Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Another MSFS Around-the-World Race "Leak"

From the Executive Committee on behalf of Matt, Mike and Ian--------------------------------------------------------------------With the MSFS Around-the-World Race set to begin in about a week - the Executive Committee would like to 'leak' one item.This year's race will offer a bonus for a landing and takeoff at the old Hong Kong Kai Tak airport.This airport is present in FS2004 and FSX listed as VHHX - however it is closed and unlighted in both versions.This was a major commercial airports. Pilots may choose to add lighting, navaids and parking spots if they wish to this airport. There are also several excellent FS2004 and a FSX AFCAD type files available for this airport.Jim Vile's files offer great enhancement with very low FPS impact and very accurate approaches. They are available free on Avsim.com from the file library. These include an ILS for landing on Rwy 31. But understand that the approach called ILS for Rwy 13 is not a normal ILS approach - but a trick he has to use to make AI aircraft fly the Checkerboard Approach.There is a new, excellent freeware scenery available for this airport - 9 Dragons - on Avsim and FlightSim. RTWR pilots are strongly cautioned to test the frame rate impact of this extensive scenery on their computers before using it during the race.RTWR pilots should always test all airport enhancements prior to the start of the race.--------------------------------------------------------------------Reggie Fields

Reggie, I swear you have read my mind!I have the fantastic 9Dragons scenery, and I was just thinking: What a great idea to have Kai Tak in the race! Think I know what I'll be doing tomorrow :)One question, though: Are we talking landing with any aircraft or should it be an airliner for a real challenge?EDIT: If you want to try out the 9Dragons scenery, be advised that the install procedure is a bit tricky (but very well documented), so you don't want to install this the night before the race!!!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Use of that or any scenery or addon is strictly optional - up to the individual pilot.The airport can be used in it's default FS2004 / FSX format. It's just harder in that mode and night landings on unlit runways are not realistic.We are NOT planning to require a specific aircraft or type of aircraft beyond normal race eligible aircraft.

Hi again,Well, if that is the case, I will NOT recommend using an airliner. Reason: Unless you turn off crash detection, you will either do a building crash or you're too high. I've tried a number of times with the P-38 a bit high (but not too hot). No problems there, but I've yet to put the default B747 down with crash detect on. And of course, in RTW you must fly with CD on.In fact, it's a bit of a showstopper for me. It feels silly not know whether or not you got it right, when CD is off. Of course, I usually know, but still...Too bad, it's really such a great scenery!!!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Sven,Sorry to hear that the great 9 Dragons scenery will not do the job for the RTWR.The Jim Vile scenery (the Active ILS part) adds the necessary functional ILS and runway lighting -- and it adds a little eye candy. (Nothing like the 9 Dragons, though.)(Great in FS9, I haven't tested in FSX.)http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchBest,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Mike, Well, as I said: This SHOULD only be a problem with airliners. Actually, it may be double Jeopardy: As you bank, your right wing (pretty long on a -400) will be that many feet lower than the fuselage, and I think that is where the problem lies. In smaller aircraft you can keep it higher for a bit longer, then drop quickly towards the threshold, then recover. Also, the wings are not so #### long.I really think it's about altitude, I have done several take-offs with LDS-767 from RWY 31. If you don't dawdle near the ground, you are in great shape. So: Doable, but risky.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

I downloaded 9 Dragon version 2. In the manual on page 41 it is stated that Crash Detection is not simulated, causing CD MUST be turned off, otherwise "you will probably always crash just at threshhold."So not good for the race.Too bad after reading the manual, it looks great.I will though install it on my new Game PC (Intel Quad 6600 & GEFORCE PX8800GT & 4GB RAM)

Jock Hartvig Andersen,

EKCH, EKAT

Its a lovely scenery pack . I have had a few "collisions" initially with "virtual" buildings on the finals turn in the 747 but if you try a little more "YAW" or rudder into the final turn and less of an Aileron Bank then the R/H wing drop is fine with no collisions :)

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png