Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

assigning cores in fsx

Hi allcan someone please help me.This week I went ballastic and upgraded my pc to a q6600 with XFX 8800ultra xxx.My ram is 2gig in asus striker mobo.With this setup I thougt I will be getting minimum 20+ frames everywhere in fsx -The fact is I am not.With all the sliders maxed at KLAX with stock 737 and stock sceneryI got 3-5 frames.I must say I am shocked.I have noticed that only 1 core of the cpu was being used.The readingin cpu usage was only 25%.It is clear not all the cores are being used.Therefore can you please please tell me how to assign the other cores to fsx.I am very computer illiterate-please explain to me step by step.I hope with your help I can improve the frames-as I am feeling very depressed at the moment-my wife keeps on reminding me I was making a mistake.Please help me prove her wrong.Qas

>With all the sliders maxed at KLAX Thats a big part of your problem, look around these forums as there are plenty of tweak guides.I get around 20-40fps with a dual core and an ati x1950 pro with addon scenery and aircraft but you have to get a good balance of all your 'sliders' - don't max them out!Make sure you have SP2 installed as well

Guest YEGspotter

>>With all the sliders maxed at KLAX >>Thats a big part of your problem, look around these forums as>there are plenty of tweak guides.>>I get around 20-40fps with a dual core and an ati x1950 pro>with addon scenery and aircraft but you have to get a good>balance of all your 'sliders' - don't max them out!>>Make sure you have SP2 installed as wellA minimum of SP1 is required in order for FSX to utilize more than one core. FSX straight out of the box will not take full advantage of multi-core processors. As mentioned in the previous post, SP2 is an even better alternative.... (they're both free downloads....)cheers

Not only that but no PC that currently exists will get good FPS with 'sliders maxxed out'Even when you have installed the service packs you wont see all 4 cores loaded 100%, not even close in fact.A quad core does help but it's not 2x better than a dual core or 4x better than a single core.It's main function will be to offload some of the terrain threads.Overclock that Q6600 to 3.2-3.6 GHz and watch it fly.Then you will get good performance with realistic slider settings.

Many thanks everyone for taking time to reply.I have not installed sp1 or 2,hopefully that may improve things.I will sort this over the weekend.I am new to overclocking-hopefully I will master it and things will get better.Qas

>Not only that but no PC that currently exists will get good>FPS with 'sliders maxxed out'Gee and I thought my PC existed. I must be using a ghost. I have all mine maxed out and have my FPS locked at 26FPS and that is what I get. If I unlock it then it goes way up but why bother.>Even when you have installed the service packs you wont see>all 4 cores loaded 100%, not even close in fact.Again, mine does. Sure not when it is sitting around not doing much but when airbourne with my PMDG 744X and ASX weather all 4 cores are sitting around the 80-100% ALL the time.>A quad core does help but it's not 2x better than a dual core>or 4x better than a single core.Not quite but it sure makes a huge difference>Overclock that Q6600 to 3.2-3.6 GHz and watch it fly.Well I overclocked my Q6700 to 3.0Ghz and while it made a small difference it only gained a few FPS in the really loaded airports.Each machine is different. Even the same machine reformatted and reloaded will not be the same as I well know.Best way is to read all the tips to get the best graphics/fps set for your PC. Trial and error is the only way to go.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

Are you using default AI which activates the jetways? If so that is probably part of your problem. When you start up FSX the all the Jetways within 120miles will engage. This has a temporary detrimental effect on performance. After a few minutes, the FPS will pick up, unfortunately the effect is accumulative. As you fly into other high dense areas the same thing will happen. What you need to do is disable your AI aircraft from engaging the jetways. This can be done in 2 ways. Edit the aircraft.cfg file of your AI aircraft and modify the exit sections to be in FS9 format. Essentially removing the coordinate information. Or you can remove the exit statements altogether, but if you do this and fly default AC, The doors won't open and close. This is a major reason, FSX got it's poor performance reputation as people would see these low FPS and not realize what was going on in the background to cause it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

"Gee and I thought my PC existed. I must be using a ghost. I have all mine maxed out and have my FPS locked at 26FPS and that is what I get. If I unlock it then it goes way up but why bother."So you mean to tell me with bloom on, cars, boats, GA, Airline traffic, full autogen, shadows and all sliders fully right that you are easily getting 26FPS on a stock speed Q6700 while also running the PMDG747???You had better let everyone know where you purchased this magical Q6700 from!As for core usage, there have been benchmarks run with FSX to show core usage.Gary (RESET MCP ALT) was kind enough to run these benchmarks.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...20&page=3#32194Still, whatever works for you..........