Sign in to follow this  
arrvoo

Race Practice Thread #5

I'm going to send the baton over the North Atlantic (Iceland, Greenland, Nova Scotia etc) and then possibly through Canada, Alaska and then Russia.This is, of course, just a suggestion and the baton can be taken anywhere an individual desiresAnyway i'll take the baton from EDDF to EGPE in the P51H

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Headwinds all the way to Iceland on a cold dark nightFlying Hornet on Avsim Server and TS

Off to Greenland in the dark. Could not make BGBW so am going for a 3900' gravel strip in the dark in the pony.

Too Dark, Overcast 2200, Winds 50@23knts gusting, moderate snow and minimal runway lights. I saw the runway lights briefly before stalling and then I lost it.

Taking the baton to the west coast of Greenland in the Avanti.

Thing I learned:1. Check on no PA rules 2. The avanti's hydrolic pressure switch on the VC doesnt work3. The gear can be hand cranked when you have no hydrolics4. Its good to remain calm, push on, and solve problems when you have time5. Unlike the pony, the avanti can take a pretty hard landing.6. The avanti is so fun I was catching myself clearing my ears when changing altitudes7. The overspeed light on the avanti is too conservative. 0.7 mach seemed best and didnt trigger duenna.8. 25knt rear left quarter winds make for hairy landings.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166346.jpg

I would assume its so conservative because of how easy it is for a sudden wind change to take out the plane when your close to the envelope.

Not sure how but No 2 engine locked up at 40% throttle . Would not cut off so could not restart engine so had to come in balancing with other . Bit windy too . Bumpy but satis landing . Bugger to stop too :)

Good job, Bry!My guess is that you used the MP chat window, and accidentally entered something containing an E while the chat window, didn't have focus = only 1 engine reacts to throttle...BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

thx Sven I`ll look into that 1 . Would rather not have to do that again especially if at night at an unlit short runway :(Yes that is what I did :)