/simulations. So, can't see much justification for upgrading.....yet;)Cheers!MikeP4 2.4GHz (400FSB), 1Gig PC2100 DDR Crucial, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Omega 2.6.53 / Catalyst 5.7), SB Audigy (5.12.0001.0443), Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 17" TFT LCD 20ms Monitor (1280x1024x32), Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo, Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 (160GB) + IBM Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 (40 GB), Ultra-Quiet PSU 400W, Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse, WinXP Home (SP2), DirectX 9.0c, AGP Aperture = 128MB

Thanks Paul but my mipmaps is at 4 rivatuner at + 0.4 to reduce the shimmer :( yep turn down the quality a blur...As for AA it's not what should expect from 6800GT ;-)See movie all the tweaks done...Andr

André

>What are your settings for FS/settings/display/mipmaping? >>Anything more than 4 and you are asking for shimering as>pixels then have to fight for the same space on the disply and>they will pop in and out>shimmer.>>as well as your display driver settings? I have always gotton>rock solid image quality from GF2/GF3/GF4/GF6 there has been>some shimmering problem with the GF7 however they were fixed>right quick with new drivers from NV.Whooo Paul did I scared you with my reply :-lol:-lol:-lolAndr

André

Nice find - thanks! Problem is that it screws up my water textures when viewed from the 2D cockpit. Hardware========Dell XPS Gen 43.20 GHz Intel Pentium 4Board: Dell Inc. 0U7084 Bus Clock: 800 megahertz1 Gig DDR2 SDRAM80 Gig SATA HD (NTFS Format)ATI Radeon X850XT PE 256 (Catalyst 5.8)Logitech Extreme3D Pro Joystick2/19" CRT MonitorsApplications Used with FS9.1============================Windows XP Pro SP2 (build 2600)FS9.1FSAutoStartAS 2004.5Ultimate Terrain USA/Canada/AlaskaUltimate TrafficAISmoothFSEconomyGraphics Card Direct3D Settings===============================AA 4X (Temporal On)AF 16XMipMap - QualityTexture Preference - QualityVertical Sync - OffSupport DXT Textures - On

Guest baksteen33

Hi Shep, I was going to give up on win2000 but curiousity kills the cat... :-) Since yesterday, even win2000 benefits from the fix and FS looks pretty impressive. A pointer in the main FS forum's thread was the key to success and I hardly ever used a Control Center Catalyst in the past. Installing the Catalyst v.5.9 (CCC-version) and MS DotNet did the trick. I'm sure it will also work with previous CCC Catalysts but that's the one up and running now. After a bit of experimenting, I also added a value of '4' into the MSAA-line in the 'ini'. Thanks again for this almost revolutionary find, Shep Kind regards Jaap

Dropped the two DXOverride files (.dll and .ini) into my FS9 directory and then found FS9 wouldn't start. Might I need to edit the ini file? If so, does anyone know what changes I would need to make and why??Thanks allGarethLEAL

Guest baksteen33

Hi Odaat, the water texture screw-up in the 2D cockpit can be eliminted by pressing shift+Z. An explination why this helps is beyond me, but it works. Funny enough, it only happens in the forward view and the other ones are unaffected. Hope this helps, good luck and kind regards Jaap