Sign in to follow this  
Guest JackDanielsDrinker

UltimateDefrag 2008 is coming

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Just wanted to pass this on...I know some of you use this product. Lots of changes and more performance.http://disktrix.com/ud2008.htmShould be out in mid April.

Guest JeanLuc_

Funny: the mainpage screenshot shows defragmenting a Mega Scenery BGL file :)

Guest firehawk44

"Funny: the mainpage screenshot shows defragmenting a Mega Scenery BGL file :)"Good defrag program! The President of PC Aviator and MegaScenery fame also developed Ultimate Defrag so having a MegaScenery bgl on the main page would not be out of place. One of the best defrag programs for FSX/FS9 IMHO.Best regards,Jim

I'll vouch for that too.They use Flightsim as their benchmark and are extremely helpful in support.For those who don't know - Ultimate Defrag will place all your most valued files (FS(/FSX) on the outside of the hard drive close to the MFT for quicker readability, thus giving you faster FPS.No other defragger has this option!

Dave Taylor gb.png

<>It won't improve the frame rate but scenery load times should decrease. All defrag programs should do this. I might dump DiskKeeper if this does the job better.Is it a per user licence or is one purchase required for each PC?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just a little hint they mentioned on their page which I used to save some money What If I Recently Purchased UltimateDefrag?At the time we release UltimateDefrag 2008, all people who purchased the product in the last 90 days will be entitled to a FREE upgrade to UltimateDefrag 2008.I Don't Currently Own UltimateDefrag.. Should I Buy The Current Version Now Or Wait?If you buy the current version now, you get to enjoy 3 benefits. Firstly, you'll save 25% off the regular price. Secondly you'll get UltimateDefrag 2008 upgrade absolutely FREE of charge, and thirdly you get to use the program right now.So you can enjoy what the current version of UltimateDefrag has to offer right now, save 25%, and enjoy a FREE upgrade to 2008.To save that 25% right now on the current version, simply click here, and once you have added the item to your cart, enter the code UD25 into the Priority Code field just above your final total.go to this page to find the links http://www.disktrix.com/ud2008.htmKind RegardsGreg

Try it Ray, its free for evaluation.BTW I am no way a rep for them just someone who believes credit is due for good products, rather like Radar Contact ;)In fact I'm retired now.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hi Greg,Thanks for the additional info. It does look interesting but it makes no mention of whether you need one licence for each PC you're going to run it on.Given that I have 3 PCs I would be a bit peeved if the copy I bought was tied to that PC. Are you or anyone else running your bought copy on two PCs or more?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I will Dave, thanks. And I can see you have impeccable taste in software ;-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

So I am playing with the trial version on my test box. Perhaps someone can let me know the best way to use this for FS.I assume that you use the folder name method and then select the Windows directory and then your entire FS directory under the high performance file options. Do you put FS as the top directory?Thanks in advance,-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Paul the first step I'd do with UltimateDefrag vis a vis FS, would be to do a "consolidate" defrag.Then you can move on to other methods after the initial consolidation.I suggest you search this hardware forum for a GOOD thread on the best way to use UltimateDefrag with FS.I mention searching, because I can't quite remember what the recommendation was, and I don't want to tell you bad information. I think it was defrag by name, yes, but find the old thread.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Ray and other readersthis is the info I see when I follow the add to cart on there siteSave 50% when you purchase this now along with UltimateDefrag V1 Instant Download Version. Save 50% off a second license for an additional PCUltimateDefrag V1 Additional License $19.98 instead of $39.95As far as organizing the disk with its many options, well I'm still experimenting but in the main options I selected respect layout iniand then custom selected high performance files which in my case were portions of FSX directories which I would like to place at the fastest parts of the drive Also High performance 60% and under archive 25 % and fast archival ticked as well as respect layout.ini . In the end I just really made sure that my FSX directory structure was getting the attention it deserved at the outer part of my drive . Maybe others have a better or different method but I figured with todays large hard drives theres a reasonable junk of really high speed storage on the outer disk hopefully enough for your favorite files before the performance curve drops away you can get a glimpse of this if you download HDtach fromhttp://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index...?request=HdTach and that will show you where and how fast the transfers are on your drivesIf anyone has other suggestions for better options of Ultimatedefrag I'd like to here what you have any way if toy download there trial and get the link in your email from them the pdf manual is very detailed heres just the little bit from there manual on gaming setupSuitable Method For A Gaming ComputerTo obtain the best performance for a typical computer used only for gaming, we suggest a routine such as this whenever you want to perform it.Archive:

Hi Greg,<>Thanks for that. I feel a little disgruntled I have to pay to use it on a second PC. If I had five drives on a single PC I wouldn't need a second licence but three drives on two requires a second licence. :-(In any case I'm considering whether this is worthwhile for me. I already have FSX on a separate HD to XP and as it's the first partition letter (of two) it will already occupy the outer part of the drive. The other (smaller partition) has FS9 on it.So FSX and FS9 are physically separate from each other and also from Windows which is on another drive. I already have Diskeeper and as it was a CD purchase I can run it on as many PCs as I like.I may still purchase a single licence just to keep FSX sweet although I remain sceptical as to how much I would benefit from file reordering. I think if you have all software on a single drive then it makes sense but my install of FSX is pretty well isolated anyway.Would I really notice if FSX loaded up 5 seconds quicker than now? :-hmmm Call me old and cynical but if defrag software is so good why do they keep bringing out new versions that claim to be bigger and better than the previous version? :-roll

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, I have e-mailed U.D support and asked them to contribute to this thread?

Dave Taylor gb.png

yip thats a fair comment RayI guess it comes down to personal trial and error and what seems logical.I live in New Zealand and am working on a rather large junk of photo scenery and to me I at least like to think that when I'm testing it out that the hard drive file accesses get the first bite at forwarding those files and stuffing them down FSX's throat so to speak like first in first served and If that reduces blurries and speeds up photoscenery transitions as well as hopefully promoting an orderly lineup of organised generic textures which for me are the UTX USA CANADA and GEX enhanced textures then I feel happy and cannot think of a more logical way of promoting your choice of filesI'm not really concerned how long it takes my meager single core 3800 to plant me on the tarmac its more of interest to me that fsx engine doesn't have to travel in fits and starts all over the harddrive to retrieve what could be essentialy alphabeticaly lined up logical sequences of files.Still if you have the time and motivation to give it a whirl as a fully working trial I say go for itReordering of files makes sense to me as my photo scenery project files are named in such a way as to be accessed in a logical pattern if they are sorted alphabetically or even just given high performance treatmentanyhow interesting stuff I like reading the blogs on defraggers as they turn up some interesting points and as long as people discuss them and OS's get more intelligent in there resource allocation its all healthy thinking for those who get new and more efficient ideas on the subject , sure there is alot of boosting in this department and alot of I feel type language but I really believe there is room for planned intelligent file transfer and not just the near useless jostling for defrag championships like 2008 version of this or that is prettier and might help you enter into a medatative state as you follow the blocks around lol however I confess I do watch the dam things shifting around like I'm on some high tech star trek enterprise and have to make sure they all do as there told because the mission is criticalCaptain Kirk out . I must be tired, oh no hang on the MFT doesnt look like its in the right place I must insert the quantum perfectdisk lightyear edition crystal to realign it allOK i'll shut up now lol the diaz apam is kicking inNite all