Sign in to follow this  
Bjoern

Influence of L2 cache on FSX? (Or: Q9300 vs Q9450)

Too late, Nick. Already ordered that P5QL and the Q9300.You may slap me for this, but that's all my budget permitted.Wasn't there something about a FSB wall in the Quads? It's said to occur between 415 and 450Mhz FSB.Well, as long as I can clock Ram and FSB 1:1, I'm happy. Let's just hope that both the CPU and the Ram (OCZ 2*2048 DDR800) make more than the 333 respectively 400 Mhz.If the Quad reaches its 3Ghz (7.5*400), I'm going to be happy. This should be well more powerful than my E6600. With 427FSB, I'll have as many Mhz as my E6600 has now - the optimum result.When I did my overclocking trials last year I found out that you don't even need a high multi for good results in FSX. FSB seemed to be everything.I think I've even noted that back over in that monster of an OC thread at SimV (those were the days, btw...lol!).As for the P5Q itself, its P43 is designed for FSB 1333 operation (like the P45), but the mainboard manufacturers usually say that FSB 1600 is perfectly doable via overclocking - I guess the heatsinks are considering this.Additionally, the northbridge is now 65nm instead of the 90nm of the P35 -> less energy consumption and heat.As for the bottleneck, I guess you'll be giving my a lecture about the age and uselessness of an overclocked G80 8800GTS in your next post. LOL!Unless SSDs drop in price to an Average Joe's level, the vid card will be the next item on my upgrade list.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

>I love a paradeSorry Nick, but woe is me (tongue placed firmly in cheek).You sound like you're being ganged up on. What's wierd, is I have seen other times when others have and will blindly come to YOUR defense in these forums - and then that is ok - it's NickN man cmon.Seems slighly hypocritical to whine about it, though I realize you have no control over what others do.>Engrish is not my specialty but I can read and knew exactly>what you were referring to with your comment irocx. Did you? What I was trying to gently imply is that most here are grown adults and, as another poster pointed out, we usually don't take any one or two or even three opinions from the net blindly - we are capable of doing our own vetting of the information and opinion being presented. Your contrary opinions of Sam and others are welcome, but I think you began to take on a role of "savior" a bit too much. That is why I facetiously implied "I feel much safer now">Good response though... its in the spirit of the choirThank you. :-hah>And just because I decided to swing back after taking abuse>from Sam for months, does not mean anything. He should have>considered his actions before taking the steps he did in the>last week.Quite honestly I don't know to what you refer butif that's the case, then I'll repectfully submit that it seems he's in the wrong too. We all have the right to our opinions.>Sam does not address others in this forum as he does or has>with me. He directs his efforts in disproving, not asking how>or why. Instead he simply took on the role as the person who>knew better and was going to prove things I posted, wrong.>>>>Yes, I could have ignored it like I did in the beginning but>to be quite honest I simply grew tired of being abused like>this forum has been for a long time.I guess I don't see or read what you have, Nick. I think it's a great forum and insight and opinions from both you and Sam and the others have helped make it that way.>Probably not my shining moments in life but hey, I'm too old>to care at this point.Nick, FWIW, I don't know you from Adam, but through the years, I see and regard you as one of THE top contributors to the community. Your passion, knowledge and skills regarding MSFS can never be questioned and that has never been, nor will be my intent. I just think that a man of your advanced intellect wouldn't waste his time trying to prove or disprove anyone on any topic, particularly in the manner in which it occured. JMHO. Peace man and thanks for all you've done and will do the rest of us - makes our simming lives much better.Regards, Kendall#1: E8500 @ 3.95 - HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - XG's 174.74 Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

>I remember I went through a system with someone at SimV and>you monitored the process as I walked him through everything>from modding the tower for airflow to the PSU, the BIOS to the>memory timing tricks.. as I recall you got your system stoked>at the same time so you already have the info around that to>judge what

Guest Nick_N

> guess you'll be giving my a lecture about the age and uselessness of an overclocked G80 8800GTS in your next post. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Same old Bj

Guest Nick_N

>>P.S: Any hints on how to give hardware a good dustoff? It>looks just like on the moon in the case (except for the CPU>cooler)!Dust off? Compressed air in a can works with a dry and very SOFT bristle tooth brush to -----gently---- (dont go crazy) loosen up the dust, unplugged from the wall of course.

Guest simjunkie

Memory is 4 Gb (2 sticks) Corsair dominator PC28500 running, w/400FSB, at DDR2 1000 5-5-5-12, tRD6.I can absorb the cost if I will see improvement, even if it's not a huge one. -J

Guest simjunkie

LOL! I use a Sears air compressor, my neighbors must love me. My computer doubles as an air purifier!-jk

Guest Nick_N

Yes, you will see an improvement as long as you can get it into the 450MHz range set the CPU Strap to 333 in the BIOSGood luck and enjoy your upgrade

Guest Nick_N

>>Nick, FWIW, I don't know you from Adam, but through the years,>I see and regard you as one of THE top contributors to the>community. Your passion, knowledge and skills regarding MSFS>can never be questioned and that has never been, nor will be>my intent. I just think that a man of your advanced intellect>wouldn't waste his time trying to prove or disprove anyone on>any topic, particularly in the manner in which it occured. >JMHO. Peace man and thanks for all you've done and will do the>rest of us - makes our simming lives much better.>>KendalI did not come to this forum to prove, disprove, show-up, attack. test anyone or to save anyoneI came here to share knowledgeWhat I got in return, I won

Guest simjunkie

Thanks Nick.And thank you Bjoern for sharing your thread with me.-J

>Naaaa>>Actually that 8800GTS 640 is better than most cards for FSX so>you are safeYeehaw! Paaaartay!>If you remember from the simV thread it was not so much the>FSB but what you were doing to the chipset and how it>addresses the memory as you increase FSB. 420 is actually a>"gear shift" point on many boards and I think the 975 was one>of them.. its been a while.I think not. Since my Ram must be running at the brink of its capacity - it's quite a jump from 333 to 400 - I stopped fiddling after I cracked that 401 Mhz wall.>You may need to do a little surgery on that boards>heatsink... perhaps even add a fan to it... remember what I>had the person do at SimV on that budget board he had? We got>it singing by a simple fan addition to the chipset heatsink.>>Check it out and see how hot it gets.. they do run warm even>on the die shrink so dont be surprised if you find it gets>toastyI think six case fans should keep the air in good motion above that heatsink.I tested my P5W with its plug-on fan a while ago. It just worsened things, so I'm pretty confident that those fans will keep the NB cool enough.Temps are okay. Provided that the heatsink is as efficient as the one on my board, the increase should be plus/minus zero. Add more load, subtract the "smaller die" bonus.As far as I could read, the P5Q doesn't seem to have temperature problems concerning overclocks.

Guest Nick_N

Pop over to Simforums if you have any more questionsin the Ground Environment areahttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=38I am quite busy with GEX right now so I dont have a lot of time to go through things step by step but if you get stuck with something shoot me a message over there and I will try to assist