I posted this in the hardware section, but seems everybody is talking about video card issues in the general discussion forum. I will be buying a new computer within the next few weeks, and I need to know what video card to get. I won't have alot of money to dish out right now for the video card (around $200.00 max $250.00), so I need something that will run decently on the system that I will be buying. My other problem is I don't want to get a video card that I will be having problems with such as black boxes in the scenery or "AA" issues due to driver problems. I have read different forums where people have tossed their NVIDIA cards for ATI. Any recommendations will be helpful. Thanks J.R. DudaNew SystemAMD Athlon 3800+ (if not AM2 series)2 GB DDR(2) Ram ASUS SLI MB

i recently upgraded my system with a Geforce 7900GT .. very good card with a reasonable price .. i run it on a AMD 3800+ X2 processor with 1 gig ram, and i get very good framerates with all addons i have (pmdg 737 & 747, lds 767)Jan

Black boxes in the scenery??? Keep in mind that nVidia and ATI handle AA differently in FS. I have usd both and my findings are that I get better performance with ATI and slightly better IQ with nVidia. My prference is ATI and I am running a 850XTPE 256 in my gaming rig and a 9800 pro in my design rig, both work great. Check here for card priceshttp://www.pricewatch.com/video%5Fcards/Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/tfbeta.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

I faced the exact same dilemma a few weeks ago while upgrading my system and I chose nVidia. ATI doesn't really have a lot of attractive and affordable cards out there at the moment, except for the X1800XT, which is just too expensive compared to the nVidia boards.I read a lot of articles and compared way too many benchmarks, before I decided. I currently have a 7600GT and I couldn't be happier. No artifacts, no AA problems.

Guest VenDexter

Since you are going to be installing an SLI mobo it would definitely be wise to go with an nVidia card since it will be the most compatible with the mobo. Even if you're not going to be running SLI currently it will give the option to do so down the line and you won't have to dish out the money for 2 GPU's at the same time.I've used both nVidia and ATI cards. They both are very good but I think that an nVidia card with an nForce mobo will be the most trouble free and expandable.Steve

Guest Kingair315

As MS uses NVIDIA cards on the machines they use to create the FS, Ive always felt it best to use them. The only time Ive ever had problems with the FS, was due to using ATI. Bought a new computer, and the dealer insisted that the users he had sold computers to, had complained about using Nvidia with the FS. Sooo, let him put the ATI card in. Then, I had many problems. HE replaces one component after another, blaming various things for the problem, everything except the ATI card. (He was bound he was going to prove he was correct.) Eventually, before he gave up and replaced the ATI card, he even replaced the motherboard. FInally, after replacing the ATI card, the problems disappeared. It may have been that particular card, and I dont recall which one it was, just having to haul the computer in weekly for about 3 months, before he changed it.

I had the same experience with TWO different ATI Radeon 9700 Pro cards. Many lockups and issues throughout its entire 2y service life in several games. Then I bought this nV 6800 GT OC. Zero problems in any program, fine IQ and performance.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest ziporama

Wow, anybody have a coin :)ATI used to have major problems with drivers, and NVidia seems to have caught up nicely. I've over the years moved back and forth between the two, and been very happy generally.SLI is more mature than CrossFire in terms of technology. ATI cards ten d to run hotter than NVidia, but they make excellent hardware altogether.I'd go with NVidia right now for dual rig setup just because today (not next week :).Towards the end of the year, I'd probably go ATI because of the stuff they have in the pipeline.

I have used ATI since the 9700 came out but I will be returning to Nvidia because you cannot run the highest resolutions in full screen mode on the Matrox triple head set up using ATI cards.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs