Sign in to follow this  
northridge

Help me spend some money please

My spex are these;XP Sp2 / FS9 Sp1 / Amd 64x2 4200 / Asus A8N-E / nVidia 7900Gtx / 2Gb DDR2 / 500w Psu.I run RC, ASky and FSCommander on a networked laptop, so I'm not

More CPU.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Yes more cpu, *but* that is not the whole story. You have an ASUS A8N-E motherboard. This is a socket 939 board, unless I'm mistaken and they made an AM2 version, which I doubt if memory serves.Because you have a Socket 939 motherboard, there are very few faster cpu's for that board, than what you already have. In other words, you've about maxxed your board.You would have to go to an AM2 board to run significantly faster cpu's (like 5000+, etc.).You also don't say if this is FS9 or FSX but I assume FS9. Either way, cpu is the first thing you should upgrade...and in your case that would probably involve a motherboard upgrade, too.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

It won't help you spend any money, but overclocking the 4200 CPU from 2.2 to 2.7 GHz would give you the equivalent of a 4800 CPU (?)ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

I just replaced my mobo - like for like - as mine and the psu were mysteriously burnt out after nearly a year in storage and a transatlantic flight. It wasn't expensive but even so.....Overclocking - perhaps it's time to have a look at this mysterious subject.Can someone please recommend a guide or a how-to that I should study before making any move? Is there a step-by-step guide for Amd?Thanks for you input, guys.

>Overclocking - perhaps it's time to have a look at this>mysterious subject.>Can someone please recommend a guide or a how-to that I should>study before making any move? Is there a step-by-step guide>for Amd?Your motherboard manual will contain some information on the overclocking options in BIOS. If you don't have a manual, you can download it from the ASUS website. For a tutorial on overclocking AMD processors, go to:http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t151373.htmlArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

RE: "Help me spend some money please-----"I would spend that money on a couple of monitors and an extra, simple PCI video card. That's all you need to get triple views and a 135

I shall be doing an OS and FS reinstall within the next few days (just wish it would stay clean and fast afterwards, but know from experience that it will clog up and bog down in a few months) and will bone up on the tutorials and give overclocking a try.Thank you for the hints and links.