Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daan_vb

New setup advice please

Hi there,After using my current PC for about 5 years I'm looking to upgrade it, but I'm a bit confused on what to get!For now I'm predominantly going to be using FS2004 and would like that to run as smooth as silk, but I may upgrade to FSX sometime in the future.I use a lot off addons such as AS6, PMDG, and large busy airports from aersoft etc so I want a lot of power for all the eye candy!So, I'm not sure whether to get a "Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz 1066FSB SLACR G0 Stepping" or a "Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 1333FSB" Which will give me the best performance.Also not sure about the graphics card. nVidia or ATI? I'm leaning towards a nVIDIA 8800 mother but heard nVidia cards have some problems with FS9. Can these problems be easily resolved... If go with nVidia should I get 8800 GT or GTS? (GTX might be a bit too expensive). I'd appreciate any advise.ThanksDan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here's a starting point:https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedW...aspx?ID=7159746Deep pockets will want to: 1) Wait 2 weeks for the Nvidia's new GTX280. Will it help FS? We don't know yet. + $500 (Nvidia just works fine on FS)2) Wait 4-6 months for the new Intel CPU Nehalem (Bloomfield). Entire platform change will be required. + $1500 - $2000 ++.FS9 (with 'the works') is a single core game runs well on a Core2 at 3.6Ghz. A dual or a quad will provide identical performance. You will need to Overclock either CPU to get that. I'm using FS9 with the PMDG 744, UT, FSG, Vatsim, Squawkbox, ETC with all sliders full right and I don't know my FPS. The counter stays off cuz everything's smooth as silk. The quad is just for FSX and for general future-proofing. A buy right now implies a builder will Not upgrade to Nehalem and wait 2 years for Sandybridge. Any dual core will never keep up as software transitions to multicore functionality. A quad at least stands a chance.

>Hi there,>>After using my current PC for about 5 years I'm looking to>upgrade it, but I'm a bit confused on what to get!>>For now I'm predominantly going to be using FS2004 and would>like that to run as smooth as silk, but I may upgrade to FSX>sometime in the future.>>I use a lot off addons such as AS6, PMDG, and large busy>airports from aersoft etc so I want a lot of power for all the>eye candy!>>So, I'm not sure whether to get a "Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz>1066FSB SLACR G0 Stepping" or a "Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz>1333FSB" Which will give me the best performance.>>Also not sure about the graphics card. nVidia or ATI? I'm>leaning towards a nVIDIA 8800 mother but heard nVidia cards>have some problems with FS9. Can these problems be easily>resolved... >>If go with nVidia should I get 8800 GT or GTS? (GTX might be a>bit too expensive). >>I'd appreciate any advise.>>Thanks>>DanI definitely wouldn't get an 8800 GT. Maybe a 9800 GTX. As far as the CPU is concerned, I would seek out some overclocking reviews for advice. And you must consider a good motherboard too.

I suggest the opposite. I definately wouldn't get a 9800 GTX over an 8800 GT. FSX is mostly CPU bound and an 8800 GT does more than well enough for single monitor FSX performance at high AA/AF settings.Gary