Sign in to follow this  
FlyinIron406

Widescreen Monitors? Go or no go for FS9 and FSX?

Guest Hedgehog

I agree with most of the posts above...Widescreen is the way to go...The adjustment in FSX corrects any distortion, and in FS9 it is barely noticeable...Slightly oval gauges, but not enough to worry about...You soon get used to them...Good luck!

Guest Lith1um

I like it, but lcd's are very subjective thanks to their various panel technologies. Contrast and brightness adjustments are very subjective, what looks good to one person looks bad to the next. C/B settings have a huge impact on lcd image quality. You really need to optimize them in order to evaluate an lcd properly for your intended usage.I suggest buying one locally at costco or bestbuy and evaluating it for your own purposes. Take some time to get to know it in your home, and adjust it to a personal preference. If you are not happy with the quality, return it.As far as I'm concerned the perfect LCD doesn't exist yet, and I probably wouldn't be able to afford it yet if it did exist. Imo the hannsg 28 is a great bang for the buck. I'm willing to spend $500 on a monitor, but I'm not willing to approach or exceed the $1000 territory for a 28" lcd with cutting edge panel technology.Why does it get poor reviews by some reviewers? Well,Know that it is a TN panel. TN panels are 6 bit, as apposed to high end lcd's which are 8bit panels.TN panels display a lesser range of colors than 8 bit panels or crt's. 8bit lcd's (and all crt's) display 16,777,216 colors, what is commonly called true color or 24bit color. 6bit lcd's can only really display 262,144 colors. To get around this limitation, TN panels user dithering to create more colors than they are physically capable of displaying. In some instances it can be noticeable.TN panels typically have a lower contrast ratio than more expensive, newer panel technologies. This means they are not perfect at displaying very dark, or very light colors since they have a lesser range of colors.I figure around 2 years from now LCD technology will be more advanced and production costs should become more reasonable. By then there should be some really nice lcd's on the market. This hannsg will serve me well until then. It's not the best monitor ever made, it has weaknesses. I can live with them though.For reference, I used a high end 22" crt before buying this hannsg. Knowing the limitations mentioned above, I installed it and began to evaluate it. I did notice the lower color depth and contrast in some situations, and I wasn't sure if I would keep the monitor.I almost decided to switch back to my crt, grumbling in my mind about how much better it was in most areas. I decided to hook the two of them up next to each other. Viewing them side by side the first thing that popped in my mind is "my god, I can't go back to a monitor that small." Then I noticed how much brighter and crisper the lcd looked, hmmm it was better than the crt in some areas. I never thought in a million years that I'd think it better in some areas than my beloved crt, it took me by suprise a little. In the end the 28 lcd won the battle despite it's obviously lower contrast ratio and color depth. So I say it's a very subjective thing. While Baron, Sargeski, and I all like it, you may hate it.FSX is undoubtedly best on a widescreen monitor imo. Bigger the better imo. It's also awesome for desktop usage. You get really used to having all that real estate when multitasking. And it's nice being able to lean way back in your chair and read nice crisp text on a browser that's 28 inches wide and 4 feet away. Made me start wanting a cordless mouse and keyboard.Other than that,well packaged.1900x1200x60hz.very bright.crisp text. HDCP over HDMI.Includes dvi-to-hmdi cable. Also includes various audio cables and composite hdtv cables.attractive design, appears to be well made.Very light. Did I say light? My 22" crt was 85 lbs. Fugettaboutit.BestBuy model (which I bought) has adjustable height stand.Accepts vesa wall mount for that stealth monitor look.Looks great when I use my usb hdtv tuner.After using it I can't use a smaller monitor ever again.I think I may buy a 19 or 22 HannsG to place next to it. Then I can use it to display radios and avionics.Do I have you confused as I was yet? :-hah

I'll add to the positive Hanns-G reviews. I absolutley love this monitor with FSX. When you factor in the cost to performance this monitor is a no brainer and once you go widescreen in FSX you'll never go back.

It's good to see many people opting for the LARGE widescreen from 27" and up. The larger, the better, provided you get a res. of 1920x1080 or higher. The experience is just GREAT!!Abe