Sign in to follow this  
Manny

FSX and 8800GTX - Blurries still a problem for me.

OK.. I am pretty much giving up on blurries.I have Megascenary So Cal in FSX (Its FS9 megascenery in FSX). This is a good test setting for checking out blurries I would think.The 8800GTX has 737MB Video Memory...and FSX has not consumed more than 306MB at its peak.Because of the 8800GTX, FSX consumes less of the main memory. I have 2Gigs and it has consumed 1.4Gigs at its peak.I have 2 X 150G Raptors in RAID 0. And its not the HARD disk thats the issue. This sucker is fast.I have the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.75.Because of photoscenery I have the Autogens turned to 0. and Blooms off, everything else pretty much to the right. And I get FPS 25 running on my 24" Widescreen monitor which is pretty good.I am flying at 10,000feet at 200-210 kts...and Blurries galore.MannySystem Core 2 Du E6600 OC to 3.3Gigs.nVidea 8800GTX 737MB2 Gig RAM10K Raptors in RAID 0.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Manny,Sorry to hear that.If I had your rig with blurries, I would be VERY unhappy!I have no solutions for you though I'm afraid.Glenn

Manny I think FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.75 should be way less than .33 to reduce the blurries and over .33 to improve fps a which results in increased blurries; I understand that .33 is the default levelNigelVancouver

Less than .33 will increase FPS at the expense of more blurries.If you are trying to cure the blurries, .33 and higher is the way to go.Glenn

I don't understand HOW in the world you are getting blurries manny.I mean, on my little ol system, I don't get any blurries unless I slew too fast, which I expect that. But in regular flying, none. Grant you, I haven't taken an SR-71 on a NOE (nap of earth) cruise yet. Maybe that would do it. I use FIBER_FRAME at the default value (0.33).Maybe you could post a screen of these blurries?I would not be happy if I had your hardware, and I was getting blurries in normal flying conditions.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Here is the image. Lets see if we can read the stuff to the right.ttp://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blurrieswh4.jpgCut and paste that link..Except add an H to the front.Remember, during the first demo...many people complained that when they go to St. Princess Island..it looks like is is flooded...All they see is ocean with trees and houses floating in the water? I get that..every time I load one of my flight. And then when I reset the flight it becomes ok. Thats another issue. I have now.

Manny

I changed it to .20 and it seems better than .75But I still have the blurries.So I am totally confused now. The places behind me are looking good but just ahead of me its blurred and after I pass it, it would be good behind me. But blurries ahead of me. not good at all.:)Manny

Manny

Don't have any idea on cause of your problems, but I don't think I would use FS9 mega for my testing. FSX uses a new scheme where the textures at multiple resolutions are compressed within the bgl file. That doesn't seem to me to be the real cause of the problem, but I think FSX scenery should be used to eliminate possible unknowns.scott s..

Scott,you may have a point there.If I fly the same route in FS9, The texture refresh is much better. Even if I fly at 350Kts, the system tries to refresh textures in front of me to keep up with me...and it does a fairly good job. Flying at 150kts, its fine. So..the extra memory or the fast GPU certainly helps in FS9.For FSX it doesent. I hope.. the blurries are because of the FS9 textures and not because of some issues in FSX. Manny

Manny

FYI: the 8800GTX has 768Mb of GDDR3 RAM.Now on to the issue at hand... Have you enabled trilinear filtering in FSX? If not, give it a try. Also make sure your 3D setting in the cards control panel are set correctly.Something looks clearly wrong in that screenshot...Here's one I just took with my 8800GTX at roughly 9,500ft above Vancouver. (add the "H")ttp://img164.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=59148_Groundshot_122_347lo.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Yeah.. you are right on the card memory. The memStatus shows me 737MB available.. hence I used that number.About that image. Mine is not the FSX textures you are seeing. Its Megascenery for FS9 textrures that I am using within FSX. But shall try tweaking the Card Paramaters. This one seems to have a whole bunch of stuff that I am clueless about...For now. I'll shall play with it and report back.Manny

Manny

Guest navav2002

Manny..Here are my settings on the 93.71 drivers...Granted...Your card and mine are totally different...But this may be a decent starting point for you then you could tweek from there...I personally make these changes under the FlightSim's *Profile*...That way my Global settings are not effected..With the nVidia 93.71's (Stock Version)...There is both a FS9 and FSX profile avalible...Then those settings will be applied when you click on the respective .exe...To get to the profiles(New Control Panel)...Open the NVIDIA Control Panel..(Right click on blank space on desktop..Select NVIDIA Control Panel from drop down menu)The first window that will open is "Select a Category..."If this is your first time opening(or you havn't done it yet)...Look in the toolbar area for "Standard View"...Click the arrow next to it and change to "Advanced View"...Now click on "3D Settings"Then select "Manage 3D settings"You will see a couple of tabs on the Manage 3D Settings page...Click on the "Program Settings" tab...In the Upper window (1. Select a program to override)...Scroll down until you see MS Flight Simulator 2004 or MS Flight Simulator X...Now Highlight whichever one you want to tweek...You'll notice the lower window(2) will change to "Specify the settings for MS Flight Simulator X:" ...Here is where you'll plug in your settings and do your tweeking...*Be sure to click the "Apply" button upon making the changes or they will not save*...Once you've made your adjustments...And clicked Apply...You can check out FS...Typically...If I'm doing some experimenting...I'll just leave the driver window open so I can easily go back and tweek some more...Just remember to click "Apply" after making the changes!!Here are my current settings as mentioned above..New Control Panel:Anisotropic filtering: 16xAnisotropic mip filter optimization: OnAnisotropic sample optimization: OffAntialiasing settings: 8xSConformal texrure clamp: Use HardwareError reporting: OffExtension limit: OffForce mipmaps: TrilinearGamma correct antialiasing: OnHardware acceleration: Single display performance modeNegative LOD bias: ClampTexture Filtering: QualityThreaded optimization: AutoTransparency antialiasing: SupersamplingTriliner optimization: OnTriple buffering: OffSLI performance mode: NVIDIA recommended (SLI)Vertical sync: Force offHave Fun!!

Hi GlennJust checked and you are right! Sorry for misleading people. Maybe I had better go look at my own settings again - I have it set at .20 so now presume I need to raise it higher to reduce the blurries.Nigel

Hey Chuck... Long time no see. Good to hear from you.Yeah..I'll check the setting that you have there. Thanks a lot.I've become a regular geek. :(Not that there is anything wrong with it. :)Manny

Manny

Guest allcott

Actually, I think you may have discovered a problem with porting scenery textures over from FS9 to the `new` FSX engine. As was stated earlier, the textures are applied in a slightly different way, presumably to accommodate the much higher resolutions possible and I suspect that photoscenery textures may not be entirely compatible with FSX in their current format. First, I would verify precisely what the resolution those textures are rendered at - 5m per pixel is a number that jumps into my head, but I don't have megascenery. If that is the case then trying to set the in-game resolution to anything higher than 5m is going to cause blurring. Simple as that. Unless and until photo textures are adapted to work specifically with FSX I wouldn't use them. There is a reason that the default photoscenery textures tha worked perfectly with FS9 were `accidentally` left out of FSX by the developers!Allcott