Sign in to follow this  
irocx

?'s for 8800GT Owners

Hi again, With the eminent release of Nvidia's latest VC's there seems to be some downward movement in prices and availibility of the 8800GT's and I am getting ready to buy. I am also leaning toward the 8800GTS 512 G92, which I can have for about 40 bucks more (now about 285 shipped).Right now, my x800xt (other specs listed in 1st sig)doesn't run FSX all that poorly with dual monitors, high resolution, 60% WOAI-10% vehicles, scenery complexity and LOD radius and global texture maxed, dense autogen, 1m textures and 1x water. In the air I'm fine, at the majors I drop to 13-17 (just departed KTEB and avg'd about 14-15 on the ground). What I'm wondering is whether you all still experience the flashing of clouds, visibility and other textures with these boards? After SP2 I also get black squares popping when lights are displayed, does it happen to you? I was thinking of picking up a 7800-7900 GTX for half the price of a 8800GT (see Tom's VGA chart for comparisons)and putting the balance into a better CPU, which seems to make all the difference in MSFS. I hate the idea of dumping $200 or more into a 8800GT and finding out I still can't use bloom and run more complex sceneries and aircraft. If that's the case maybe I'll sit this one out and wait for FS11. FSX would be a decent sim if not for all the PIA stuff that goes along with the FR struggle (i.e.the texture flashing, atc window changes etc). Any thoughts or comment are welcome and appreciated.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

My 8800 GT works flawlessly with nHancer settings. But, I do experience black shimmering of airport buildings when I get close to them. That's all. It's a great card, with a better price/performance ratio than the 8800 GTS 512.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

KendallI just upgraded to your cpu, motherboard with 1333 fsb and the 8800gt. Much the same performance as you are getting. From what I read here, you need the best cpu you can afford and atleast a 8800 series card. BTW, I have never been able to get nhancer or nVidia control panel to work, so I always used in-game settings. Must have done something because about a week ago in-game AA stopped working but now nVidia control panel works great. Plus I always use the latest drivers, but haven't updated sense December. Can't spend any more money on this computer or my wife will shoot me. good luck.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

>I just upgraded to your cpu, motherboard with 1333 fsb and the>8800gt. Much the same performance as you are getting. From>what I read here, you need the best cpu you can afford and>atleast a 8800 series card. BTW, I have never been able to get>nhancer or nVidia control panel to work, so I always used>in-game settings. Must have done something because about a>week ago in-game AA stopped working but now nVidia control>panel works great. Plus I always use the latest drivers, but>haven't updated sense December. Can't spend any more money on>this computer or my wife will shoot me. good luck.>>BobHey Bob, Yikes, you should be double my frames when comparing VC's. I know what you mean regarding the better half but in my situation it's "my turn" for awile..... @-@ I have been all set to "finalize" my rig with an 8800GT and would have been set had I not been hosed by Dell on one back in November.At this point in the timing game I might just wait a bit more and see what turns up and let prices fall - got some add-ons to hopefully purchase yet. I like the 8800GTS because it's better @ higher resolutions. Still, I also know CPU is king when it comes to MSFS, so I guess I will do some more reading on what's on the horizon on that front (according to Sam and the others here, nothing spectacular.) Thanks to you both for the replies.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

OK, I just did a test. I sat on the runway at kteb in a default plane in VC. I run about 50% airline and GA traffic. But I have no other addons so hard to say if that helps. The only issue I have is the DX10 taxiway problems others have noted. On the ground at KTEB I got 25 fps. Scenery slidders all maxed. No lens flare or bloom. Good luck.Bob

Bob

Hi Bob, Funny, you must have been in the process of posting while I was ordering an 8800GT. I got the EVGA (not the OC'd) and Newegg gave me a credit for a rebate I didn't get on my CPU cooler (gotta love the 'egg) - $214 shipped. Still was thinking about that 8800GTS G92 because they run cooler, but will save the xtra $55 for some add-on.I run almost the same FSX as you (sliders a tad less) and was gettin about 40% less FPS @ TEB, so it looks like a good buy, for now. Thanks again for your input!Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Well, got the board installed with the latest drivers and can't say I'm all that impressed over my x8800xt - yet anyway. I might need some driver changes or something, but outside of better image quality, my frames haven't increased all that much - maybe 3-4 tops. Clouds seem to eat this board alive, but I am using some of the posted AA/AF settings with Nhancer and that could explain it with a larger resolution. I remember reading where Nvidia had problems with clouds as it applied AA/AF to them where ATI didn't. Oh well, we'll have to keep plugging away. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

KendallAin't life just swell, sometimes. Been waiting to hear how your new card is working out, so thanx for posting. Sorry it hasn't been swell so far. I must say that my own FSX performance has only inched up with each upgrade. I would get a new cpu or gpu, run a 3dmark test, get a much better score, only to be shot down by FSX. Not just shot down, but vaporized. Runs OK, but like everyone else, I wish it were better. Thats why I'm glad we are all here to help each other out. In my P4,XP box I have an ati 9550. In my vista celeron I had a 7300gt. Fs9 performance was the same on both, but image quality, to me anyway, was better on the nvidia card. That is why I upgraded the vista machine. First to an E4400 with a 7900gs, then the E6750 and the 8800gt. BTW you can thank me for the price you got on your card. I waited and waited to buy. Right after I bought my cpu, it was discontinued and the 8400 type came out at the same price. Right after I paid the full $290 for the 8800, the price dropped. HMMMMM, I bought my first house a couple years ago and now the housing market has tanked, am I good or bad for the economy.Now I'm trying to figure out how to get all the stuff I took out of the vista box to run in the xp box.Keep us posted on you progress.

Bob