Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ftrusky

Using 2 separate hard drives with FSX

Two questions for those already using this type setup. 1. If I have my second drive designated as "D", when I install FSX to it I will have to change the letter "C" to "D" manually during the install, correct?2. When I subsequently install add ons with an auto installer will it automatically detect in the registry that FSX is on "D" and install to the correct drive? Or will I always need to manually point it to "D"? (I do know that, usually, the last page of the setup windows for any program or add on shows where it will be installed to after pushing the "Next" button.)Thanks in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

FtruskyI have windows xp pro installed on a separate HDD C: drive I have FS9 on a separate HDD E:I have FSX on a separate HDD V:1)FSX installed on the V: drive easily but for convenience I created the following folder structure first ie before installation:V:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X.FSX installed in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder.2) I have installed lots of add-ons - some will automatically install to the correct FSX drive, others need to be manually pointed to the V:drive and a very few insist on installing to the C:drive but will be able to see FSX on the V: drive.Hope this helpsPeterH

>Two questions for those already using this type setup. >>1. If I have my second drive designated as "D", when I install>FSX to it I will have to change the letter "C" to "D" manually>during the install, correct?>If you have a CD/DVD drive, it will usually be D:So that means a 2nd hard drive would usually typically 99% of the time be E:>2. When I subsequently install add ons with an auto installer>will it automatically detect in the registry that FSX is on>"D" and install to the correct drive? Or will I always need to>manually point it to "D"? (I do know that, usually, the last>page of the setup windows for any program or add on shows>where it will be installed to after pushing the "Next">button.)It depends on what the installer program reads. Chances are, it will pull the registry path. But I have seen some that did not, and I had to manually type in E:FSX as the install directory. Either way, it's not a major problem to me.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

>Two questions for those already using this type setup. >>1. If I have my second drive designated as "D", when I install>FSX to it I will have to change the letter "C" to "D" manually>during the install, correct?>>2. When I subsequently install add ons with an auto installer>will it automatically detect in the registry that FSX is on>"D" and install to the correct drive? Or will I always need to>manually point it to "D"? (I do know that, usually, the last>page of the setup windows for any program or add on shows>where it will be installed to after pushing the "Next">button.)>>Thanks in advance. 1. yes; only make that change and don't mess the rest of the line up.2. most of the time; otherwise you must browse to the correct location.

Thanks fellas. I'll be all set to go when I order my new box.

Don't forget you can "mount" your second drive on any folder on the first drive starting with NTFS and the disk manager in "computer management" from "control panel". You can attach to any existing folder and still use the same drive letter which is very handy.Etienne